what do you wish?

khalua

I've been using my Vista with WAAS enabled in Calgary for over 4 months and have never gotten a WAAS signal. I live in the NW and have gone almost everywhere (often bike on Nose Hill) in Calgary with my Vista. I think in order for WAAS to work is to have a totally clear view of the horizon which is something Calgary lacks.

I always get 5-6m accuracy on my Vista without WAAS.

If you're only planning on using the GPS in Calgary, I guess you don't really need it. It's good to have just in case you're traveling to places and want to get more fun out of the GPS icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by masaki on September 29, 2002 at 01:50 PM.]

I've been using my Vista with WAAS enabled in Calgary for over 4 months and have never gotten a WAAS signal. I live in the NW and have gone almost everywhere (often bike on Nose Hill) in Calgary with my Vista. I think in order for WAAS to work is to have a totally clear view of the horizon which is something Calgary lacks.

I always get 5-6m accuracy on my Vista without WAAS.

If you're only planning on using the GPS in Calgary, I guess you don't really need it. It's good to have just in case you're traveling to places and want to get more fun out of the GPS icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by masaki on September 29, 2002 at 01:50 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by khalua:

I noticed the WAAS thread so is it beneficial to get it? I'm in the calgary area and want to learn as much as possible BEFORE i buy.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you started using a GPS?

khalua

I wish I'd known how much fun Geocaching was going to be... OK! OK! I'll quieten down.

I started with a very basic unit and wished I had maps almost from the start... Finding out ahead of time what the best route is either to a cache or between caches is a very useful tool... with Urban and rural caches.

Handheld compass is useful too...

WAAS is a nice to have if you are going to do any travelling east or west of Calgary... but "Standard" accuracy will get you close enough for most caches... I am in Ontario and the WAAS signal here is very erratic.

Take care

Decodoppler icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by khalua:

I noticed the WAAS thread so is it beneficial to get it? I'm in the calgary area and want to learn as much as possible BEFORE i buy.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you started using a GPS?

khalua

I wish I'd known how much fun Geocaching was going to be... OK! OK! I'll quieten down.

I started with a very basic unit and wished I had maps almost from the start... Finding out ahead of time what the best route is either to a cache or between caches is a very useful tool... with Urban and rural caches.

Handheld compass is useful too...

WAAS is a nice to have if you are going to do any travelling east or west of Calgary... but "Standard" accuracy will get you close enough for most caches... I am in Ontario and the WAAS signal here is very erratic.

Take care

Decodoppler icon_smile.gif

Ye get a GPSr with mapping capability, go to a store and play with both Magellan and Garmin units before buying.

Sad to hear WAAS signals do not come in CALGARY. In Toronto, it is really weird, some days yes some days no, regardless of location.

But the WAAS signal is sure to get better over time. As more birds are put up into the sky. But then again GPS signals in general are also sure to get stronger as more people demand it ie: private citizens and consumers that is...

lates...

I was wrong icon_biggrin.gif about WAAS in Calgary...

Today when I was parked at the Shell gas station across from Sunridge on 36th St. I got a lock on a WAAS and the accuracy was 2m!! But, as soon as I started driving again, I lost the lock and accuracy went back to 5-6m.

I took a pic when I was parked there.

http://members.shaw.ca/bthe/P0005758.JPG

[This message was edited by masaki on October 06, 2002 at 10:58 PM.]

I was wrong icon_biggrin.gif about WAAS in Calgary...

Today when I was parked at the Shell gas station across from Sunridge on 36th St. I got a lock on a WAAS and the accuracy was 2m!! But, as soon as I started driving again, I lost the lock and accuracy went back to 5-6m.

I took a pic when I was parked there.

http://members.shaw.ca/bthe/P0005758.JPG

[This message was edited by masaki on October 06, 2002 at 10:58 PM.]

Could you send a bigger picture I couldn't make out the detail in that tiny one you posted.

On second thought, never mind I'll just drive from here in Ontario to you and look at it in person, it will take less time than downloading again. ROTFLMAO

Seriously how did you know you grabbed the WAAS bird, I can't see it specificly mentioned on your display?

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

What? 233KB is too big? or were you referring to the dimension of the pic? Anyway, I made it into a link instead. Beware people!! The filesize is 233KB 1534x1024.

How did I know there was a WAAS bird? Check out page 57 on the Vista's manual. icon_smile.gif

Second thought.. i'll just point it out here. WAAS is #35 on the screen. According to the manual, WAAS satellites are #33 or above.

[This message was edited by masaki on October 06, 2002 at 11:27 PM.]

What? 233KB is too big? or were you referring to the dimension of the pic? Anyway, I made it into a link instead. Beware people!! The filesize is 233KB 1534x1024.

How did I know there was a WAAS bird? Check out page 57 on the Vista's manual. icon_smile.gif

Second thought.. i'll just point it out here. WAAS is #35 on the screen. According to the manual, WAAS satellites are #33 or above.

[This message was edited by masaki on October 06, 2002 at 11:27 PM.]