Victoria Cache Machine

travisl

(Crossposted to the Northwest forum and GeocachingWa mailing list).

It's a ways off, and I'm not gonna even seriously think about a route until mid-June, but add yourself to the watch list if you're interested. July 12, 4:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

I'm thinking 100 in a day is possible. Lots of virts in the downtown area.

Victoria Cache Machine

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

100 in a day? My goodness that's a tall order. Sounds like you may feel all our caches are either really easy, or sitting in a big line along the highway. icon_wink.gif Let's put it another way..I and a very experienced cacher went out and got 12 pretty easy ones, all within a few km's of eachother, and it took 5 hours. We have some pretty good cachers here, who like to make you work hard for the find. Tops of mountains, 5 km treks through some serious woods,etc... So, make sure you do your homework first, and plan out a really good route. You'll have your work cut out for you! We should plan a meet and greet while y'all are over here.

Step away from the tupperware!

Camping at Goldstream or another group spot would really help expense wise. That might be the preferred way to go. It's close to town (10 miles) and has 2 caches within spitting distance.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

[This message was edited by marinerBC on April 07, 2003 at 08:57 PM.]

Wow -- so many things to respond to...

quote:
100 in a day? My goodness that's a tall order. Sounds like you may feel all our caches are either really easy, or sitting in a big line along the highway

Well, I see seven caches in a 1.1 km radius in downtown Victoria, and if we head out on Beach Drive along the eastern shore, then cut in to UVic, that's another 27 caches. Continuing up Highway 17 through Sydney to the northern tip of the Saanich peninsula, we hit 16 more. Then we come back down 17A... but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

quote:
If there's enough of them comming up, perhaps we locals could host the event, set up a group camp at Goldstream, figure out some optimized routes. etc. A cache marathon sort a speak

Other local cachers did the same thing for us in Bremerton (coffee and donuts) and Yakima (truly a feast), but by no means would I expect you to do anything.

The best help you could give is when I post my route idea in mid-June, if you could look at it cache by cache, turn by turn, and give helpful suggestions, such as ''You fool, you're supposed to park three blocks earlier,'' or ''You ninny, that's the wrong way down a one way street.''

quote:
Camping at Goldstream or another group spot would really help expense wise.

Good suggestion. Goldstream is actually on the far western edge of my planned caching area. What information could I put on the cache page about it?

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

Goldstream is about the nearest camping spot to Victoria. It has two huge open group areas plus a very nicely laid out typical type with single sights and smaller group sights. It is very popular but reservations can be made. It's not free.

Don't know how to do that webby link thing but I did a quick search using BC Parks Goldstream and made a direct hit.

As for our multitude of caches. After doing an initial easy counter clockwise sweep of the Victoria area shore and then cleaning up on that BIG BLOTCH in the Gordon Head area you may start to find yourself getting bogged down by forests and hills. It would be an interesting wager to see how many could be gotten.

I think that the local community can be counted on to provide a rousing start, and a repast of some sort. Tim Horton's coffee would be a no brainer. We will get going on this as soon as possible.

I am curious; would a shotgun start work? Example, plan a route, then have teams of 3,4, or 5 each start at a different cache all around town. FRS radios could easily reach between sites using a chain method, and cachers could all begin at the specified time, using the honour system. That way, we don't get 30 cachers descending on a piece of defenceless tupperware.

I will make my multi-caches one stage caches for this event only. Final stage coords will be emailed to travisl as he asks for them.

This will be great. If any of you decide to camp at Goldstream Group Sites, we will too.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

That webby link thing:

Here is the Goldstream Park web page. It has a link to the group campsite reservation information.

There are of course plenty of caches in the vicinity, but the one right in the group campsite is scheduled to be archived before the busy camping season starts because it'll be too exposed to traffic at that time of year. Here it is, though: Monkeys, just so you can click nearby caches to see what's close by! (shameless plug) The nearest one, Prospector's, is quite environmentally sensitive, and depending on how many people there are, may not be suitable for a mass assault. But maybe I can find a less sensitive spot for it for the occasion as it is only a short hike away from the group campground on a lovely forest trail.

Just had another thought - instead of archiving Monkeys I can temporarily disable it, then reactivate it just for the weekend with nothing but a logbook in it.

Maybe Team Phoenix can un-multi theirs for the occasion, too.icon_smile.gif

(Eroyd, if interested, next time you're in "post reply" just click on What is UBBCode for superquick easy instructions. The beauty of being able to insert a link is that it opens a new window so people with slow computers can quickly get back from it to the forum.)

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on April 08, 2003 at 12:20 AM.]

After taking a look at the Goldstream site, I think it would be prudent to start planning this event very soon. There are only 2 group campsites. I would imagine they will be booked quickly as reservations were accepted starting March 1st. I'm really looking forward to this event! Will have to make sure I book some vacation time! How many people are planning to visit? Might be a reason to have some shirts made up. icon_biggrin.gif

Step away from the tupperware!

Hi All,

We made reservations at Pauls Motor Inn. We have meeting room 147 from 5-8 p.m. July 11 (Friday)

Thought it would give us a chance to meet and mingle with some of the local cachers! Capacity is for 50 people. We figure people will be coming in and out before heading off to dinner.

We were told no alcohol service would be available but we could bring in our own.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Guess I should clarify that we have reserved a meeting room at Paul's as a get together spot before the big day. We will try to make it an event cache.

I have just talked to another cacher who was under the impression we were saying "Party in our room!!!" Nah. We have to sleep sometime.

We just thought it would be great to meet everyone before the big day.

At Yakima, it was hard to all get together afterwards. Eveyone was bone tired, noisy restaurant, not enough room to mingle and talk to the locals.