distance move for a cache

j0ckser

Shortly after I placed a cache it was muggled. I disabled it. I wasn't really happy with the placement to start with, so I sought, and found, a more suitable spot. Knowing that I cannot move it out of the shadow of the initial GZ, I asked my reviewer to help (4-Apr-22):

"Hi. re: https://coord.info/GCxxxxx

I would like to move this to N xx xx.xxx W xxx xx.xxx. It seems there are no proximity issues, and I see no private property signs to prevent this placement. It's in an industrial area, so no schools or playgrounds.
Please and thank you."

No response.

I sent another note (5-Apr-22):

"BTW, re: https://coord.info/GCxxxxx, please let me know if possible, and if possible move as disabled so I can make changes to the notes, and prepare a cache to go in the tree."

No response.

I sent another note (17-Apr-22)

re: https://coord.info/GCxxxxx
"I hope I haven't done or said anything to upset you. I sent you an email 5-Apr about moving this. I'd rather not archive. Please respond.
..kind regards.."

No response.

Suggestions?

Edited by j0ckser
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, j0ckser said:

Shortly after I placed a cache it was muggled. I disabled it. I wasn't really happy with the placement to start with, so I sought, and found, a more suitable spot. Knowing that I cannot move it out of the shadow of the initial GZ, I asked my reviewer to help. No response. I sent another note asking if I had offended in any way. No response. I cannot find the emails I sent to quote the text or show dates.

Suggestions?

You can move the coordinate yourself up to 1/10 of a mile. However unless you've solved all the local caches, you can't know for sure if that new placement  conflicts with a current final.

Your situation is not unique; sometimes the coordinates need to be updated for various reasons.

So to answer your question: how did you contact your reviewer? Did you ask your reviewer to update the coords for you? 

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You can move the coordinate yourself up to 1/10 of a mile. However unless you've solved all the local caches, you can't know for sure if that new placement  conflicts with a current final.

Your situation is not unique; sometimes the coordinates need to be updated for various reasons.

So to answer your question: how did you contact your reviewer? Did you ask your reviewer to update the coords for you? 

I edited the post

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I read your edited post but I don't understand how you contacted the reviewer, through what method? I'm only asking out of curiosity because it seems something is amiss since you have not heard back 

I contacted her using the email access provided through her profile. I have checked my hotmail spam, and there are no messages from her in there.

She usually responds within a few days. I believe I have a good relationship with her, but now...?

You might try using the message format provided, I believe some Reviewers mention that is the best way to contact them.

Edit 4/28:  Whoops, I erred! The reviewer I used as a reference, but not identified here, says to contact him by email, notht message center.  

Edited by Jayeffel
correction of info
  • Funny 1
2 hours ago, j0ckser said:

I contacted her using the email access provided through her profile. I have checked my hotmail spam, and there are no messages from her in there.

She usually responds within a few days. I believe I have a good relationship with her, but now...?

Thank you.

My next guess is that she is on a long vacation! 

• Upvote 1

The preferred method of contact is site email, NOT the message center.  While some Reviewers use the message center, the only way to guarantee a response is email through the profile page.

Is the move less than 528 feet?  If so, just use an Update Coordinates log.  All of these moves go into a queue where a Reviewer can look at the changes and let the cache owner know of any concerns.  If your Reviewer is on vacation, they will have made arrangements for a different volunteer to monitor this queue.

Is the move greater than 528 feet?  If so, it may be easiest to archive the old cache and submit a new page for the new location.  Note that, if the old cache is less than three months old at the time of archival, your Reviewer may question publication of a new page under the "Cache Permanence" concept in the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.

3 hours ago, Keystone said:

The preferred method of contact is site email, NOT the message center.  While some Reviewers use the message center, the only way to guarantee a response is email through the profile page.

Is the move less than 528 feet?  If so, just use an Update Coordinates log.  All of these moves go into a queue where a Reviewer can look at the changes and let the cache owner know of any concerns.  If your Reviewer is on vacation, they will have made arrangements for a different volunteer to monitor this queue.

Is the move greater than 528 feet?  If so, it may be easiest to archive the old cache and submit a new page for the new location.  Note that, if the old cache is less than three months old at the time of archival, your Reviewer may question publication of a new page under the "Cache Permanence" concept in the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.

I used her email as per her direction several years ago.

As mentioned at the start, this move is greater than 528 ft, therefore requires Reviewer help.

The cache was published 3-Mar-22, by the Reviewer I am trying to contact.

I have just seen a several caches archived, disabled, and published by her. Perhaps she was on vacation <crossed fingers>

3 hours ago, j0ckser said:

As mentioned at the start, this move is greater than 528 ft, therefore requires Reviewer help.

I've seen a volunteer reviewer move a cache more than 528ft once.

Honestly, I was surprised that it happened then. But it was a puzzle cache, and it was moved from one in-theme location to a very similar in-theme location some distance away. I assume that the volunteer reviewer thought that the essence of the cache (the themed puzzle leading to an in-theme location) remained consistent enough to warrant the exception.

Anyway, it may happen, but as Keystone indicated, you shouldn't count on it happening.

12 hours ago, Keystone said:

Before making a remark to this statement I wanted to look up what exactly the "cache permanence" rule is but I was not sucessfull finding it.

Neither searching in the Help Center for "cache permanence" (too much search results) or "permanence" (no search result) nor looking for "permanence" within the "Geocache hiding guidelines" gave any results.

Only "Temporary caches intended to stay active for fewer than three months will not be published" I could find in the guidlines.

In my area I have seen a few caches published in conjunction with an event, that are intended to be found on the event day. Due to the placement location they clearly won’t (and don’t) last more than a week, if that - e.g. exposed to waves, tides etc. I guess it all depends on the local reviewer?

Edited by BirdSearcher
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, niraD said:
7 hours ago, Hynz said:

Only "Temporary caches intended to stay active for fewer than three months will not be published" I could find in the guidlines.

That is often referred to as the cache permanence guideline.

OK, so why - in reference to this guidline - should a reviewer not make a coordinate update for a recent placed cache?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Hynz said:

OK, so why - in reference to this guidline - should a reviewer not make a coordinate update for a recent placed cache?

I have recently followed a case of changing cache coordinates. It seems that HQ have no clear guidelines. Instead, they have delegated this matter to local reviewers. This is the guideline:

If the nature of the hide and hunt has fundamentally changed, submit a new cache page. If the nature of the hide and hunt has not changed, or if the original coordinates are wrong, you can ask a community volunteer reviewer to change the coordinates.

There is no suggestion about how far a cache can be moved. In the case I know, it was about a mystery cache. The cache location was irrelevant what comes to the nature of the mystery cache in general but reviewers were trying to determine an artifical distance limit. I have no idea what is the purpose of limiting the distance when is under 2 miles from the bogus but after some discussion between reviewers and the HQ they desided that the limit is 1640 feet in Finland.

I know that moving the cache >161 m can be done, and our reviewer has done so with my partner very recently when a cache was muggled shortly after publishing. Mine is being moved further, but while moving outside the shadow of GZ isn't usual, neither is it unheard of.

Eventually she will send me a nag message, at which time, I'll re-request a move.

Thank you all for your insights.