Victoria Cache Machine

GroundClutter

Wanted- machine partner.

I'm just curious how many of us will be attending this event. I'm really looking forward to it. Would anyone like to team up in my car? I've got 2 FRS's a BFL, Garmin Legend, and can have a cooler of snacks and bevies as incentive. I've done a bunch of the caches so I can point out a few, if you could do the same.

Sheesh...I think I may have started a new trend. Geocaching personals... icon_smile.gif

Step away from the tupperware!

Wanted-Good fishing holes for my husband while I CACHE!

If any of you locals could help out with some recomendations on nearby waters full of fish I would be very greatful. We are also staying at Pauls. My husband will have our three childern with him while I'm out caching.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Wanted-Good fishing holes for my husband while I CACHE!

While eroyd would know this far better than I would, there are a number of options fairly close to town, namely Langford Lake, Prospect lake, Matheson Lake, and many others. I would check with the expert first, though. See above.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

supergenius, you don't say how old are the kids. Langford lake has a fishing float and a nice boardwalk/trail system, but the swimming is hit and miss. Thetis lake has a great swimming beach (no lifeguards this year), and lots of trails all around to various swimming/fishing spots. If you have a canoe or rowboat its even better. $2.00 parking fee, bring your loonies or toonie or they will tow you. These are both easily accessible. Matheson lake is a little farther out but again a nice swim/hike area.

Maybe we will see you at club babalo friday night?

It's not difficult to meet demands; just turn around and there they are.

cachewidow and Team 3 thanks for the response. Our three children are twins(9ys)girls and one 13yr boy. Yes my husband will have his hands full but he is a Super-Dad!

I will pass this information on to the hubbie and yes I will see ya'll at the event on Friday night.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 07, 2003 at 10:23 AM.]

I'm a little out of the groove as far as local fishing goes.(spent way too much time chasing tupperware)

Fresh water (non-tidal)). The lakes around Victoria are getting a little warm for good trout fishing. If you have a row boat, Durrance Lk. is nice, Propect can be good, Elk Lk. can be a bit of a zoo on weekends.

Thetis Lk. and Langford have trails and a few spots where you could access to fish from shore. All above lakes are stocked with trout and also have Small Mouth Bass. Last time I checked a non-tidal license was a little pricey for a day.

Tidal: Day license's aren't to bad. If you don't have a good boat you could rent one at Pedder Bay Marina and access some pretty decent fishing. I figure by the time you messed about with tackle, bait, fuel etc. your better off to get a charter. I wouldn't know who to reccommend but I'm sure there are a few private ones that aren't to bad.

If your cheap like myself:

Ogden Point breakwater right off the Victoria water front ain't to bad. Not sure of the regs.

Ten Mile Point can be good casting off the rocks. (Kind of boring for non-fishers) It is in the heart of the cache machine route.

James Island Wharf - a great way to kill an afternoon. Probably not going to catch a salmon but there are all sorts of creepy crawlies down there. A hunk of bait on the bottom might catch you a little bullhead or a sole, maybe even shark or 100lb skate. Don't forget to put down the crab traps.

East Sooke Park - has some great spots for shore fishing and some of our better geocaches. It's a bit of a hike with some rough terrain. Probably a good family post-cachemachine day outing.

Non Fishing Related

We need some help, either with buying/paying for sandwich and snack fixin's for Saturday's event, or with the preparation/ set-up. I have a list of stuff we'd like to get, if any interested parties could email me through the site, that would be awesome. We're looking to make about 60 sandwiches, with chips, pop, and that true Canadian delicacy, TimBits! icon_biggrin.gif Any takers?

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

quote:
How about a BBQ? Big 'ol box of dogs/burgers.

We went through the pros and cons on that one GroundClutter, and it was just too unpredictable, as to where everyone would be at lunch time. It would also have taken some considerable time to do the cooking on site, as well as permission to do it, wherever that might happen to be. I see fewer problems with sandwiches and fixings, and could use help if you can spare it Saturday morning. After all, you will still be here, as will the caches, after our visitors are gone. We will be preparing lunch Saturday morning, to ensure freshness.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

cacherunner, the newest Tim Hortons icon_smile.gif has opened in our neck of the woods, so I volunteer to bring by some timbits. Will t-up with you on Friday night as per time and location to make the drop? Or email me if that is easier, c/o eroyd if on saturday.

cachewidow

It's not difficult to meet demands; just turn around and there they are.

quote:
Who is this Cachewidow anyways?

eroyd, Cachewidow ran away with some has been defenceman named Tim Horton, with two TimBits.

Thanks everybody for a great weekend.

And now we rest.

Darn, myself, LucyandRicky missed the lunch rendezvous. Mind you we were there, but just as the group was leaving so we decided to skip lunch and trudge on.

Thanks to all the locals up there I had the time of my life.

I CAME, I CACHED, I COLLAPSED!!!!

You all are just the best group of people I will be back.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 13, 2003 at 07:16 PM.]

Thanks to all of you for tolerating the mob of us cachers overrunning the Saanich peninsula, for the excellent lunch, for providing guidance on the trail, and for the comraderie at Club Babaloo and Red Robin.

Special thanks to MarinerBC for coordinating so much for us, to GroundClutter and LumboTire for tips on the road, to Brieze and Buzzle for their fashion sense at 4:30 a.m., and to TEAM ALLCAPS for hiding enough caches to keep us from finishing at noon.

You folks have some breathtaking peaks and spectacular beachscapes. You're fortunate to live, work, and play in such a glorious area.

WWJD? JW RTFM.