MS Streets & Trips 2004

SylvrStorm

I'm not into the whole mapping software side of this (just use the basic yellow etrex, no bells or whistles), but I know some of you are. I was in Costco yesterday and saw MS Streets & Trips 2004 for $55. Don't know if it's any good, or if it's a good price, but thought I'd mention it.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

MS Streets & Trips has several issues which have been discussed elsewhere in these forums, however I find it indispensible for my Geocaching. (I am still using the 2001 version on my desktop and 2002 on my notebook.) Some of the ways I use it:

1) Download all caches in my area to the map using Easy GPS and GeoBuddy

2) This creates pushpins on the map. Clicking the pushpin brings up the geocaching.com web page for the cache.

3) Color code the pushpins for found, not found, mine, etc.

4) If planning to visit several caches in one day, use the 'route' function to find your best route

5) Connect the GPSr to the laptop and follow your movement onscreen in real time. I've done this on several flights as well--adds a whole new dimension to your flying experience!

6) Create special maps for special situations. E.g., I have a map dedicated to Vancouver Transit and all the locations it's been.

7) Track travel bugs. I'm currently engaged in a travel bug race with my brother-in-law and I monitor the bugs' progress with the map.

8) Use the map to look for promising new locations to place a cache.

I'm sure there are other uses I've missed, but that gives you an idea.

Great Tips Pharmadude.

I am currently using 2002 and like you I find it indispensible. I dont even know if I could find my to a cache parking area without it anymore.

One thing I do regret though, is some of the extra long walks I used to get pre MS S&T. Now I always find the right parking spot.

A couple of questions though.

• How do you manage your pin colors? I have a found and an unfound Easy GPS file sent weekly. Can you load more than one data set at a time?
  • I have heard of a patch to deactivate the time delay for GPS tracking. Do you know where I can find this?

Thanks for you help

You can steer all you want, but it is all for naught if your not moving forward!

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmadude:

Just took a look at gm100guy's link to the patch and discovered that MS Streets 2004 has fixed the problem and the patch is no longer required. About time!

Here Here!!!

I was looking at the packaging tonight and it does say 1 second updates.

I suppose it is too early for a review of 2004 version to know if they fixed the problem with the places database in the 2003 edition?

Thanks for the patch info gm100guy

You can steer all you want, but it is all for naught if your not moving forward!

Tried out my new patch tonight. Worked awsome. Thanks again gm100guy. Also got to try out my registered version of Ozi. Cery cool features in this software.

MSS&T much better in town, but as soon as your off the main grid the Topo's really do the trick. Well off to calibrate some more topos plucked from the NRCAN site