Anyone know where to get a cheap GPS around Hamilton?

capjap

quote:
Originally posted by capjap:

Looking for an inexpensive GPS. I know Radio Shack sells them. Is there anywhere else I can find one around Hamilton?

I wouldn't by from RS - fine store but not the best prices. Walmart and preferabely Canadian Tire (best store in the world!) or check out LeBarons. There's one in Mississauga for sure. They have the best $$$.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I've been looking at the prices of GPSr's lately. I bought an Etrex Venture a few months ago and I think I made the right decision:

Etrex Yellow is $189 + $50 for the cable.

Etrex Venture is $239 and includes the cable.

Essentially for the same price you can have the Venture with its basic POI map, a cable to upload all the Geocache information you want. You also get the "click stick" and better resolution, more memory, etc etc etc!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I shopped around for a while, and noticed that the Wal-Marts and C/T stores in Hamilton all had different units, probably old stock. Dowsar Yachts is the listed Garmin dealer, but I didn't even bother dropping in there cuz they add a 20% 'boaters premium' to everything they sell. (past experience)

I finally found www.gpscentral.ca and bought online. Got what I wanted, for a pretty good price.

quote:
Originally posted by Balimbras:

I shopped around for a while, and noticed that the Wal-Marts and C/T stores in Hamilton all had different units, probably old stock. Dowsar Yachts is the listed Garmin dealer, but I didn't even bother dropping in there cuz they add a 20% 'boaters premium' to everything they sell. (past experience)

I finally found http://www.gpscentral.ca and bought online. Got what I wanted, for a pretty good price.

Arrgh! Too late, I was going to post a location for you to go to. Anyways, Downtown Toronto, Europe Bound has THE BEST prices on Garmin GPS units. Better then walmart, radioshack, Canadian Tire etc.

Thing is, do you pay to drive to Toronto, park and drive home, or do you pay for shipping? Same thing I guess!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Arrgh! Too late, I was going to post a location for you to go to. Anyways, Downtown Toronto, Europe Bound has THE BEST prices on Garmin GPS units. Better then walmart, radioshack, Canadian Tire etc.

Better than Canadian Tire??!! Say it ain't so.

Shame on you.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I think you talked me into the Venture, though I think I'd like to get the Legend. However, as a newbie, I wonder how much I will use all the features.

Going to take your advice, and give Europe Bound a phone call, then compare with Calgary. gpscitycanada charges $5 shipping and gpscentral charges $7. Both are in Calgary, but seems like you guys have had good experience with gpscentral, so I guess they get the nod.

Thanks for the help guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

Capjap take a look at http://www.gpscentral.ca/

They also sell the geocaching.com supplies like hats, shirts, travel bugs, etc.

Just to add to this...I just ordered my GPS unit and some tracking bugs from these guys and they were great! Ordered Thursday, received Friday. They were also very friendly and helpful! (Not to mention that even after paying shipping costs they are cheaper than most places here in Ontario)

Well I purchased my GPS over the border so I will not comment on pricing and so forth.....

I have dealt with GPSCENTRAL.ca before purchased a few things from them. They are really good about satifaction of the customer.

Now as to model(s) of GPS.....I have had in my time a Lowrance GlobalNav 12 which was nice at the time, but I have since upgraded to a Garmin eTrex Vista (I'm such a Technocrat) Gotta have the best.....

Not only do I use my Garmin for GeoCaching but I also have programmed in my drive to/from work on Toronto's Highways. That way I can monitor my Final ETA and call ahead if it looks like I'm going to be late.....

Also since I like to bike to caches when I can I have invested in a few Accessories, like a handlebar mount for my eTrex so I can monitor my location while travelling.

I have not lost my mind...........

I left it in a Geo-Cache somewhere..........