Logs as conversation

Ben Kritch

Over the past while, I have noticed and been bothered by cachers who continue post messages and banter to others within the cache log section (instead of actually reporting a visit). This seems to be a general problem in my area, where users are notified for useless messages that have little actual relevance to the cache itself. Something must be done to reduce the amount of unrelated notes or logs that are appended to a geocache and subsequenly notified to those that "watch" the cache. If a discussion is necessary, it should be directed towards the forums, rather than the main site. From what I gather, geocache logs are supposed to report sucess/failure/comment rather than actual conversation.

How to rectify this problem? All cachers should be notified or reminded when issuing a cache report that 'conversational messages' to other cachers should be left to the forums or email in an attempt to prevent a flood of unrelated material. Comments and solutions to this problem are welcome. icon_mad.gif

[This message was edited by Ben Kritch on May 16, 2002 at 09:05 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kritch:

.....This seems to be a general problem in my area..........

Gee thats something I have not run into and I watch numerous caches. What is your area Ben? You must have forgotten to indicate that when you signed-up.

Olar

wavey.gif

I've been geocaching for the past year and a bit in Nova Scotia primarily, and have also ventured into New Brunswick. As I have noticed from "watching" several caches from both provinces, caches in these areas have become post-it boards for conversation.

However, I have chosen a different login to prevent the backlash to caches I have placed and visited.

Needless posting is a general concern, because it clogs emailboxes with unwanted notifications.

There are 2 possibilities. One is that these people don't know about these forums. The other is a bit out there. Perhaps they are right! Perhaps there should be an additional method of creating a discussion thread linked directly to the cache itself.

I'm envisioning a "create thread" button for the owner that creates a link to a "hidden" forum on this end.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I'm envisioning a "create thread" button for the owner that creates a link to a "hidden" forum on this end.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Rob I could be wrong but I think that might be accomplished with the new(?) feature called "private topic" which can be seen at the bottom of this page.

Olar

wavey.gif

Rob I just gave it a try. See if it works.

Click Here to go to Private Topic Forum

OK what I've done, and it seems to work good, is create a private topic for the finders only of my

Lucky Cacher Cash Cache. I put a link to it in the cache page which is the same as the link above. I had to add their user names to my contact list and then specify from there which contacts could participate in that topic. Any others get a message that they cannot join.

I'm not sure why a feature like this is really necessary but if the occasion arises then its available.

[This message was edited by Olar on May 18, 2002 at 02:42 PM.]

Another way to cut down on the number of irrelevant(?) emails could be a digest mode.

All logs could be sent out once a day, with all the logs in one single email message.

This would require an enhancement to the website, but I know I'd appreciate the cool enhancement.