Geocaching in Ontario Provincial Parks

jmp

We have recently become aware that provincial parks in Ontario are popular locations for geocaches. This is likely because many parks have scenic and rugged natural environments, excellent trail systems, and beautiful locations. We recognize that searching for geocaches is one of many ways in which park visitors can enjoy parks, and that most geocaches are likely harmless to the park environment.

However, we request that participants keep in mind that parks are areas set aside to protect natural features, and we do not permit activities that may have harmful impacts on the park environment. So, we’d ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:

? Do not place geocaches in provincial nature reserves. Nature reserves are the most sensitive of natural areas, and we generally discourage use of these areas other than for low impact research and nature appreciation.

? In other classes of parks, please be sure to contact park staff before establishing a geocache in a provincial park. Contact information is available on the Ontario Parks website at www.OntarioParks.com

? Please observe park regulations while visiting the park.

Thank you for your interest in Ontario Parks. If you have any further questions, please contact us at Comments@OntarioParks.com

Thank you jmp for your posting. We geocachers in Ontario have not really had any firm guidelines from park systems such as yours to go by but we are certainly aware of the issues. Thus your advice and guidance is certainly appreciated. You obviously have made the decision to keep the lines of communication open so that we can work with the various park managers and staff. I think you'll find that we are equally concerned about the environmental impact that geocaching can have and that most, if not all, cachers will be more than willing to cooperate.

Cheers, Olar from Brampton, Ont.

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gm100guy:

I see you found the right spot for your post.

I was wonder what position you hold and why you have placed this message.

Is there a problem all of a sudden with caches?

This activity has been around for a few years now and this is first post I have seen from a person who is speaking for the Government.

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Yeah, is this for real?

Here's a quote from a forum discussion "Permission From Conservation Authorities" by DonnaG:

" Even if you contact an agency they may not tell you why an area is designated because the information is classified as "sensitive". I work for the Ministry of Natural Resources, and spend my days looking at mapping data, but there is some information I do not have access to because of its sensitive nature, such as threatened plant and animal habitats, archaeological sites... "

AMAZING

I have a reply there too.

Again we see the "demi-god wisdom" of authorities withholding information from the public. Just what kind of "sensitive national security secrects" are there in provincial parks, nature reserves, and conservation areas? ..... Toxic waste dumps? Hastely discarded nuclear materials? Damning files and other assorted evidence of political scandle? What is sooooo dadgum "sensitive" in our parks and other nature areas that it can't be revealed to the public? Does anyone see "Big Brother" here? Authority for the sake of authority?

Clearly Geocachers need to get organized, just like the snowmobilers. Associations and memberships speak volumes in terms politicians and authories recognize -- voters and taxpayers. Individual geocachers mean nothing to these people, agencies/authorities, and governments.

Geocachers being organized and presenting a postive image as caring people who enjoy nature and want to see it cared for is what we should be projecting -- "officially".

Unfortunately, sooner or later, Geocaching is going to get a bloody nose due to a "knee-jerk reaction" from some agency/authority.

The slow pace of our searches in the woods has clearly made us far more aware of nature than snowmobilers, mountain bikers, and other forms of high speed transit through our parks and nature areas. The destruction wrought by these mechanical forms of transportation far exceed that of geocachers on foot -- by 10 fold. Their shear speed... 30-40-50-60 klm/h ...translates into more destruction than geocachers on foot.

As the "new kids on the block" we have some "catching up to do" to be recognised as a group of people who care for nature and our unique topography here in Ontario.

Agencies and authorities are just now becoming aware of our activities. They may well be planning legislation and regulations preventing geocaching in many areas of Ontario and other provinces across Canada.

Geocaching is far less destructive than many other forms of outdoor recreation. Unfortunately, we don't have an "official voice" to say it.

[This message was edited by P38manCdn on October 06, 2002 at 10:24 PM.]

[This message was edited by P38manCdn on October 06, 2002 at 10:28 PM.]