Scout Cache

Guest bradrobb

Guest bradrobb

I removed my Scout Cache today as I will be starting Scouting this week. I will be showung the youth what has happened over the summer.

I will let you know what the youth think after we read all the logs and look at what have been traded over the summer.

I will hide another Scout cache soon.

PS My wife wants to had a Gilr Guide one also.

Brad

Guest mrgigabyte

I have no idea where your cache was. But for the sake of those cachers in your area, make sure you Archive the cache on your cache page. This will remove it from the database of searchable, active caches.

My senior patrol and I are going out on Thursday to do some cache hunting.

We have discussed planting caches at all the scout camps that we visit including HSR.

YIS

Baston aka Scouter John

I think that if we listed the cache as a scouting only access most other geocachers would respect that. Or we could list the caches on a different site.

Baston aka Scouter John - SC Slow children Playing

I wonder if we can get some of our US scouters involved. Our troop tries to go to a least one international camp each year. It would be cool to scoutcache at different camps worldwide.

Baston / Slow children playing - John Rothwell

[This message has been edited by Baston (edited 28 September 2001).]

I have thought of putting caches at Woodlands and Oba but the camps are not for public use and I think you would get in trouble.

But I made a cache where I gave a card out and have had groups send me back what they find at a location at Woodlands. They can use a map and compass or a GPS.

44 00 930 79 20 296

Send the youth there and then let me know what you find.

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

GM1002.jpg

If you get to the Cincinnati area there are at several caches placed by Boy Scouts troops (On the Way to Eagle comes to mind), and my Girl Scout troop placed on last summer called "East of the Fork and West of the Spoon" at Eastfork Lake. We've had a great time reading the posts. It was done as a part of earning our Orienteering badge.

This weekend myself (Baston) and another leader (Flying Quacker) took two patrols out cache hunting. We found a total of 13 out of 14 caches. 5 out of 6 on Sat. and 8 out of 8 on Sunday.

Killed two birds with one stone. Got the kids out and go some geocaching in. The best of both worlds.

Baston

I talked to my troop last night about geocaching. It looks like we might make it a troop speciality badge for this year.<BR><BR>Baston

There will be a geo caching blanket badge coming out of Northern Lights Council,Alberta in the next 5 weeks or so. It will be available to those who want it across Canada.

I talked to my troop last night about geocaching. It looks like we might make it a troop speciality badge for this year.<BR><BR>Baston

There will be a geo caching blanket badge coming out of Northern Lights Council,Alberta in the next 5 weeks or so. It will be available to those who want it across Canada.

How can we find this blanket badge in Ontario

Brampton Ontario

I was thinking of doing a Wherigo hike with the Troop.

I think that 20 of us tramping through the woods looking for caches might be a bit much.

If I can nab two more GPS's we could do it as a patrol challange inside a defined area but so far I've only got mine.

Scouter Rich

I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties. However, with that said there is a cache next to the Brampton Scout House. GCK9H9 It's had badges in the past. My son is doing geocaching as his specialty so a scout themed geocaching one might just show up in Brampton...You never know :)After all in my wickedness of developing his individual specialty he has to plant two caches. :) Also our Cub Pack is doing a geocaching specialty this year as a theme as well.

ScouterJenn

I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties. .

There is one in our local Scout camp. It is the end of a puzzle. It is on the outside of the parking area, so not near the campers. I hope it stays, it is very Scout swag oriented.

I thought of the same thing. But I was concerned about strangers going in to the camp to find it. How would you get around this problem as the camps are private property.

Scout owned land is not only private property, but geocaches are not allowed as a matter of policy in Canada, and the US. Well, let me clarify, geocaches that are published on GC.Com aren't allowed, nor are non Scouts. I find it laughable that Scouts are now promoting "geoscouting", partnered with Groundspeak, yet geocaches, and cachers are not welcome on their land. Perhaps maybe all Scout related caches, or caches placed by a Scout should only be allowed on Scout property.

Edited by Sportsman01

I thought of the same thing. But I was concerned about strangers going in to the camp to find it. How would you get around this problem as the camps are private property.

