Good Bye........for now

KimAndMollie

Because of carelessness, and stupidity, I lost MarinerBC's GPSr. As we cannot afford to replace it at this time, I am goig into semi-retirement,probably for several months. I would, however, like to take this opportunity to thank the 170 cachers whose caches I've found, and to the special group of island cachers I had the supreme honour and pleasure of meeting this past Labour Day weekend, and earlier in August here in Victoria, and last but not least, the Cache Cruise Cache Crew. I've had a blast, and will again, I hope. Thanks, you guys! It's been fun.

cacherunner icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cacherunner:

Because of carelessness, and stupidity, I lost MarinerBC's GPSr. As we cannot afford to replace it at this time, I am goig into semi-retirement,probably for several months.

SNIPPED

I've had a blast, and will again, I hope. Thanks, you guys! It's been fun.

Hey: try not to feel too bad about it... we've all done stupid stuff with GPSr's. I have lost mine twice but luckily was able to go back and find it before anyone noticed.

Good luck with the running.

Take care... and look on the bright side... ski season is here

DD

What's the point of having any toy and not using it. Your's got used a lot. Things break and go missing, especially when your distracted by having fun. Everyones got there stories to tell. ie, broken vehicles, tires, lost blood and tears etc.

I really hope you recover from this set back and get back into the Game.

PS. anyone find a Silva Ranger Compass near witches hat.

I have slowly come to grips with this. What makes it harder, is that it wasn't my toy to lose. We WILL get back into the game, not to worry. We will at least be back by July, when we have vowed to do your Toys in the Attic, and actually get to the top this time! icon_wink.gif Your Leech Falls and plantman's #5 were the first 2 caches we ever did, and consequently, you 2 have been our inspirations to try new and exotic (?) places. Thanks for the kind words-see you on the trails soon!

Found it!

As we speak, I'm gunning for my own GPS-I have a few options available, I think. Any input on the Magellan GPS? Nothing against Garmin, but for my price range, the Magellan 310, or 315, is looking like the best deal. As far as the group effort for Arrowsmith next year, count us in-we'll be back with a vengeance by then, for sure! Happy caching, guys! icon_biggrin.gif

Found it!

Magellan 315's are a very good basic unit, the 320's the same unit with some nautical features. No maps or noth'n. Plantmans got the 320 I think. I've got a tired scratched up 315. I'd pass on the 310, you'd get less frustration out of the FREE GPS at 'Wye Frogs'. You can play with my toy if you want....GPS that is. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cacherunner:

Because of carelessness, and stupidity, I lost MarinerBC's GPSr. As we cannot afford to replace it at this time, I am goig into semi-retirement,probably for several months. I would, however, like to take this opportunity to thank the 170 cachers whose caches I've found, and to the special group of island cachers I had the supreme honour and pleasure of meeting this past Labour Day weekend, and earlier in August here in Victoria, and last but not least, the Cache Cruise Cache Crew. I've had a blast, and will again, I hope. Thanks, you guys! It's been fun.

Ah Man pull it together!

If you have to Geocache you can get a unit from ebay.ca for next to nothing Like This One. True, it may not be as fancy as the one you lost, but it will get you back in the saddle until you can afford a new one more to your liking, and then you can take the cheaper one as your very own to lose in any way you’d like.

I think someone’s being a little bit melodramatic about not being able to cache again until June.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel for your loss, but if you wanted to go Geocaching, you’d find a way...

All my respect.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

We had the great pleasure today to meet Mariner BC and a duck in tow. They were feasting on some TH chili and a nice visit we had. I felt horrible to find out how devestated you are about the recent loss. I have placed an urgent call to Santa and I hope that maybe he'll be able to leave a special cache under your tree at christmas. We're looking forward to meeting someday you and the other Island cachers in the near future. Maybe it will be as early as January 1 in Comox for the Van Isle Geocach polarbear dip. Keep your chin up!

Mrs. Coast2coast2coast and Zoe dog

*****The other day I was playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.*****

To DirtRunner: This thread was not meant to garner sympathy, merely to explain to the many people I've come to know and respect in the caching community, what is going on with me. I've never been one to wallow in self-pity, and that wasn't my goal here. If I don't cache for a while, I don't cache for a while-NBD! icon_wink.gif Thanks for your concern though!

To Dagg:Thanks for the gender clarification! That must explain my bouts of melodrama! I guess I must be one of few solo female geocachers. Granted, MBC and I do cache together, but a lot of the ones I've gotten, I've gotten on my own.

To Yellowcode: I have the will, I'm just trying to work on 'the way'.

To MBC: Love you!!! icon_wink.gif

Found it!

