Trans Canada Highway Geocache Project

Fish

Is anyone fealing motivated enough to startup a webpage that has all the geocaches that are within say...20 minutes hike from the TCH? I was just thinking that it might be a cool project (I'm heading to the Arabian Gulf in a couple of months so I don't have the time)... I was thinking that it might help quite a few cachers in the coming summer...

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That sounds like a good idea.

There are just a few problems with it.

1) every one of the caches would need to be found in order to ascertain the fact that they are indeed within a 20 minute hike

2) that would take a VERY long time to do.

I'd be willing to work on the site though, along with others.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Actually it would not be too difficult to come up with a preliminary list utilizing the "all Canada" cache map in Streets & Trips along with EasyGPS. It could start with all caches within say 5 to 10 Km.

From there it would need some fine tuning such as an email to each cache owner to verify accessibility time and distance etc.

Finding a website home is another thing.

Fish I hope the reason for your trip to the Gulf is temporary and it doesn't turn into a nasty of some sort. What some guys won't do to get away from our Canadian Winters. Oh I forgot, you don't get Winter on the island.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Thanks for your concerns bud... The crown says I have to go...so I go... Part of the reasons I was thinking of this project is while I'm away.. the wife is thinking of heading back towards your neck of the woods...and she wants to do some caching on the way across Canada.... by the way guys... I'm going to be taking about 100 small cloth Canadian flags with me and when I return to Canada there will be some Op Apollo Cdn flags being circulated into found cache's. icon_smile.gif

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The only problem is that it is illegal as far as Geocaching.com is concerned to create such a website as this would constitute 're-deistribution of copyrighted material'. I have run into this first hand as I have had my IP blocked and my 'Instant post to message boards' revoked because I created a website that contained a map from Streets and Trips with every cache in North America on it...which would make this project exceptionally easy. If, through some technicality a list is permitted, making such a list would only take a short time to create while sitting in front of the map. I think a better way that saying 20 minutes, would be deciding on a certain number of kilometers off the road.

What I envision is a bunch of caches, placed near the TC highway, that you could easily do while travelling. They could be named for example "TC Sault" or "TC North Bay". So if you were driving from say Sault to North Bay, you could hit several of these without having to wander off the TC highway. You might not even need a website to list them.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

There are a few cases in the States were they have something like this. The best one I know of is the 'I Hate I-5' series of caches that run from California to Washington. They all are near or at rest stops along the Highway. We could start a series like that with a common name and then a number for example. icon_smile.gif

We live on a rock, ergo we rockcrawl.......