Anyway to Use GVN Maps in Mapsource?

mxz

Is there anyway I can use QVN maps in mapsource? I have mapsource and a friend has the atlantic provinces QVN disk, They have a lot more detail than the mapsource canada maps. is there anyway to use them in mapsource..I'm new to all this mapping stuff and don't really know what to look for or use..

thanks

randy

Garmin's MapSource can input and output various data formats. Unfortunately, the maps themselves are not one of them. MapSource can only use its own proprietary vector maps.

There are numerous other mapping applications that will read many map formats, including user created and calibrated raster images. Again, none of them will read in the proprietary MapSource format either.

Naturally, this restriction applies to the the uploading of maps from your computer to your mapping GPSr as well. Garmin receivers can only use MapSource maps.

Ok what I really want to do is just be able to plot my hikes on a map of my area and download the points into my Garmin GPS. I just bought the Navitrak software of Keji and Cape Breton. The mapsource maps of my area aren't very good. and the QVN is really good, I don't really want to spend the $140 to register the QVN when its not mine anyways..to me thats a lot of money just to plot points..Can the Navitrak upload to my GPS?

Thanks

Randy

Registered version of Ozi can import QVN maps. The last I checked, registration cost about as much as registration of GPS option for TTQV which comes with QVN maps.

As a person directly involved in re-sale / distribution of QVN maps, I can't help but notice that it appears that the original poster may not have QVN maps legally - he's friend has them. It is a breach of copyright to copy the maps. OTOH, if you he is just using them on his friends computer, nothing wrong with that.

If about a dollar a map (when bought in a QVN set) is out of budget, one can use free Toporama maps.

Stay honest, sleep well ;-))

Please, don't breach copyrights, in the long run it's all the legit users who pay the price for pirated software.

Andrew Kalinowski

www.GPSNuts.com Recreational GPS and mapping (hobby)

www.CanadianMaps.ca Raster topo (and some other) maps