New cache infested with slugs

Hi all,

Im looking for eco friendly solution to this slimey problem - my new cache placed less than 7 days ago has become infested with slugs as seen in the photo. It’s placed in the centre of a tree about 2 foot off the ground and then covered in sticks for added cover. There isn’t really any other suitable locations at this site so moving it isn’t really an option. The cache container is a simple bottle top type containing only a log so I’m not sure what’s attracting the slugs.

any ideas?

626E44A0-FD8F-463D-BD35-5160E68CEB9D.jpeg

• Funny 1

Looks like adding cover has helped retain moisture there, which attracts the slugs. (Just a guess, I am an attorney, not a slug-ologist.)

Might not be a problem year round. Maybe just warn folks to watch out for slugs for now, and see if it is still a problem later on.

Edited by geoawareUSA9
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Irishal_0 said:

Hi all,

Im looking for eco friendly solution to this slimey problem - my new cache placed less than 7 days ago has become infested with slugs as seen in the photo. It’s placed in the centre of a tree about 2 foot off the ground and then covered in sticks for added cover. There isn’t really any other suitable locations at this site so moving it isn’t really an option. The cache container is a simple bottle top type containing only a log so I’m not sure what’s attracting the slugs.

any ideas?

626E44A0-FD8F-463D-BD35-5160E68CEB9D.jpeg

Unless it’s intended as a slug nest cache, you could try hanging that thing a little higher on a tree trunk.  When the slugs move out, other creepy crawlies will move in.  It’s a bug haven.

I had a cache that was a mouse home.  That is, he moved into the camouflage.  I guess it was cosy. Eventually the mouse won, I archived it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

We've found multi-trunked trees often remain moist, some even building compost in that nice, flat hidey spot.

We had one of our first caches, actual Tupperware, become a science project with all the various molds because of it.    :)

It freezes the cache inside a block of ice in Winter too.

As others, I'd move it.  You say that's not possible.  Pick one.  If you don't mind "Gross find in slime!" logs, leave it.   

3 hours ago, terratin said:

Or you could rename it. There's this folk folklore story that slug slime helps against warts. :lol:

So it’s a plastic screw cap under sticks in a moist tree crotch infested with slugs, and hunted by Geocachers with warts.

It sounds great!  What’s the catch?  :anicute:

• Funny 2
23 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Use a Small container instead of a Micro. That way seekers don't need to reach into the slugs.

Or it provides more surface area for the slugs to really stretch out. :P

There’s a local cache in the crotch of a multi-trunk tree, a small lock-n-lock that lately is found partially submerged in smelly, black mud. But no slugs.  Unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Or it provides more surface area for the slugs to really stretch out. :P

There’s a local cache in the crotch of a multi-trunk tree, a small lock-n-lock that lately is found partially submerged in smelly, black mud. But no slugs.  Unfortunately.

Tardigrades like that stuff, the more nutrients dropped in the better.   :)

• Helpful 1

I agree it's most likely the moisture plus the added cover. Slugs like moist places and the cover aids protection against predators. I found something similar in a park in Colchester. The cache was a micro hidden in a pine cone placed in a shallow hole in trunk of a pine tree. The hole was moist from rain and the pine cone reduced the evaporation that would normally dry out the hole. Lovely, big, green slugs thought it was a slug appartment block.

If removing the sticks makes the hide too obvious and you can't find alternative dry spot then you're stuck with the problem.

Watch the logs and see how it goes.

• Helpful 2

You might try placing something that is a deterrent beneath the cache (like lava rock), but, really, any cacher should not be surprised at what surrounds a cache outdoors.  We found this one recently:  the cache was found amidst an amazing number of cocoons, obviously seasonal, wish we could have been around to see what emerged!IMG_3561.thumb.JPG.926a5a5ed774e53278fb2979c277524c.JPG

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 4heberts said:

You might try placing something that is a deterrent beneath the cache (like lava rock), but, really, any cacher should not be surprised at what surrounds a cache outdoors.  We found this one recently:  the cache was found amidst an amazing number of cocoons, obviously seasonal, wish we could have been around to see what emerged!IMG_3561.thumb.JPG.926a5a5ed774e53278fb2979c277524c.JPG

Bagworm moth, a tiny black moth.  Those cocoons could make finding the cache more challenging. :anicute: