Curious about how others feel about this...

BullZie

Lately, many of the caches I have been to have contained cards left by other visitors to the cache that are pre-printed with their info and they just sign the date and toss the card in the bag with the log book. Now, I have an issue or two with this as these people do not usually log their find in the log book, are they in that much of a hurry to move on they can't take a few minutes to write in the log book? I can say in my 219 finds that I have always taken the time to record my thoughts in the log book. I just find that this is a very 'inpersonal' way of recording a find at the cache site.

Am I way off base on this one? Does anyone else have a thought or two on the subject?

That hasn't begun here on the West Coast yet, and I hope it doesn't. The fun of the hunt should be followed by taking in where you are, and recording what you went through to ge there, or what the view is like, or whether you hate the Toronto Maple Leafs. Say what comes to you. Don't throw a card in, and move on. It demeans the Sport.

quote:
Originally posted by Bullzie:

Lately, many of the caches I have been to have contained cards left by other visitors to the cache that are pre-printed with their info and they just sign the date and toss the card in the bag with the log book.

SNIPPED

I just find that this is a very 'inpersonal' way of recording a find at the cache site.

Am I way off base on this one? Does anyone else have a thought or two on the subject?

I've seen a few of these too... have to agree that dropping off a card rather than signing the book does strike me as suspicious... what I mean is this: when I log a find, part of the fun is reading earlier logs... it/s nice to know how people feel about the Maple Leafs (thanks vancouver) icon_rolleyes.gif And it's obvious in some cases that people have taken the time to put their thoughts down... Now, I am as guilty as anyone else of rushing some entries, but...

The point is that dropping off a card -- and not writing an entry -- does seem to indicate a certain lack of interest... maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

Anyhow, have fun!

DD

Well, this is something that has irked me for some time, and sometimes what I will do is take a look at the date on the card and then check the log book, and yes, there are times when there is a corresponding log, but more often there is no log to accompany the date on the card. I am not trying to point fingers or anything like that, I am just curious to see what others think of this practice.

Bullzie

I do both the card and the entry, every time, as I said. I see some people leave cards, some put stickers in the log. Some trade, some don't. I really can't see the problem no matter what people do in this regard. I know of at least one person who finds caches and does not log them anywhere, not even on the web site. For them the fun is in the finding, period. I can't see how the cards hurt anything. The people who use them took the trouble to make them, after all. To each his own.

I always sign and if I have them with me, I put my Sig (look left) logo as a sticker in the log. I also throw one of my cards in if I have one too.

I really like the cards and think they are pretty neat. Some people have put a lot of time and effort into these cards so I don't mind if they just leave a card.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by Fish:

It seems to me that if you take the time to hunt for a cache the least you can do is sign the log book...

I would agree, if all your going to do is toss a card in, why even bother signing/dating the card. I havent seen anything like that around here, if there are cards in the caches they are usally from who ever placed the cache, incase finder collect them?? As for finders leaving cards, the closest thing ive seen was one guy who had address label stickers printed up with info, and he would stick it to one side of the page and sign and make nots (took this left than etc) on the other side. I thought it was pretty cool, cause these labels had his pic, caches he placed, email, and even a quote (i think).

if cards bother you a great deal icon_mad.gif, change all the caches youve placed(if any) to include something in the description like "you must sign the log to claim this cache as a find". then whenever someone doesnt sign you can just delete their found log. course thats kinda being a prick. the other way to look at it is just ignore it, part of geocaching(the most important part IMO) is to get the seekers to come to place they might not go otherwise, and hopefully while there notice/learn something they did not know. if someone doesnt have the time to sign the log they probly arent paying attention to the area anyways... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

nice sig. icon_biggrin.gif, i had to think for a minute where i'd heard it icon_wink.gif , ive also seen a sig. line like:

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

"...I always sign and if I have them with me, I put my Sig (look left) logo as a sticker in the log..."

Had it made up in stickers, eh? Cool. icon_smile.gif

I 8 1/2 x 11 uncut label sheets at the Business Depot. They are great for stuff like that or Book Crossing labels. No more trying to find the right label, just print out and cut!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command