Scout owned land is not only private property, but geocaches are not allowed as a matter of policy in Canada, and the US. Well, let me clarify, geocaches that are published on GC.Com aren't allowed, nor are non Scouts. I find it laughable that Scouts are now promoting "geoscouting", partnered with Groundspeak, yet geocaches, and cachers are not welcome on their land. Perhaps maybe all Scout related caches, or caches placed by a Scout should only be allowed on Scout property.

There are caches on Scout property in Ontario. I can think of two I have done that were placed by scouters on scout property and published on gc.com.

I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties. However, with that said there is a cache next to the Brampton Scout House. GCK9H9 It's had badges in the past. My son is doing geocaching as his specialty so a scout themed geocaching one might just show up in Brampton...You never know :)After all in my wickedness of developing his individual specialty he has to plant two caches. :laughing: Also our Cub Pack is doing a geocaching specialty this year as a theme as well.

ScouterJenn

I have found the Brampton Scout house cache. It's quite old, placed in 2004. The cache page actually doesn't mention permission!! I certainly assumed they had it when I was there. So there is a change in policy? It would be nice if one of the Canadian reviewers would chime in on this.

Funny I should come across this topic. Our family discovered Geocaching literally a week ago. My daughter is a brownie and right away jumped into it with both feet. This week we hunted down 6 caches, planted one of our own and she has a perfect spot by her grandmothers to place a themed cache. She is playing with the idea of kids meals toys but a recent stop by the guiding store in Mississauga got me thinking she might enjoy a guiding themed cache. We did pick up a bunch of pins and keychains etc to use as tradables in caches we find. She also wants to discuss with her *brown owl* the possibility of using the hobby as a special themed badge in the Active Lifestyle key.

We came up with her keeping a diary of caches she finds with the family, a log regarding her own caches perhaps a photographic diary as well and maybe a log of how many miles she walks while caching.

Any other ideas regarding this topic would be most welcome

I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties. However, with that said there is a cache next to the Brampton Scout House. GCK9H9 It's had badges in the past. My son is doing geocaching as his specialty so a scout themed geocaching one might just show up in Brampton...You never know :)After all in my wickedness of developing his individual specialty he has to plant two caches. :D Also our Cub Pack is doing a geocaching specialty this year as a theme as well.

ScouterJenn

I have found the Brampton Scout house cache. It's quite old, placed in 2004. The cache page actually doesn't mention permission!! I certainly assumed they had it when I was there. So there is a change in policy? It would be nice if one of the Canadian reviewers would chime in on this.

Since you asked me to comment on this thread in another thread, I will.

What policy?

I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties. However, with that said there is a cache next to the Brampton Scout House. GCK9H9 It's had badges in the past. My son is doing geocaching as his specialty so a scout themed geocaching one might just show up in Brampton...You never know :)After all in my wickedness of developing his individual specialty he has to plant two caches. :) Also our Cub Pack is doing a geocaching specialty this year as a theme as well.

ScouterJenn

Since you asked me to comment on this thread in another thread, I will.

What policy?

:) I suppose I meant the post by ScouterJenn that both you and I quoted. More specifically the sentence:

"I've been told point blank no geocaches on Scout Camp properties as they are private properties."

Also I'm assuming she was told that by one of the Canadian reveiwers.

To clarify on the Scout Property issue -

Brampton Scout House. The cache is actually located off the official property hence is allowable.

Re planting caches on Scouting property. Scouts Canada camp grounds are private property. As such without the permission of the land owner (Scouts Canada National) we cannot plant caches on their property. For those of you who wonder why Scouts Canada might deny permission..... Scouts Canada property is used by youth between the ages of 5-26 on a regular basis. In order to become a leader in Scouting you must have a clean Police Record Check (submitted every three years) and go through an interview and reference check. Parents entrust Scouters at camps with their most valuable assets, their offspring and in order to protect them Scouting lands are kept closed to strangers. A non-Scouter can expect that a Scouter might question their presence at a Scout camp as all non-Scout leaders visiting are supposed to be monitored at all times by two Scout leaders. Remember rules are put in place to protect the children not out of malice.

I've been advised of the above by Council employees of Scouts Canada.

However, that doesn't mean Scouters cannot place Scouting themed caches. Actually I placed one recently near our Cub meeting hall GC20Y3P

Also Scouts can create caches on Scouts Canada property but they can only be for internal camp use not listed on an external website (i.e. geocaching.com)

Edited by scouterjenn