Good Bye........for now

KimAndMollie

I know you guys are on to comedians and "gazintas" now, but anyway . . .

The following wouldn't be suitable for everyone but works perfectly for me. Always wear denim overalls with a roomy bib pocket when geocaching. The pocket is just inches from your neck, allowing you to tuck the whole cord away so it won't dangle and snag, and also taking the weight of your unit so you can't even feel it around your neck. You can very quickly grab it and just as quickly tuck it out of sight, but it always stays around your neck and the only way it can get lost is if you hand it to someone else. Face the screen outwards so it doesn't lose its signals.

Betcha that lost GPS is lost somewhere in that cache cruiser. My inlaws lost one of there 8! kids in a similar car for several hours. And not on purpose. (I think)

I would carry my GPS on a lanyard around my neck if it was long enough (or my head smaller). And then tuck it into my coat along with my compass bino's

Carrying a pistol on a lanyard might be part of the uniform but would be suicide in a firefight. But that friendly debate is best left on other forum's.

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

"...Carrying a pistol on a lanyard might be part of the uniform but would be suicide in a firefight. But that friendly debate is best left on other forum's..."

...then why start it here? icon_rolleyes.gif

The pistol lanyard that I was referring to isn't a mere decorative uniform 'accoutrement', it's a functional piece of a Canadian soldier's 'fighting order' (that combination of personal uniform and equipment that he/she would wear into combat). Far from being 'suicide in a firefight' (...my last was in southern Lebanon, where was yours?), the lanyard helps to ensure that a pistol is still within reach when you need it ...even if it's dropped on the ground (or in the water) while patrolling in the middle of a moonless night.

ontario1.gif

You should have given me the coords where you lost it. I was on the Island Sunday and today (Monday). Could have scored another GPS. icon_wink.gif

I had a hectic weekend on the Island! Some mega high-clearance 4x4ing, mega hiking up steep rocky hills, bush-wacking, etc. GPS odometer on 575km. Will work out still how much is driving and how much hiking.

Did anyone loose their Mazda 4x4 truck near Point 2 of Watchers Point (Team KFWB) cache? The road there was really bad so not sure if maybe the Mazda was stuck there or what. The hood was cold so it must have been there for some time.

Has anyone found Point 1 and/or Point 4 for Watchers Point?

RobertM

Hey eroyd, I thought about searching the USS Lexington Cachecruiser, but I did not have the eTrex Venture that day. Cacherunner had the Dinghy (Pontiac) and took the eTrex to Mystic Vale.

Elly May would be about 106, by now wouldn't she?..Hmm...maybe them Hill Folk age better. I should ask cachewidow what she thinks...

I keep my.. AHEM..eTrex Legend on a lanyard around my neck for easy decapitation. I also have the official handy dandy Garmin almost see through carrying case, with belt clasp, and I attach that to my vest at the shoulder, so I don't lose coverage as much in the bush. This is crucial when first becoming lost, as it is much easier to become more lost if you can follow your own track, and see where you haven't been lost yet. It also makes it easier to resist the temptation to check the GoTo distance...every 5 meters.

If I ain't sweatin', I ain't cachin. Are we there yet?

Hey Mariner,

Thanks for killing my little fantasy icon_wink.gif Turns out Elly May was born the same year as my mom.(1939)YIKEE'S. I understand that she's a Gospel Singer, residing back in Bug Tussle (Ozarks). Probably still raising her critters. Perhaps Granny's nack for creat'n potions and curin ailments and Elly's Wrasslin' with Jethro kept her in shape. Bet she could still come up with some purdy innerestin' cache locals.

The Lanyard thing, I put that to the test in another forum. I loose! icon_wink.gif With my recent performance I should have a lanyard on everything. I think Cachewidow would like to put me on a realy short one.

"Let me tell ya 'bout a story of a man named eroyd,

Pore Mountaineer, barely saw v and c-royd,

Then one day he was huntin up a stash,

and up through the ground came KFWB cash!

