Geocache roundup

Guest 300mag

Guest 300mag

After talking to "Malak" and "Cliffy" we thought about having a cache hunt somewhere between Ottawa and Montreal .Probably Hawkesbury. Would you be interested in participating? If there is enough interest a date will be confirmed. icon_smile.gif 300mag

Guest cliffy

Welcome to Geocaching Jerry icon_smile.gif Yup, this stuff is certainly addictive.

So.......? Should we set up a few individual caches to find? And perhaps plant one as a group?

This is starting to sound like a "whole lotta fun" icon_smile.gif))))))

r would be hard for some people), at a place where we can eat and sit down to make some geocaching war plans;

D) Make said geocaching war plans, trade tips, views, provide gps and cache hiding training to those who want it, and maybe tell a few long tales in the process;

E) Learn about how Cliffy and Don are so obsessed with the sport and the defacto competetion we appear to be having; icon_smile.gif (and me remind Cliffy for the umpteenth time that I've found *all* four of his caches, but he's only found *one* of mine -- I'm up to Iced Tea 12. icon_biggrin.gif

F) Go our seperate ways to set individual caches;

G) Meet again mid-afternoon;

H) Trade cache coordinates with someone who can promptly field test the cache;

I) Perhaps in the process somewhere we can set a group cache or two;

J) Go home;

K) Madly get online to register our new caches, and, if we field tested any, log them before they are even approved. eek.gif

Ok, Here are some dates good for me, all Saturdays:

January 19, 26

February 2

I'd mention next Saturday (January 12) but I think that it would bee too soon. Sundays may or may not be good for me depending on the demand.

Everyone please chime in.

Don told me of this excellent idea. Count us in! In fact, we already have a place in mind along this route, and a stash more or less prepared. Dates *not* good for us include Jan. 13 and the weekends of Feb 2-3 and 9-10.

Lars

[This message has been edited by lerup (edited 05 January 2002).]

Guest jcarell

I'm in for the 26th; however, I may only be able to join in for the afternoon session. The boys have soccer and basketball games in the am.

Keep me posted on where you'll be meeting.

Cheers, Jerry

Ok, I've set up the event cache page -- it should show up very soon.

Date set is January 26, 2002. Meeting place will be Hawkesbury unless someone suggests somewhere else... I chose Hawkesbury so as to allow for some Caching on the Quebec side of the corridor.

Would someone suggest a meeting place besides the Town Hall? Perhaps a place to eat would be good.

Don

lerup has suggested that we set two caches that we set as end points and then make it a multicache circle.

I thought about it and figured that the way we could do it is set the caches, get together later as planned, figure out how the caches work out, set them as a circle and send people out again to put the coordinates to the cache before and after or, to the "left" and the "right" of the cache.

Don

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by malak:

figure out how the caches work out, set them as a circle and send people out again to put the coordinates to the cache before and after or, to the "left" and the "right" of the cache.

Don

Hi Don...... I'm not quite sure I'm totally catching your drift. (strange as I've only had two homebrews...lol) But at any rate I'm sure us West-enders could set up a cache before the meet West of Hawkesbury.....Just how far west did you have in mind?

cliffy icon_smile.gif

13 Juillet 1947" and "Electra Solve".

The eastern line would be about where the rough north/south line created by "Lucky's Stash" and "Better Late than Sorry" is.

Southern border starts where the constitution allows gun totin'. Northern norder is when you start drinking salt water. icon_smile.gif Unless you want to do a 5/5 underwater cache. icon_wink.gif

Minimum cache difficulty: 1/1 -- please keep cache security in mind! (ie. don't place an easy one that someone can traipse away with the next day because they went out on a family picnic and tripped all over it.)

Max: 5/5 -- although I would wonder if one could be accomplished on that day given the scope of the event. Challenge hereby issued to set the hardest possible cache within the scope of ... let's say 4 to 5 hours?

I don't like virtual caches unless they're clues and hints to multicaches. 'Nuff said, I don't want to discourage people.

Microcaches, small caches, regular caches, large caches are all welcome. Unusual caches especially welcome (please keep within usual geocaching "norms". icon_smile.gif ) Unusual and novel hiding places, tricks, devices, etc. welcome. Multicaches and offsets welcome. Letterbox hybrids welcome. Cache hitchhikers welcome. Themed caches welcome.

Plan your cache in advance so that we can actually have a variety of caches both in location and style -- plan a story around your cache. I thought up the story behind "IT 12's Excellent Adventure" in half an hour -- imagine if I'd thought it up *before* setting the cache!

Plan also about location ... if you know a good spot, claim it in advance!

Oh, I forgot to actually answer Cliffy's question.

Let's say we sit down afterwards and give the caches numbers from 1 to whatever, according to a rough loop were you to sequentially do the caches from one end to another, forming a rough circle -- or, a line from east to west (or west to east depending on your start point.) Instead of announcing them all at the geocaching site, we could announce one or two as starting points, and at each cache provide the coordinates to the caches with the sequence numbers that before and after (allowing for people to find the cache in "forward" or "reverse" order.)

