Geocaching Canada Site

mrcpu

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Would you like a Canadian Geocaching Site?

I would like a Canadian extension of Geocaching in French, at least one or two pages to explain the game. Ideally, also a nice colourful poster of geocaching (English, French).

quote:
Originally posted by Mario:

quote:

I would like a Canadian extension of Geocaching in French, at least one or two pages to explain the game. Ideally, also a nice colourful poster of geocaching (English, French).

Parle vous Frances? Maybe you could translate and Jeremy would put it up.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mario:

quote:

Parle vous Frances? Maybe you could translate and Jeremy would put it up.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

null

Hello Rob, yes I do speak French. I have started translating the FAQ in French. I will write to Jeremy as soon as I am done.

You have a very colourful logo near your signature. Did you create it yourself?

Mario

Québec, Qc

va2va@videotron.ca

I'd like a site similar to the UK Geocaching Info site at http://www.roblisa.com/geocache/ that has Waypoint files for Canada. Having been able to load directly from mapsource for the UK caches, it gets a bit tedious doing the Canadian caches when we come visiting!

Incidentally the UK files are produced automatically every couple of days, so I will have a chat to Rob, the person who does the UK ones to see how easy a Canadian version would be.

The other information would be a bonus.

Regards,

Richard

Hello, name here is Yves. I discover Geocaching last month but work with gps since many years and also giving gps training for navigation squad.

Geocaching will be explaned to my students because i think it is a good practice to them when they are on ground avaliable full year.

Yes i speak french and a french explantion of the rules will be good. I think geocaching will grow here when french user know well what is it.

Yves ve2ly

What would be different on the Canada site? The people in france seem to not have problems using this geocaching.com site. You want canadian flags all over the site? I don't see any other nations flag here unless the main site colour of green makes you think it is irish.

It would be nice to have forum pages for each province or region so others do not need to hear the cachers on vancouver island complain all the time.

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

quote:
I don't see any other nations flag here unless the main site colour of green makes you think it is irish.

It would be nice to have forum pages for each province or region so others do not need to hear the cachers on vancouver island complain all the time.

Sounds pretty un-Canadian to me, as well, the "F" in France and the first "I" in Irish should be capitalized.

I for one like to hear how other Canadians are doing but I don't think a separate Canadian site is the answer. The folks at Geocaching.com seem to be doing a great job.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

quote:
I for one like to hear how other Canadians are doing but I don't think a separate Canadian site is the answer. The folks at Geocaching.com seem to be doing a great job.

I was thinking something like http://canada.geocaching.com or http://www.geocaching.com/canada/

At the sub-site there could be some unique features such as bi-lingual cache pages and information. I'd also like to see Canadian cachers doing cache approval/archival of Canadian caches, moreso because we would have a better handle on local issues and laws.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

I think the site functions well now without breaking it out into Canada / USA whatever. When I do a serach for local site, US ones come up too which is excellent. I would not want to do a search in a different site... as it is I guess, it promotes cross-border caching. Also you'd have the issue with virtuals and locationless being unavailable to all (I know some of you would welcome that!!! icon_smile.gif)

However, I's like to see the Canada Forum split into smaller regions...

DD

"Either that wallpaper goes or I do!"

We don't need our own site, this site is perfect. Why re-invent the wheel ?

BUT...

I would dig Canada being broken down by province so I could ignore BC....seshhh, that one thread about "good bye for now", it just kept going and going and going...how were we supposed to say good bye when you wouldn't go away?

Anyway, just kidding about the BC cachers.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by DirtRunner:

"...I would dig Canada being broken down by province so I could ignore BC....seshhh, that one thread about "good bye for now", it just kept going and going and going..."

Neither your point nor your humour is lost on me. There's been several 'B.C.' threads which, for those who didn't happen to live west of the Rockies, seemed downright 'clannish'. How dare people who live within a day's drive of each other get along so well! Gathering together for 'parties' and actually getting to know each other...? Just who do they think they are anyway...?!? Then again, we've had our share of 'Ontarians Only' forum discussions and could be accused of much the same thing (although I must admit, as a group, British Columbian geocachers appear to be having a much better time than the rest of us).

I don't subscribe to the notion that we would be better off with a Canada 'Site', but I do think that the idea of sub-dividing the current 'Canada' forum by region has merit (heck, the United States is sub-divided into no less than 7 regions). As tempting as it may be for TPTB to reduce this to a question of numbers (ie: the current total number of posts in the 'Canada' forum [between 3-4000] is roughly equal to the number found in an average U.S. 'region' forum), that logic ignores the reality of Canadian geography; despite our numbers, we are one frickin' huge country with a population as regionally diverse as that of our friends south of the border. If the intent of sub-dividing the U.S. forums by region was to group discussions by geographic commonalities, that same reasoning is just as applicable to Canadian forum discussions (me thinks).

ontario1.gif

I THINK ABBOTSFORD SHOULD HAVE IT'S OWN CACHE SITE SO THAT I CAN COMPLAIN AND CHEER TO MYSELF ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!

Really, yes, some breakdown of region would be warranted ***perhaps***, but other than adding French for Quebec and other isolated pockets, I am not won over to the idea that this will *help*.

And I don't scream in caps lock as a general rule, and since you have ALL read my posts and logs elsewhere, you know that Vancouver Island is not the true home of whining.

Thank you,

canadazuuk

I like the idea of having all world wide Geocaching activities and information in a single spot. If we start breaking up activities, then information wll become disjointed and lost. ie. some people will post on one site but not the other etc...

I'd recommend speaking with the administrators of this site and look to either assign a "Canadian" representitive to the administration group who can create appropriate forums as required, or ask their current administrators to look at the current thread list and look at adding additional forums in order to clarify the discussions etc...

I voted no for these reasons:

1. Geocaching is an international sport by definition, it doesn't make sense to separate sites into every area.

2. One centralized site = only one interface to learn/use.

3. The canadian site would probably get < 50% of the canadian visitors on Geocaching.com, and no international visitors except _maybe_ tourists. Fewer users = fewer caches.

4. Who wants to rebuild such a complex website. Web programming is hard!

I'm certainly not opposed to a "Canada" page on Geocaching.Com - it could talk about caches, events, applicable laws, etc. that relate to canadian geocaching, but use the same website overall. Maybe you should talk to the admin of Geocaching.com?

Janik Zikovsky

Play Dungeons & Dragons? Then try my program, DM Genie, a great gaming aid!

Well looking at the poll more people want a "Canada Oriented" geocaching website, I mean I for one think its about time.

Will someone actually take the initiative and start it ? I would love to but I wouldnt know how to start one.

I love all the ideas put forth, Canadian cache reviewers, searching within Canada by province or whatever, bi-lingual access.

Of course since Alberta will probably be seperating from Canada soon maybe we should just exclude Klein and klan for now icon_rolleyes.gif

Thats it ! Enjoy !!

Sorry for the new post, I neglected to mention that this idea of "if its not broke dont try to fix it", is all wrong, it IS broke *LOL* thats the point, its not geared towards Canadians and though some seem shy to new ideas Canadians (without a doubt) would enjoy the benefits of having a Canadian Oriented geocache site.

As for the "well geocaching website attracts international viewers, how would we get exposure", I just scratch my head to that statement, I thought this site was about being able to log and share caches, period, if there is a system that makes it more intuitive for Canadians and still keeps the spirit of the old site I say go for it.

Why doesnt someone get Jeremy on this ? see what he has to say, perhaps hes working on some of these features we would like.

Thats it ! Enjoy !!