Hurricane Juan in Nova Scotia

Ducky

icon_frown.gifAnyone know how their caches made out yet! Boy did Juan make a mess of the halifax area I just got my power back after 2 and a half days in the dark. (yahoo HOT shower icon_biggrin.gif). A lot of houses here in Dartmouth are missing sideing but the larger buildings lost most of their roofs in CFB Shearwater, what a mess to clean up. Now I have to go check on my caches, But be careful as there may be trees waiting to fall still.

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

I was just down on the halifax side of the harbour what a mess. 1 ship sunk all you can see is the mast. and the trees, The Canadian Forces Base in Shearwater is missing a lot of thier roofs as well as the Coast Gaurd hgr which had its complete roof blow off with the insulation landing all over one of the taxiways what a mess to clean up. It's safe to say more than a few caches got hit by Juan.

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

Well, of my 4 caches, I think Firefly is destroyed, as it was in the now closed Point Pleasant Park, my multi-cache Balou's Ocean has been changed to a regular cache because the first clues involved walking around the now destroyed boardwalk in Eastern Passage, Animal Planet had to be moved due to all the fallen trees....but SuperCache stood up to it's name and survived!

-Stingray and Butterfly

Oh Man...guess that means i gotta check on my cache "Ghosts of Uniacke"...and it's a 2 hour hike. icon_eek.gif

I don't suppose I can log my own cache as a find, can I ???? LOL...just kidding

Seriously mine should be ok as there was a lot less damage out our way as compared to the City & other areas butI should go take a look.

Paul

N 44 54.474

W 63 46.979

We checked on our cache (Slippery Fox: Cache-Me-If-You-Can) the day after the hurricane. Some of the trees involved were damaged, but the cache survived. We did move the container a short distance, but the co-ordinates will get you very near. We had planned another multi-cache, but the area is totally destroyed! Stay tuned - we'll find another place soon. Happy geocaching! icon_rolleyes.gif

Checked one of our caches in a nearby park. There's been a lot of damage with the trails being blocked by fallen trees. The cache was fine. One other was found shortly after the storm and it is OK as well. We have 2 on the coast and one is probably gone as it was only a couple metres above the high tide mark.

I can vouch for By the Bay, Blomidon, Valleyview and Marble Mountain Treasure, which I all visited after Juan.

By the way, a big thank you to the NS cache setters; we got to see a number of super spots while hunting.

By the way; there is a nice system of hiking trails near Delap's Cove, with not a single cache in evidence ... I didn't want to set one, as I won't be able to maintain it.

Lars