PayPal and Canada

MeeCachers

I noticed some discussion on another thread (now locked) regarding the use of PayPal from Canada.

I just set up an account at the beginning of this week and had no trouble at all making the payment for my membership to Groundspeak.

You also don't need to wait for your first credit card statement to activate your account - PayPal allows you to spend up to $250 before your account is fully activated by this method. It worked just fine for me!! There is an additional charge for an international order of 2.6% plus $0.30 for a grand total of $1.14 premium on the $30 price.

Oh - and the most useful feature of membership so far is the ability to customize the tag line under your name on the forums icon_wink.gif

Another option for PayPal is a US Chequing Account but here is the trick; A Canadian USD account won't work.

Royal Bank and some other banks offer a TRUE US account by proxying the account for an American branch with an American address.

While I haven't tried it myself, a friend did and he told me that paypal accepted his true US account.

Rob

Some snippits from a PayPal letter dated Apr 4, '02:

------------

International buyers, say goodbye to Send Money fees! PayPal members around the world can now send payments to any of PayPal's 39 countries for FREE. No sending fees means you have more money to spend, so keep bidding and buying!

------------

Send up to $1000 with your PayPal account -- even before you become International-Verified!

It seems like they've relaxed some of their policies...

Gilles

quote:
Originally posted by capjap:

I thought the membership was $30 US, so with paypal and its premium, isn't the total closer to $60?

Mine ended up at Cdn$ 45.29 back in March. I think there was a US$ 1.95 discount from PayPal since it was my first transaction.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif