Trading Fair

SkydiverBC

Why do some people think that it's fair to trade McDonalds happy meal toys for t-shirts, hats, geocoins and other cool stuff. I was just at a multi-cache that had all this really cool stuff in it just 7 visits ago. Now it's an ad for McDonalds. Why can't people just not trade or try to leave the cache better than before? If we all try to make a cache better, think of how great the caches could become! I'm so dissapointed in some people right now... icon_mad.gif

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

All of my easily accessible caches are like that. A couple of my caches that are less accessible seem to get better trades. There's almost a straight line relationship between how hard a cache is to get to and 1. the number of visits it will get and 2. the better the trades will be. This relationship holds true for fishing holes as well, the harder they are to get to, the better the fishing.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

quote:
There's almost a straight line relationship between how hard a cache is to get to and 1. the number of visits it will get and 2. the better the trades will be. This relationship holds true for fishing holes as well, the harder they are to get to, the better the fishing.

Unfortunately it does seem like the more visits a cache gets the worse the trades are. With my own caches I now only put the expensive stuff in the difficult ones. The cachers that are willing to put in the effort to reach them also seem more likely to trade up or at least even

PDOP's GPS Pages

[This message was edited by PDOP's on April 24, 2003 at 10:00 AM.]

I find nothing wrong with McDonalds toys, as long as they are still sealed...same for any items in a cache...I don't go for the used stuff and I discourage my 5 year old son from taking anything that looks used. As for McDonalds Toys, they are worth atleast a $1, which is probably worth a lot more than most of the junk people find in caches.

Based on what people write and what previous and future cachers write in the logs, you can pretty much figure out who left what and who too what. You could always send the offenders a nice letter...but be nice...some people may not realize what they are doing.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada <---NEW!

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

Boreal is right-on about this. I don't hit too many caches filled with useless things probably because I go for the more difficult finds. As far as putting in good stuff, I find trade shows are great sources!! How many pens, fridge magnets, bus card holders, pocket knives and other swag emblazened with company logos does one person need??

'It's not the destination but the journey'

Personally, I don't care what is in the cache box. I go out just for the walk and the hunt. Once I find the cache, I call it a good cache before I open the box. Then I sign the log book. Lastly, I look at the items in the box.

I usually bring Dollar Store trinkets and I take the same. But it's not about the trade.

The last cache that we did, we brought along our 9 year old niece. She had brought a trade item but decided not to trade. Once we had the cache hidden back the way we found it and started our hike back, she looked at us and asked 'Can we do another one today?'

I like her attitude!

Lots of people doing the easier caches have their small kids with them, so toys, even McD's are great to find & trade. Also, usually due to the above mentioned kids, there isn't a lot of cash around for buying "good" trade items. Nothing wrong with putting better things in caches requiring more work to find.

It's not difficult to meet demands; just turn around and there they are.

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

Boreal is right-on about this. I don't hit too many caches filled with useless things probably because I go for the more difficult finds. As far as putting in good stuff, I find trade shows are great sources!! How many pens, fridge magnets, bus card holders, pocket knives and other swag emblazened with company logos does one person need??

I need a business card holder! Quite badly, actually. Man, oh man! I would happily trade the "squeezable whale" I picked up at the last cache for a business card holder! You must have higher quality trade items out east! icon_biggrin.gif

For some reason, this thread has been sticking in my mind. After some thought, I think that I understand SkidiverBC's point.

He's not saying that there is anything wrong with McD's and the dollar stores. But if someone is going to take a t-shirt, they should leave a quality compass (or something else of comparable value).

I agree with his point.

The harder-to-get-to caches may be set up as a high yield by the owner and I imagine that, he too, would be upset to find all of his $15-$25 items replaced by dollar store trinkets.

Those who put in the effort to place and find the more difficult caches deserve the rewards.

The rest of us who are "challenge-challenged" can go for the easier ones and those rewards are simply to find the cache.

That's my "dollar store trinket's" worth anyway.

I agree that trades should be fair but i also like to see the small toys in the cache .... Personaly they are a great way to encourage my kids to go hiking and they dont even realize there doing it cause to them its like finding pirates treasure (great fun for an 8 year old)... but this is about fair trades a bug for a bug a cool hat for a t-shirt ect...i also like to hunt for signature items it and personaly i leave my own signature items when i cache... they ususaly cost me about5-10 to make. i realy dont care what people trade cause once ive been to a cache im not likly to go back to it unless im trading TB but i can see the point of other cachers who set up a cool cache and go to do maintanence on it and find only bottle caps left in it... thus my reasoning for making cheeper caches in awsome locations... it truly isnt about the contents its about the adventure and the site each cache brings you too. hopefully its sonmewhere youve never seen with an awsome view. I hope that caching never becomes a greed issue for me an my caching family. just my rambling thoughts and happy caching to all.

Hard in Easy Out![8D]

I recently hid my first cache and spent well over $30 filling it. I was disapointed to find out someone had raided it within the first two weeks it was out. I was also extremely encouraged to see that all the visitors that went to find it since have only left (usualy more than one) items. They are 'replenishing' my cache without being prompted. That my friends is generous and in a word quite awesome.

All the caches I have found so far have been quite easy and hence quite, shall we say, simple. In my opinion, people around here have been more than fair. Hope the generosity spreads.

Merci,

Canoegal

I would just like to raise my little ole Dragon paw and point something out...

Some geocachers might be like me; and have a mobility disability and cannot DO the harder caches. Does that relegate me to McD toys for the rest of my geocaching career? I hope not.

So far, I've only done locationless caches because they are the only ones I can do by myself and with my physical limitations. I still get a thrill of completing them, but someday would hope to be able to go hunting for the real thing.

In the meantime, I've been slowly collecting goodies for a cache of my own, and I plan to have a Dragon-theme to it. I even launched a geocaching website along with forums; as that is one way that I can contribute to the sport, despite my limitations...

~ Jade Dragon

http://www.dragoncache.com