GPS Road Rally

Guest P38manCdn

I would enjoy something like that. Count me in. I would think late March or early April may be best from a weather stand-point and also to avoid conflicting dates with The Milton Cache Meet and the Southern Ontario Cachers meet.

Looking forward to it, Olar

Being a rallyist in years gone by, I've thought of sometime doing a road-rally type geocache. I was thinking of tacking single-letter (felt) signs 10-feet up on telephone poles etc. along the way. Each (random)letter indicates which one, out of a given list, of coordinates, you must head for next--and finally on to the location of the cache. My intent was to guide people over some very scenic country roads they may have never been to.

The coordinates on the list might also include such information (abbreviated by letters etc.) as that you must (for instance) "turn north at the nearest intersection east of where you found that next coordinate's sign". This would be worded this way so a person wouldn't get lost if for some reason he approached that coordinates's sign from some unintended direction. The signs would be permenant, about 3-4 inches square, bright yellow felt with black felt letters, tacked (or glued) high enough up on trees or poles that vandals would have trouble removing them.

There ought to be an encrypted "hint" table too, to give a person the next coordinates in case a sign had been removed and couldn't be found. You wouldn't want to break the entire chain because one sign had been removed or was otherwise not findable.

Perhaps part of the abbreviated instruction to find the next sign would also indicate how to unscramble, or decrypt, its instructions. Unscrambling would involve reading every n'th digit of the scrambled line of data. The proper "n" to use for this instruction would be given in the last instruction. Or, there may be 10 different cyphers given--and the "n" given would refer to the number of the cypher to use next. This way, everybody would absolutely have to follow the course in the correct order to be able to decrypt/unscramble the instructions.

Coordinates would probably have to be only the last 3 or 4 digits of the minutes; the degrees would never change throughout the course (this to minimise the number of characters that had to be unscrambled/decyphered).

Perhaps one character of each instruction could be used to generate the final location of the cache. So, to get it right, a "rallyist" would have to follow the entire course, to get all the characters making up the cache's coords etc., and he'ld have to have done it in the right order, to get those characters placed in the right order.

My intention was that the signs may not be right at the target coords each time, but that you would have to keep your eyes peeled to spot them on your way to those coords.

[This message has been edited by Don&Betty (edited 06 February 2002).]

Guest Digiital

Where can I find out more about the upcoming meets?

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

I would enjoy something like that. Count me in. I would think late March or early April may be best from a weather stand-point and also to avoid conflicting dates with The Milton Cache Meet and the Southern Ontario Cachers meet.

Looking forward to it, Olar