Any Viking, AB cachers? Need help with tbugs

nyisutter

Are there any cachers from or around Viking, Alberta here? I had an idea for some travel bugs and would like to start them in or near Viking. I am a huge fan of the Sutter Brothers, hockey players from Viking and would like to send some Sutter Brother hockey cards out as bugs, starting in their home town of Viking and then traveling to the various cities in their hockey careers. If you would be willing to help, I would mail you the cards/Bugs and have you place them in a cache near Viking.

If you can/will help, please email me at nyisutter@charter.net. Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by nyisutter:

Are there any cachers from or around Viking, Alberta here? I had an idea for some travel bugs and would like to start them in or near Viking. I am a huge fan of the Sutter Brothers, hockey players from Viking and would like to send some Sutter Brother hockey cards out as bugs, starting in their home town of Viking and then traveling to the various cities in their hockey careers.Thanks!!

Wow, great idea for a cache - but it may be a tough one to pull off. There are currently no caches in or near Viking, Alberta. The nearest cache is over 100 km (60+ miles) away to the east. It was placed a month ago and has not been visited yet. This area is quite rural and there are no active geocachers to my knowledge.

I am from Edmonton which is the nearest large urban center to Viking. It is about 135 km (85 miles) away from Viking. There are a number of active geocachers in Edmonton so it is a possibility. You could also try Red Deer which is about an hour and a half south of Edmonton - it is where most of the Sutter brothers played their junior hockey. There are a few geocachers there, plus Red Deer is on a major north-south highway so it gets a fair amount of traffic. There is a travel bug cache in Red Deer right now with a number of toy cars waiting to venture out on a "Cannonball Rally". About three have been picked up so far in the last month.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for the info. I kind of wondered. I have been through Viking and know it is a pretty small town in the middle of farm country so wondered if there were any caches. I have had a volunteer from Red Deer, which would have been the next stop for the Bugs anyway, so I think I will just start them there. I wish I could go up and plant them myself. It is beautiful up there!

HOw do you guys search for what is near you? I couldn't figure out a way to isolate provinces or postal codes. Do you just have to search from coords near you?

Ok, I have a Volunteer to place a couple of the brothers in Red Deer. Is there anyone else from Red Deer or Edmonton who would be willing to start some brothers on their journey? Part of their goals will be to have their pics taken at hockey arenas so if you are in Red Deer, I would like to have their pics taken at the Centrium and the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame while there.

Thanks for any help!