[This message was edited by cacherunner on November 30, 2002 at 01:49 PM.]

This fall, I was up in a tree stand about 15' up. I was bored so I pulled my GPSr from my pack and was playing with it. Put it down on top of the pack. Then a few minutes, later, forgetting it was on the pack, hoisted the pack up. The GPSr did one bounce on the tree stand floor and then 15' feet down. Luck was with me. It landed on some nice soft moss. Not a scratch on it and it works just fine. A few inches either way was either rock or wood which would of smashed it.

Honestly, my first thought upon finding it in working order: "I can still go Geocaching" so I can sympathize with your situation.....

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

You know mariner, all things happen for a reason and after I saw the results your GPSr was giving us at Daggs cache a couple of weekends ago, it was fate that made it go missing. It sure wasn't working well out there. icon_eek.gif

LOL

I smell upgrade, not sure if that would help. But it makes the budget look justified. icon_biggrin.gif

We live on a rock, ergo we rockcrawl.......

Instead of hanging it around my neck, with the lanyard, like MBC has asked me to do 173 times (at least!), I stuck it in my pocket temporarily, until I could get up the hill, to find the cache I was looking for, and it fell out. icon_frown.gif It was green with a black case, and there was a lot of thick ground cover,with ivy, and leaves, so that made it impossible to find. We spent at least 5 hours looking, retracing my steps, all to no avail. The dumb thing is, I usually always carry a knapsack, or a fanny pack, but not that day. Anyway, it's done, and we've dealt with it. We shall live to cache another day! icon_wink.gif

Found it!

It’s probably still there. Find someone with a metal detector and head back out for another search...I was under the impression that it fell out on a trail, but if its hiding in ivy/ground cover....

Dagg

I used to hike up mountains for the views [icon_wink.gif]

RobertM, I think you have something there. It might be fun...Maybe I WILL put it up as a sort of KFWB cache, "To the first finder only, one Garmin Etrex Venture. The cache will be archived after the first successful log entry!" We could call it "BOLD DEFIANT NAVIOGATIONAL TOY AT THE HILL COMMAND DECISION KEEP THE GPSR CACHE"..or something like that...

Hey Dagg.. a multi?? KEWL.. I think I'm gonna rent a GPSr to get started. Dagg caches are wayyyyyyy kewl for you folks who haven't dome any. Colour me Dagg for the next week or so.

If I ain't sweatin', I ain't cachin. Are we there yet?

If I'm not mistaken! I believe it's for hanging the GPS around one's neck, or attaching it to one's wrist, but I could be wrong. Things fall out of pockets, and out of open bags, and even out of hands! If it's attached to you, you'll know it's trying to get lost. It has nothing to do with age or maturity, and everything to do with taking care of one's possessions. For the record, I'm 36, but that's not the issue. The issue is I was responsible for the loss of someone else's property, due to unnecessary carelessness on my part.

Found it!

Garmin's must come with longer lanyards than Magellans cause no matter how hard I try and try, I can not get this blasted thing around my neck. Could it be that I have a big head. Now my ears hurt. I can barely get this thing around my wrist never mind any other appendage.

...would be of a length and intended function similar to the ones that the Army uses for their sidearms.

Because of the horrendous amount of paperwork involved should you ever have the misfortune to lose one of the Queen's pistols (and she does notice when one is missing), they come with a lanyard. At one end, the lanyard attaches to the heel of the pistol's butt (just behind where the magazine is inserted), at the other end, it loops around the wearer's waist belt. Long enough to leave attached when the pistol is drawn and extended at arm's length, the lanyard physically attaches the weapon to the user ...whether it's holstered or 'in use'.

A GPSr lanyard could be used the same way (were it of the right length). I know that the carrying case for my Vista is designed so that a lanyard can be attached to the GPSr while it's in the case ...so you could wear the case/GPSr (with lanyard attached) clipped on your belt...

57962_4300.jpg

ontario1.gif

Now all I have to do is remember to use it! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm going for 1 more look on Sunday, just to satisfy my curiosity. The first couple of times I looked, were in desperation. Now I have a cool, clear head, and lots of time. Who knows? icon_smile.gif

P.S. To Robert M. : You're right-chacun a son gout. as they say! You must be really lucky, really careful, or a bit of both! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

Garmin's must come with longer lanyards...

My etrex strap came with a little "bead" threaded on it. If you are not careful, this bead can slip right off the long end. So, I tied a knot in the strap, right at the end, thereby trapping the bead.

Now, the bead works like a sliding lock. Just put your wrist between the straps and between knot at the end and the sliding bead. Then cinch the bead tight.

