Vancouver Island Geocaching

Guest Goat Commander

Guest Goat Commander

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any people here interested in geocaching on vancouver island. I'm near the Victoria area and was thinking of getting into the sport - wondering how many people are around & interested!

Guest Goat Commander

Hey Green,

No I haven't heard of any! That's why I started this thread. I actually live in Sidney, so I'm not that far away from you. I was thinking of putting a couple together and hiding them maybe next weekend. I thought I might put one at the ferry terminal somewhere so bored geocachers waiting in the ferry line for 4 hours could have something to do, and maybe putting one nearer my house. I'll be sure to post here and let you know when I do!

Guest chektv

I just stumbled upon this geocaching thing and I think it would make a great news story (I'm a Cameraman for CHEK-TV). Contact me if you're interested in helping me, especially if you know any geocaches up-island.

bartlett@telus.net

Guest Snaggy

Nitrozac and I will be starting a cross country trip soon, ending up on Vancouver Island.

We're hoping to make it a geo-caching treasure hunt, depositing little caches of goodies along the way as we cross North America. I'll keep the forums posted!

heh, for those of you who don't know us, we run the extremely popular website Geek Culture

Guest Goat Commander

Hey all,

Looks like vancouver island is heating up! Gives me excellent incentive to start placing caches as I promised. I also saw the article in the Times Communist today, neat! Anyway, I'm off on a field school for the next couple of weeks so I won't be able to place my first cache until later... icon_frown.gif

Hopefully I'll be able to do it after the 14th and maybe you cross-country trekkers will be able to visit it if I can do it in time.

Guest Goat Commander

Hey all,

Looks like vancouver island is heating up! Gives me excellent incentive to start placing caches as I promised. I also saw the article in the Times Communist today, neat! Anyway, I'm off on a field school for the next couple of weeks so I won't be able to place my first cache until later... icon_frown.gif

Hopefully I'll be able to do it after the 14th and maybe you cross-country trekkers will be able to visit it if I can do it in time.

Guest gpblair

Hi!!

I hope that throughout the summer many caches open up on Vancouver Island as my family and I will be moving there in the fall. I will definately place a couple caches once I arrive. On a sad note, I guess I will have to take down the two caches I have in Nova Scotia unless I can get someone to take them over once I leave.

Guest MaasNeotek

Hey Goat! I can't tell you how funny it was when my parents (who live in Esquimalt) called me to let me know I was in the communist...

Turns out Southan syndicratered the story from the Edmonton Journal cross country...

There were photographs and video with the story - you can see it at http://www.building42.com/geocaching in the media section.

I will also be meeting with ChekTV hopefully around may long - hopefully we'll see one another. icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Greg Scratchley

aka MaasNeotek

webmaster@building42.com

Guest MaasNeotek

Hey Goat! I can't tell you how funny it was when my parents (who live in Esquimalt) called me to let me know I was in the communist...

Turns out Southan syndicratered the story from the Edmonton Journal cross country...

There were photographs and video with the story - you can see it at http://www.building42.com/geocaching in the media section.

I will also be meeting with ChekTV hopefully around may long - hopefully we'll see one another. icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Greg Scratchley

aka MaasNeotek

webmaster@building42.com

As I near my first full year of caching I thought I'd take a look back. A year ago there was only a hand full of caches. It's amazing how this activity has exploded over the last year. Some of the original names have changed or disappeared. I still haven't gotten to a few.

This time last year:

- White Collection

- Waterfalls of Rain

- Teddy Bears Picnic

- Peaceful Waters

- Lone Tree

- John Dean

- Horth-

- Christmas in July

- Building 42s

and of course Plantmans established run of caches running up the west coast from East Sooke Park to Just South of Port Renfrew.

Hope I haven't missed any.

I can still remember the excitement of finding my first two caches on 'a little side trip' I took last Christmas day while supposedly delivering parcels among family and friends. (Building42 and Lonetree). I still remember the little impatient,"Where the heck have you been", look I received on my arrival home.

And so it began.

Wow - you must have dug deep in the pile to dredge up this thread.

My database tells me that the at the end of December 2001, there were 30 caches on Vancouver Island.

There were 13 caches in the Victoria area:

Building42 - Herbie and Irvings Revenge

Building42 - Portage Zydeco

Christmas in July

Teddy Bears Picnic

Anderson Hill

SLC 2002 Olympic Cache (Archived)

Mt. Doug

Lone Tree Cache

Gowland Ridge

Peaceful Waters Cougar cache

Mackenzie Bight By land or Water

John Dean

Horth

Sooke and west (Juan de Fuca) had 8 plantman caches.

Up Island, there were 6 caches:

Waterfalls of Rain

Great Central Treasure

Little Mountain Cache

Mr. Happy

Cache on the Cape

The White Collection

The adjacent islands had 3 caches:

Baileys

Pender Island Portage

Galiano Island Cache

As of today, there are 244 active caches on Vancouver Island, and 52 archived. Thats about $1000 worth of plastic containers bought in one year.