The only problem is that if we have a lot of caches, this would reduce the number of distinct caches on the website and reduce the count number, arguably unfairly.

An idea to consider beforehand and once we're face to face and can decide on what we want to do given the number of participants.

Lars, do you have any ideas on how to make it a true multicache without removing distinct cache status from each cache?

Guest 300mag

For the meeting a restaurant would be great or donut shop.I know at the bridge in Grenville there are a few restaurants.This would be another good location since it is very close to Ontario/Quebec border (just cross the bridge).I will bring a road map from there we could send teams in different area's where they could stash there cache.Instead of running everywhere and maybe having most caches at the same place.(plus this would give us a rough idea of where to look for since we wont have any pc with us.)At a certain designated time everyone meets and exchanges their cache info (so bring a pencil and pad) and out we go for the hunt.I think this would be an easy way . Sweet and short icon_wink.gif300mag

I don't have a problem with that in principle -- in fact, I was thinking of planting a cache in the very general area of Grenville. I can check on the cache on the way up to or from the cottage, y'see; I can just take the Kilmar road up to the cottage instead of the 327 out of Lachute.

Which illustrates where I *do* have a reservation, a doubt, whatever.

Understand that, along with the suggestions of others when Danny (300mag), Andy (Cliffy) and I (Don) when we first discussed the idea and ideas that led to Hawkesbury being a natural meeting place, I chose Hawkesbury for the simple reason that it provides access to both Ontario and Quebec, and as a side note you would presumably be able to set a cache that day on the Quebec side that would easily be accessed from Ottawa. That it was convenient for me was a part of it. In fact said personal convenience is fundamental to the choice beyond the obvious part: I want to choose a place where I know I'm willing to go to maintain the cache.

I'm a big proponent of cache maintenance. Hence the conundrum; one of the things I would like people to consider when choosing cache locations on that day is to choose a place where they're willing to maintain the cache. That of course there will be other caches within a short gps distance would be gravy.

Am I against the idea? No. Actually, the more I think about it -- I started writing this half an hour ago -- the more I *like* it. I guess the implication of the suggestion is perhaps that we should hold several such events in *different* cities and towns in the corridor.

By jove, I think he's got it! Who'll organize the next one? icon_smile.gif

BTW, I forgot to mention: Danny's idea to somewhat concentrate caches around Hawkesbury and area fits in nicely with the original idea I had in mind, which was that after setting our individual cache, we'd meet up again and trade coordinates to have the honour and fun of being the first to scoop up a cache, and before it's even approved!

Guest 300mag

I also like to stash a cache where i can keep an eye on it.Like Don say's this will also be gravy having other caches in the area. It won't make much difference from which province you come from. I already have selected a few area's to possibly stash a cache. I can't wait to go out there and check these out. 300mag icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest jcarell

icon_frown.gif Guys:

You've got me drooling! This sounds like it will be a blast.

I'd like to be able to come up in the afternoon with my boys and hit a cache or two.

If possible, please post details on when & where the post-caching meeting will take place. I'll try and set one up on my way in from Cornhole, um, Cornwall.

Jerry

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by jcarell:

icon_frown.gif Guys:

I'd like to be able to come up in the afternoon with my boys and hit a cache or two.

If possible, please post details on when & where the post-caching meeting will take place. I'll try and set one up on my way in from Cornhole, um, Cornwall.

Jerry

Hi Again Jerry, I'm sure that before the meet we will have established the meeting point/time after the caches have been hidden earlier on. Hopefully you can join us then. Given the travel time from Cornhole (lol) up to Hawkesbury (or thereabouts) what time do you think you'd be able to join us?

BTW, I've been frothing at the mouth looking at your Cornwall cache......Was thinking about flying off after work and logging it but fear of a slap upside the head from my girlfriend changed my mind. Used to go to Cornwall.....What was the name of that bar...... The Northwood?......hmmmmm

cliffy icon_smile.gif

quote:

icon_frown.gif Guys:

You've got me drooling! This sounds like it will be a blast.

Jerry

Cornholio? the rubber bung I use in winemaking going into the hole in my carboy? icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

quote:

Guys:

The Northwoods? Never heard of it! Honest! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure that was it's name.......A veritable cesspool, Rockbar downstairs, strip-club groundfloor and strippers quarters upstairs......... Honest, I never wanted to venture into it's sordid 4 walls but bad company always seemed to force me in there..... It was awful......... icon_wink.gif

1 o'clock might still be ok.........Who knows how long it'll take to actually stash all these caches

1pm to 2pm is about right. We can set it as optional for those who need the extra time to set their caches and want to hit the road back to Ottawa and Montral before sundown.

My last cache "The creature from the greenbelt" took me about 6 or 7 hours to find a adequate spot. So i figure at least 4 for this one. This is why i started looking at the area a bit on mapblast. It is true i wanted a special setting for the creature so it made it a bit more difficult eek.gif

Today i have just received a little booklet

from MNR called on the trail of mother nature. It's a nice little map of the surrounding parks /trails.

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 10 January 2002).]

