MapSource Canada Topos

Team Pooh

We are new to caching and have been reading the forums for a couple of months now. Thought I'd make my first post a "good news" one.

Just bought some GPS goodies for work from a supplier in Manitoba (you know who). They told me that Garmin is about to release a Mapsource with Canadian Topo info on it. Not just the current enhanced basemap version, but something similar to the US Topo version. Slated to release April 2003.Checked the Garmin site, but no notice of upcoming products. Hope it's true.

I know nothing more.

PS Anybody heading up the Cassiar Hwy in BC (Hwy 37 North), please drop off a cache or two. The two local cachers here are getting lonely.

...but I wonder if the coverage will be limited to the 'select' areas covered by the current crop of Canadian MapSource products, or something that is truly coast-to-coast-to-coast?

Either way, I suppose that some Canadian topo coverage is better than none at all (at least for those of us who use their GPSrs in the defined areas).

ontario1.gif

My personal cache preference is rural with a decent hike involved in the hunt. I always print out a copy of the topo for the area showing cache location(s), parking spot and, if it is near or on the Bruce Trail system, the trails overlayed on the map.

The only advantage I can see for having topo maps on my GPSR would be to eliminate the need for paper but a hiker would be foolish to go without a map in pocket in case of electronics failure.

What benefits am I missing here?

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

"...The only advantage I can see for having topo maps on my GPSR would be to eliminate the need for paper but a hiker would be foolish to go without a map in pocket in case of electronics failure. What benefits am I missing here?..."

Several, I think...

Not everyone is in the habit of carrying a hardcopy topo when they hike. For many caches (the ones in well marked areas that are a mere hop/skip/jump from the parking lot), a paper topo map is probably superfluous from a 'just in case I need it to find my way back' point of view. In these cases, simply printing off a copy of the local MapQuest map in order to get your car to the trailhead would be enough for most folks. Having topo data displayed on your GPSr would be nice just to know how much further you need to go before you get to the top of the next #@$%*& hill.

On the other hand, for someone such as yourself, having topo data displayed on your GPSr could often save you the trouble of pulling the hardcopy topo out of your pack (which you would still be carrying 'just in case') and orientating it in relation to the position information on your GPSr.

I agree with you though... if there's any chance that you'll be depending on a map to 'find your way back', counting on something that runs on batteries without carrying a conventional hardcopy as a back-up is a fool's game. I suppose that the same thing could be said for digital compasses vs. the good ol'fashioned kind.

ontario1.gif

Mapsource Canada Topo is coming this summer, it may not release until a little later than first anticipated. Every indication is that it will be complete coverage and not just spotty as is the current City coverage.Garmin is going to release updated city, marine the new topo this year. Marine coverage will include the Trent/ Severn and Lake Simcoe waterways for Ontario boaters.

quote:
Originally posted by uhiker:

Mapsource Canada Topo is coming this summer, it may not release until a little later than first anticipated. Every indication is that it will be complete coverage and not just spotty as is the current City coverage.Garmin is going to release updated city, marine the new topo this year. Marine coverage will include the Trent/ Severn and Lake Simcoe waterways for Ontario boaters.

That all sounds great ...where does your info come from?

ontario1.gif

I love topo maps and I have;

-Fugawi Bruce Trail in BSB format

-Softmap S/Ontario

-A number of Toporam maps

-A collection of Paper maps for wherever I go

The one thing that I've discovered from all these maps is that 1:50000 is almost useless. I have tried caching without a GPS and in fact I've been as close or closer both times I tried it. The thing is that I rarely go caching anywhere where a Topo is necessary.

Let's face it. In S/Ontario the roads are no more then 2 miles part in most areas. IF you ever got "lost" you could just walk North/East/South/West towards the road your car is on!

I like to take maps out with me for fun and I like to look at the maps before heading out to get an idea where to park, but I just couldn't see spending the money on Topo data for my GPS.

Of course, if I did try it, I might change my mind! :-)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

if you really want to find a cache where the topo maps would be useful, try searching for waypoint GC1B97

I'd love to have a GPS with topo maps that cover that area. The map that shows on the web page is absolutely correct, and totally useless.

I'm half thinking of trying for this one on the way by during my next canoe trip. I doubt it will be intact though, given the contents and the location.

icon_razz.gif

I am looking forward to the Topos being available in the GPSr. While I note that Ontario is hilly, here in BC it's a real choker to be confronted by a cliff 300 meters high when you're 200 meters from the cache. Because I learned the hard way, I, too, carry BCGS topos with me, but it would be a nice feature to have the contours in the Receiver as well.

I am not very impressed with the accuracy of the map that came installed on my Garmin Legend. The few marine markers that it shows on the water can be way out of place (check out the white Nav Aid at Horseshoe bay - wrong side of the bay). They also have roads in my area listed as towns. Lakes around here have the wrong name or they are misspelled. The highway to Courtenay has been in place for 5 years & the highway to Campbell River has been in place for almost 2. These are still not on the update. This is one small 100sqkm area with a terrible number of mistakes. Are the topos going to be any better?

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.