Money that is, Green Gold, BC Tea.

First thing ya know eroyd's a hundred-are.

Cachewidow said, eroyd, get away from there!

Home with the girls is the place ya oughta be,

Come fix the furnace, to hell with KFWB!

She said Lower Mainland is the place we oughta be,

So they packed up the Jimmy,and moved to Shaunessy..

Hills that is. Maintenance free furnaces, new KFWB caches."

I missed my calling, with respects to Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Merry Xmas, eroyd, cachewidow, v-royd and c-royd! icon_biggrin.gif

Note to all:

I have an older relative, who watches these forums quite regularly. This person decided that I needed a new GPSr, and found the best deal to be at GPS Central for a new eTrex Legend, with the US $50 rebate. I am back in business! Another relative of mine then went to eBay, and found an eTrex Venture for Cacherunner at a sunstantially reduced price. We are now a TWO GPSr family! Isn't it funny how things work out for the best? If she had lost my Venture in May or June, I'd be hooped, instead, it was near Xmas.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. The relatives are watching these posts and I wanted to acknowledge them publicly here, without naming names.

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year.

PS ..eroyd...how did you get an eTrex out of the furnace repair guy anyway??

quote:
Originally posted by MarinerBC:

I use the lanyard, wrapped around a button on my wrist, or in summer, my belt

MarinerBC

icon_eek.gifWere you born with this button on your wrist or was it a result of a horrible Geocaching incident? icon_eek.gif Or did you have it surgically implanted for the sole purpose of attaching your GPSr lanyard to? If it is the latter, then you should win the "Most Dedicated Geocacher of the Year" award. icon_biggrin.gifROTF icon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

A GPSr has more than enough metal in it to set off even the cheapest metal detector (Radio Shack). This I know from experience, because you have never heard us treasure hunters swear more than when we come up against an aluminum can hit by a lawnmower (we can tell you where ever freakin piece ended up). So if you were to go that route, ie. borrow or purchase then return you would be likely quite successful in finding it. I would recommend borrowing/renting a mid to higher end unit with better 'discrimination settings' or you will be sounding on a lot +++ of false targets. Email me if you want more info on searching in this manner as I have been doing it for approx 20 years now.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

As we both have replacement units now, I have pretty much given it up as lost, but I'm going to be in that area today, so will give it another once over. I may go the metal detector route, but I'm not sure if I have the patience! icon_wink.gif I appreciate everyone's help, support and input-it's been really helpful.

And I never noticed that button on his wrist before...hmmmmmmmmmm..... icon_razz.gif

Found it!

Hey Medic P1, You are correct. This is a congenital defect, caused by textile manufacturers near where I grew up. The fallout caused a button-like growth on my left wrist. What I should have said was...:

quote:
I keep my.. AHEM..eTrex Legend on a lanyard around my neck for easy decapitation. I also have the official handy dandy Garmin almost see through carrying case, with belt clasp, and I attach that to my vest at the shoulder, so I don't lose coverage as much in the bush. This is crucial when first becoming lost, as it is much easier to become more lost if you can follow your own track, and see where you haven't been lost yet. It also makes it easier to resist the temptation to check the GoTo distance...every 5 meters.

Just so ya know, I am forever lost and very proud of such. I have been extensively trained by the Province of British Columbia in First Aid, and Disaster Assistance. This means that I can be a disaster at any time, and am able to faint at the sight of blood on command. Just ask eroyd, Plantman, Dagg, bcrockcrawler, or Yellowcode3. They all have first hand experience in seeing me create disasters.

Wasn't this the same place we were discussing lanyards a while back?

Well I still don't use the one on my GPS but this weekend on Watcher I did use the lanyard on my compass and it came in real handy. I think I may just try the lanyard thing on my GPS. Wearing thick gloves and trying to hold onto a zillion things in wind and snow make the lanyard a handy thing.