firecrackers

hkmp5

The only way I could say yes to this, is if the cache is in a location is only accessible by vehicle, and therefore adult supervision when it is opened.

A cache in an urban park that any 13 year old with matches and access to the next door neighbour`s yappy pekinese dog can get at is only trouble waiting to happen.

I`ve done the military firecracker (Artillery simulator) in an ammo can before. Most impressive. Even more impressive if you tie it to a rock and throw it into water. icon_eek.gif But, I digress...

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

quote:
Originally posted by SA80:

Is it ok to put Firecrackers in geocaches?

IMHO the answer is NO! I don't think that the administration folks would release the cache to the listings. Why take a chance with the safety of cachers who will find it?

Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

quote:
Originally posted by GPComd:

"...I`ve done the military firecracker (Artillery simulator) in an ammo can before. Most impressive. Even more impressive if you tie it to a rock and throw it into water..."

I don't remember ever being taught (or teaching) those particular variations on the proper use of CF pyrotechnics. Please don't tell me that these were ArtySims which you 'borrowed' subsequent to making your "...I have no live rounds, empty casings or pyrotechnics in my possession..." declaration; on second thought, it's probably better that I don't even ask that question...

No, not borrowed. This was for an actual lecture/demonstration on the use and misuse of pyrotechnics. Part of it was to show the explosive effect of arty sims in an enclosed space. We used to use helmets for this, can`t do it with the Kevlars. The water one was to end an argument over whether or not they could be command detonated under water, or used as an early warning device. It worked, we used it in the defensive plan. nuff said.

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

quote:
Originally posted by SA80:

Is it ok to put Firecrackers in geocaches?

I can't speak with any authority regarding the official policy but my opinion would be: "Don't think it's a good idea." Part of the issue being little cachers finding them. And alos the inherent "potential for an accident" that any firework is gonna present.

Be interested to see what others think.

DD icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GPComd:

"...This was for an actual lecture/demonstration on the use and misuse of pyrotechnics..."

Whew... you had me worried there! With all of the 'stuff' going on these days, the last thing anyone needs is for something like ArtySims to become the latest in underground 'recreational' crazes.

Your comment regarding exploding ArtySims underwater brought to mind an experience I had while serving with UNIFIL back in '78. Our south Lebanon base camp was located along a stretch of rocky Mediterranean beach which had been used by off-duty Canadian soldiers for swimming. However, this all changed once we realized that the local kids were snorkel fishing off the same beach using fist-fulls of C4(!); they'd snorkel out with the C4 held above the water and, when they spotted a school of fish, lob the charge into the sea ahead of them *PHUMP!* ...the fish would 'stun', float to the surface, and be netted by the kids (I actually have play-by-play photographs of this - complete with water spout). This went on for quite awhile, but it wasn't until we noticed that not all of the charges being thrown were exploding (with the ones that didn't being left to wash up who knows where along the rocks of the shoreline) that the beach was put off-limits to the Canadians. That aside, the other concern it raised was that if these kids had access to C4 for 'fishing', how much of the stuff did Mom and Dad keep at home for 'business' icon_eek.gif ?!!?!!!

A totally, totally different world...