magellan or garmin....help?

Guest adleus

Hello my fellow Canucks! Help!

I was looking at the etrex vista. I have read in these forums that it has problems with reception under tree cover or in overcast. That would be bad. Our southern neighbours seem to like the meridian models but I don't think you can get Canadian map detail? Can anyone inform me?

Thanks!!!

quote:
Originally posted by adleus:

Hello my fellow Canucks! Help!

I was looking at the etrex vista. I have read in these forums that it has problems with reception under tree cover or in overcast. That would be bad. Our southern neighbours seem to like the meridian models but I don't think you can get Canadian map detail? Can anyone inform me?

Thanks!!!

Adleus I have the Garmin GPS V and am using the Mapsource City Select maps as provided with the unit. The detail is excellent particularly in major urban areas like most of Southern Ontario. Detail drops off when you get into smaller towns or less populated areas.

I'm afraid I can't comment on Magellan's equivalent as I have no experience with theirs.

If you want to see a sample, email me your email address and what city/town you are located and I'll send you back a print-out from the Mapsource map.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks Olar,

I found some map samples on the garmin website. Where did you buy your unit? How much do they go for?

Adam

[This message has been edited by adleus (edited 06 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Olar:

The detail is excellent particularly in major urban areas like most of Southern Ontario.

There's more to Canada than just Southern Ontario. The real country is West of Kenora.

tak1

It is hard to find good mapping software in Canada.The cheapest way so far is to get something like oziexplorer and scan and load your maps. I have seen the garmin gps map 76 and it's maps are very nice and detailed for my area (Ottawa)but usually no maps exist for my hunting (camping) area unless you get a fancy program like Quovadis $$$

Using OZI and the free maps (both 50k and 250k)from toporama work fairly well for me. They're not great, but they get the job done, giving me a really good idea of where I want to go and how to get there.

OZI also has a pretty good waypoint/route management system that works with most GPSr units.

We purchased a Garmin GPS V from Europe Bound in Toronto (Front Street), they've also got a store on King across from Mountain Equipment Co-op. The GPS V at Europe Bound was less expensive than at Mountain Equipment. I'm pretty sure that was true for all the GPS units. We've been happy with the detail Mapsource provides. I've heard of Fugawi as a source for Canadian map software but have no need to try it since Mapsource comes with the GPS V unit. Lastly, we have had good satellite reception although we've only been using the GPS V since December (no leaves on the trees)

Well like most of the others here I can't vouche for the Magellan equipment, but I do have a eTrex vista and a Lowrance Global-Nav12.

Reception issues will always abound with most GPSr equipment, They just love beautiful blue skies without a cloud to be seen. Once you start trudging around under the canopy or downtown in a city reception will always drop off.

As to the maps and mapping software I have yet to start looking for anything for my e-trex yet.

I have not lost my mind...........

I left it in a Geo-Cache somewhere..........