This 3 cent bead has saved my $400 etrex more than once!

Well, as we used to say back home, "To each, their own " icon_wink.gif I use the lanyard, wrapped around a button on my wrist, or in summer, my belt. Oh and by the way RobertM, I'm 6. We aren't as accelerated in school as you mainland folks. Next year I learn my Gazintas.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...would be of a length and intended function similar to the ones that the Army uses for their sidearms.

Because of the horrendous amount of paperwork involved should you ever have the misfortune to lose one of the Queen's pistols (and she _does_ notice when one is missing), they come with a lanyard. At one end, the lanyard attaches to the heel of the pistol's butt (just behind where the magazine is inserted), at the other end, it loops around the wearer's waist belt. Long enough to leave attached when the pistol is drawn and extended at arm's length, the lanyard physically attaches the weapon to the user ...whether it's holstered or 'in use'.

A GPSr lanyard could be used the same way (were it of the right length). I know that the carrying case for my Vista is designed so that a lanyard can be attached to the GPSr while it's in the case ...so you could wear the case/GPSr (with lanyard attached) clipped on your belt...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/57962_4300.jpg

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/animated/provii/ontario1.gif

I can see one big problem with this. If your crashing thru the bush with that long loop It's going to snag on something at somepoint but it's a good idea though. At least it's not around your neck icon_eek.gif

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

So have you gone hunting for it? Did you find it. It's probably still there unless it was on the path and someone picked it up, but you did say there was long grass nearby.

I hope my previous comments didn't come across as being sarcastic or rude. :-) I guess cause I cache alone I perceive the whole situation differently. Me, I hate those lanyards. Okay, the camera one is good but the GPSr is brand-new and I haven't used it. But others use them and find them useful. Maybe it's also cause I remember as a kid using binoculars for example my Dad would always say to put the strap around my neck, thinking I'd drop the binoculars and that way they wouldn't fall and break. :-) Maybe it's me rebelling against those childhood days. :-)

So good luck in finding the GPSr! As a mainlander I'm rather keen on the Island get together(s) planned. But let me go and read that thread and maybe I'll meet you all and you can beat me up over the lanyard, or with one! :-)

RobertM

Hey RobertM,

She says she is going back again tomorrow, trip number 4. It's in very deep undergrowth, I am told, so I have my doubts.

Would love to see you over here at the event. Bring some folks with you, and share the ferry fare. Then you can teach me those gazintas.

Hi,

The VI event is next week Friday if I'm not mistaken and I don't see anyone else interested from Vancouver. icon_frown.gif

Why doesn't she do this... Go to RadioShack (or similar place) and buy a metal detector. Take the metal detector and go and hunt for the GPSr, hoping that it has enough metal that it will infact be picked up. Once you've found it, or not found it, take the metal detector back and say it's not really what you were looking for. Don't pull a Seinfeld and say you are returning it for 'spite'! icon_wink.gif That doesn't seem like a valid excuse.

Re 'gazintas'. I'm lost again. Us immigrants don't know these local words. icon_wink.gif I'm fairly new to Vancouver. I immigrated mid-May 2002 from South Africa and really enjoying Funcouver!

RobertM

quote:
Originally posted by Team Oddball:

"...I can see one big problem with this. If your crashing thru the bush with that long loop It's going to snag on something at somepoint but it's a good idea though. At least it's not around your neck icon_eek.gif ..."

Having anything looped around your neck that stands a chance of getting hung-up on something that's standing still while you're moving (or vice versa) is usually not a good idea. icon_eek.gif

I've had occasion to be crawling (literally) through some fairly heavy underbrush while wearing a pistol tethered in much the same manner as depicted in the illustration posted earlier. Getting the lanyard caught or tangled rarely presented itself as problem ...but, as someone pointed out in an earlier post, how(if) you choose to wear a GPSr lanyard is clearly a matter of personal preference.

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on December 07, 2002 at 08:55 PM.]

Re: gazintas and other stuff

That's actually an 'Americanism', specifically from comedian Jeff Foxworthy. It has to do with math i.e. 3 gazinta 9 three times, 5 gazinta 20, four times-you get the idea! icon_smile.gif

The metal detector idea is good, but I'm not sure of how much metal content there actually is. Looks like I'm getting a Venture for Christmas (or earlier), so my motivation for going back is because I hate losing things. As George Carlin said "It doesn't bother me so much that it's lost, but where the hell IS it?" icon_wink.gif

Any possible way I can attach the future Venture to my person, I will-count on it! Thanks everyone for all your input-hope to see y'all on Friday! icon_biggrin.gif

Found it!