MS Streets & Trips 2003 Map Errors

PDOP's

There has been some discussion in previous threads (here's one) about errors in the 2003 Streets & Trips maps in Canada. I'd like to use this thread to collect reports of these errors so that future buyers will know what they are. Also comparisons with S&T 2002 would be welcome.

I'll start icon_rolleyes.gif

The new Island Highway (Hwy 19) on Vancouver Island is missing. This is a four lane highway completed a couple of years ago. S&T does have the original highway correctly renamed as 19A but totally misses the new one.

PDOP's GPS Pages

[This message was edited by PDOP's on July 01, 2003 at 10:15 PM.]

Oh Boy don't get me started...but if you want a good one try this. Find Cold Lake Alberta on S & T and start to zoom in, you will quickly notice that half the lake disappears EXACTLY on the Alberta/Sask. border. Also in Ontario HWY 416 is shown as a 4 lane hwy from Ottawa to the Ottawa River and then reverts to a two lane road, but it is 4 lanes all the way to the St. Lawrence River. There are other minor ones but there is not enough room here. But as a side note it works excellent for showing your caches and what caches you need to hit.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

Here are a few, although for what I use it for it does the job OK

Rivers disappear as you zoom in (The Thames puts in a brief appearance in London (Ontario that is) but is gone everywhere else)

Railroad tracks stop suddenly - the main line from Chicago to Toronto stops at the border but does reappear just West of TO

Addresses work off the forward sortation area code (first 3 characters) rather than local delivery units (last 3) - so according to S&T I live in London, Ontario which is 50 miles away. Even GC.com knows better than that and uses all 6 characters to locate me. But to be fair at least 2003 recognizes my street address which the previous version didn't.

Canadas Southernmost Stash on Pelee Island becomes a 2 day trip since it doesn't know that there are ferries from Ontario so it routes me all around Lake Erie. icon_confused.gif

And the most serious complaint of all try finding a Tim Hortons and it lists a lot but none of them are in Canada icon_mad.gif

But never fear S&T 2004 releases on July 21st and maybe it will be better. icon_biggrin.gif

The 2004 version is coming out that fast?? Wow, typically the new version was showing up November-December. They must be acknowledging that the 2003 version was seriously flawed. I am a big user of the 2002 version. The 'flaw' that I find is that in my neck of the woods, with all the farming, S&T shows many roads that have not seen action as roads since the horse and buggy days. These roads usually run between farmers fields. Granted, evidence that a road was once there is present, but it doesn't belong on a map. I find that the railway lines are completely hit and miss.

Bullzie

Thought I would add a serious Boo Boo. I used S & T to plot my route through Cornwall, ON for ""Tour de Cornwall"" and I ended up driving down a one-way street in the wrong direction. The instructions said "Turn Left". I turned left and was startled to see traffic coming at me. So watch out for unlisted one-way streets.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

Bump icon_wink.gif S&T 2004 has been out for a couple of weeks now. Has anyone checked it out? I've searched around a bit but so far not seen any reviews/comparisons with 2003.

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

I'm still using 2002 but though you'd like this one. I requested a route from Windsor, Ontario to Port Elgin, Ontario. The route calculated has me cross over to Detroit icon_eek.gif, travel thru Michigan to Port Huron, cross back over into Sarnia, and continue on from there. Estimated time to cross border each time....0 minutes icon_confused.gif.

Does 2003 do the same thing?

Actually I have Mapsend streets & destinations "Magellan" and I have my cordinates for my house marked on my Meridian and it has it marked just west of highway 2! I live 4 blocks west of 97st CastleDowns. Highway 2 runs through St Albert to westlock. A little off I would say. Not all town's in Alta are mapped also Go figure! Americans think we still live in Igloos.