I will be bringing a few empty and CLEAN 2kg peanut butter jars for people to use should they want a cache container. Their dimensions are:

6 3/4" deep by 4 1/2" wide

I will also bring a few plasticised cache sheets, including enough of the right size to fit in the containers I bring. icon_smile.gif

Anyone using such a container can use the name "Krafty Kache" icon_wink.gif

New coordinates listed for the meeting place. It's at the corner of the 17 and Tupper in Hawkebury, the Best Western Motel L'Héritage on the corner of HWY 17 and Tupper. It has a large parking lot and there is a dining room.

Any carnivores can override the rest of us and go to McDuffy'$ across the street, while the Homer Simpsons can go to the Timmy's. icon_wink.gif

dining room ... unless you prefer McDuffy's or Timmy's. icon_smile.gif

As for the caches, boys and girls, that's for us to set and you all to go out and find. So bring yer own. tongue.gifcool.gif

And peanut butter ... hope nobody's deathly allergic. eek.gif

Guest soclarke

Hey Guys and Gals,

Nancy and I are looking forward to this weekend's adventure it sounds like alot of fun. For any of you heading out from Ottawa we'll be leaving Orleans between 7:30 and 8. If you've got an FRS radio I'll have mine turned on and set to channel 5 code 5, so try and give us a dingle.

See you Saturday

Scott

Hi everyone!

Everyone got their caches ready? I'm feverishly working on a new paint scheme for this one. Dan, I'll call you in the next couple of days to finalize details. I guess this means I'll have to behave this Friday and go to bed early......Draughts! I mean drats!!!!!!!

I see Don beat me to another one too.......LOL

Anyone who wants to set up last minute details can call me at (613) 834-0693

Cheers folks icon_smile.gif

Yup Cliffy, I beat you to Bazooka 2. icon_smile.gif

I am getting together my cache, which basically means bringing back up to speed the cache I've been carrying around for a couple of months, and preparing a couple more of different sizes so that I'll have a cache that fits the place.

Also preparing some of the basics I've promised such as the pb jars, extra plasticized cache letters, a few cache placement worksheets, and I'm printing out all the posts and private emails regarding the "vision" I've -- and others have -- got about how I see the day proceeding.

Just lost a post I spent half an hour on. mad.gif

the essence is:

I reserved 12 places at the restaurant.

Don

Cliffy

300 mag

lerup & maybe his wife

Jerry Carell (pm only)

Nancy & Scott

Istvan

Tick & Nammie

Menion my name if you're there before me. Donald BUCHAN. Also mention geocaching.

I will be bringing cache set sheets to help people set the caches and average out the coordinates.

It is the restaurant in the Hotel. I chose there for several reasons:

A) I wanted a place that would have several tables we could put together

:) Tim Horton's in Hawkesbury is reportedly crowded on Saturday mornings & full of smoke, although the non-smoking cube apparently exits and is properly used. icon_smile.gif

D) I wanted a place where breakfast would be served with a (hopefully) large and varied menu.

TKS Don for the clarification just making sure everyone goes at the same place.....did I mention I was getting hungry icon_redface.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 22 January 2002).]

Well, this round-Up sounds like it is going to be a blast! Unforunatly for me, I am unable to attend( this time ) icon_frown.gif But I will be keeping my eyes open for future events.

Safe & Happy Caching to you all ! icon_wink.gif

Harry ( Sliver )

Everything is ready to go for tommorow.

I have printed maps for everyone.This will be helpfull in telling us in what general area to look for.I will also bring more maps with the regional nature trails and also some writing paper. See you there tommorow @ 09:00hrs + - icon_smile.gif

e, cache setting sheets, a couple of area maps, and so on.

My cell phone number for emergencies:

(514) 668 1517

My pager (which I *know* works in the area):

(514) 480 4844

Please don't hesitate to use one or the other if you need help or will be late or whatever. I will also serve as a contact person throughout the day if you need help, break a leg, get lost, need help determining something while you're actually out there about to place your cache, etc, just call one of the above numbers.

Ok.......let's see,

So far so good, I've finished my container(phew), bought and loaded the goodies, charged the batteries for the camera, checked the weather and set out appropriate clothes, been to the bank for mooola (food, gas and maybe a draft after..seeing as I sacrificed them tonight..lol) bought batteries for the FRS radios, downloaded and loaded a couple of waypoints in the GPS.........ok.....I have this nagging feeling I'm still forgetting 10 things........ hmmmmmm

Ok Cliffy i am finaly back from my jui-jitsu.I also feel like i'm missing something......Everything seems all right icon_smile.gif

We are leaving from Orleans at 08:00.We should be there at around 9:15 or so. Good luck everyone icon_biggrin.gif

hey danny, I used to live in Ottawa, and know for a fact that you guys have decent grocery stores there ... until Blobeys came to town, you guys had better goceries than we did. mad.gif

On the bright side, I live in a controlled milk market -- no paying $2.50 for a litre of milk when the 4L bag beside it cost $4.55. eek.gif Or pay $1.75 for the same carton next door. eek.gif