Birds of Prey Nests

I was thinking of an idea for a possible Waymarking category and wanted to share it here to see what everyone thinks of it.  

Over the last couple of years my children have become very interested in birds and therefore we have gone on some adventures looking for eagles.  In doing so, we have found a few bald eagle nests, which are very impressive as they are quite large.  Recently we have also seen two osprey nests, which are built atop platforms that have been set up for the purpose of allowing birds to nest on them.  We have seen other nests of birds of prey, such as hawks and owls, which were also large and visible from the ground.  These nests are often re-used by the birds for many years. 

This got me thinking that it would be great to document the locations of these nesting sites so that others could visit them.  I thought that perhaps the Birdwatching Locations category might be the place, but it states the following:  “The birdwatching location must be for the primary purpose of birdwatching, be designated by a government entity or other preservation society with interests in protecting birds and have a sign to identify the area for birdwatching.”    Most of the places where we’ve seen these nests would not fit these criteria. 

Therefore, I thought that maybe a new category could focus on nesting sites for birds of prey wherever they may be.   My initial thoughts on the details include:

• You must be able to verify that the nest is for birds of prey (eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, etc.) either by seeing the birds yourself or by some sort of other documentation, such as information from a news source or park website. 
  • You must be able to view the nest without disturbing it or the birds.
  • The coordinates for the waymark must be from the location from where the nest can be viewed, not the coordinates of the actual nest. 
  • The description would have to include specific details on where to see the nest from the coordinates, such as a compass bearing, description of the tree or platform, and approximate height of the nest’s location. 

I’d be very interested in knowing what you all think of this idea.  Thank you!

Edited by jonathanatpsu

On the other side of the state, a lot of areas here that have nesting are roped/fenced off with signage saying to stay out.

A bunch along the Delaware river we'd have to be in a boat to view them.

PA Game Commission (our state's largest landowner) for example requests a 1000' distance from nest, roost, or feeding areas.

But we have a "5" lengthy paddle-to multi that has bald eagles watching you from the snag trees (a ghost forest towards the back), and a few lakes north have them as well.

- These have little or no mention other than watch for them.  Some nests are visible from your canoe/kayak.

You covered most of the commonsense stuff, so I think it's a fun idea if you're sure any regulations are obeyed.  

I have come across a few in my travels and would think a new category could work in theory. Definitely prevalent, but I feel in some areas such as National Wildlife Refuges and other nature areas might have hundreds of them. However, I will say, the ones I have come across are usually by themselves. I would need to see the proposal to make a final decision. My advise, create a group to get started on the proposal.

Some questions that you'll need to answer moving forward:

Is a new category needed? Are these interesting enough that a new category would be needed? (I would say, for me at least, this is borderline. I could be persuaded either way)

How can you overcome instances of over prevalence such as in a nature reserve or national park? (something to be discussed here int he forums)

What would qualify a nest to be approved in this category? I think man-made ones should be the only ones accepted. Would natural ones be accepted too? The ones on tall masts with a small platform at the top. What if there's a large bird house type structure? Can that be accepted here too? (I'd say no, however these guidelines need to be fleshed out)

Just a few things to consider.

Edited by bluesnote

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is the primary legislation which protects animals, plants and habitats in the UK.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/wildlife-and-the-law/wildlife-and-countryside-act/

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, a wild bird is defined as any bird of a species which is resident in or is a visitor to the European Territory of any member state in a wild state. 

Game birds however are not included in this definition (except for limited parts of the Act). They are covered by the Game Acts, which fully protect them during the close season. 

Basic protection

All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see Exceptions), to: 

Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird.   

Wrong place, wrong time, you could fall foul of the law...

Some species eg Osprey, do have nest sites that can be viewed - from a distance - but then they would come under the Birdwatching Locations category.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/loch-garten/live-video-webcam/#webcam