New Caches, How long until they post

SuzeeeQ

I got notification over 2 hours ago that a new cache has been posted, however, when I log into it, it shows not there yet.  Is this normal, I don't remember having that issue before.  It was with in 5 miles of where I live so I thought I would get a good chance at an FTF, but now I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, SuzeeeQ said:

I got notification over 2 hours ago that a new cache has been posted, however, when I log into it, it shows not there yet.  Is this normal, I don't remember having that issue before.  It was with in 5 miles of where I live so I thought I would get a good chance at an FTF, but now I don't think so.

It may have been disabled by its owner if they noticed a problem straight after it was published (or perhaps they hadn't put the cache out yet) or it may have been retracted by the reviewer if it was published by mistake or an issue came to light. What is its GC code?

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It may have been disabled by its owner if they noticed a problem straight after it was published (or perhaps they hadn't put the cache out yet) or it may have been retracted by the reviewer if it was published by mistake or an issue came to light. What is its GC code?

If it was disabled it should be there on the map, greyed out..... if retracted, you won't find a sniff of it anywhere..... 

19 minutes ago, SuzeeeQ said:

Was it the Van one?

I have notifications set for "retracted" geocaches.

10 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Not on the app, though, it doesn't show disabled caches.

That shows how much I use the official app I suppose.... :)

Website and cachly - greyed out. Why is the official app so dumbed down?? This is a serious question. Maybe there needs to be a 'remove training wheels' switch in there somewhere....

Cachly even shows you where your unpublished hides are on the map - this is extremely useful, yet nowhere in any 'official' app/map is it available..... sorry - off topic rant over.....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, lee737 said:

That shows how much I use the official app I suppose.... :)

Website and cachly - greyed out. Why is the official app so dumbed down?? This is a serious question. Maybe there needs to be a 'remove training wheels' switch in there somewhere....

I'm kind of glad it doesn't show disabled caches as it stops the uninitiated from going out and trying to find them. I have a bunch disabled at the moment due to weather-related track closures and, from what I've seen of some of the tracks that are still open, it's probably not a good idea for people to go traipsing in there.

8 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Cachly even shows you where your unpublished hides are on the map - this is extremely useful, yet nowhere in any 'official' app/map is it available..... sorry - off topic rant over.....

Yep, that would be very handy :).

I've seen this happen before. That time it was a cache that was supposed to be published at a specified date and time (to coincide with an event) but was published by mistake before that. The reviewer or the owner immediately noticed the mistake and the listing was retracted until the proper time. The notification emails had already gone out though.

We had a similar experience after an event last weekend. 5 caches published at the scheduled time. Locals got the email notification and were able to open the cache page through the email link. It was about 45 minutes later before the new caches appeared on the app.