What gps to use when placing a cache?

donnaandsteve

How do you see your current coordinates on Google Maps? I whipped out my phone and didn't see them. In general, trust coordinates when you're physically at a location rather than plopping a dot on a website map - if that's what's going on. :)

Are the coordinates in two different formats? DD.ddddd vs DD mm.mmm? (That's decimal degrees vs. Degrees + decimal minutes)

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, donnaandsteve said:

Checking out a spot to hide our first cache. GPS coordinates when using Google maps are quite different than the ones when using the Geocaching App coordinates. Which should we use?

As TriciaG said, coords in Google Maps are a different format from the Geocaching App.  It’s easy to convert between the two.

Also as mentioned, you need to be careful to get good coords, and Google Map points can be tricky if you try to use them as cache coords.

Edited by kunarion

See this Help Centre page on how to get accurate coordinates. Maps and satellite imagery can be surprisingly inaccurate in some places, it's always best to take multiple readings with a GPS device at GZ (preferably on different days) and only use the maps as a sanity check. If you notice a significant difference, go back and take another reading and, if it agrees with your earlier readings, favour that over the map.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

That's going to happen sometimes. The issue is not only the accuracy of Google map coordinates (pretty good but not perfect), but also your GPS device has a constantly changing estimation  of what it's location is, based on what satellites and other signal sources are influencing it. That's why sometimes on a map it seems like it's moving around while you're actually standing still. Not only can this change during the day, but over months. 

• I use my phone, not a Garmin GPS, but what I do is take GPS readings from a caching app I have which displays your current coordinates, PLUS the readings from a trail hiking app I use, PLUS a simple compass app I also have. Each of these tend to say a different thing at the same time.
  • Make sure to take the reading after letting your GPS settle by standing still at least a minute; it may display a margin of error and once that drops under 5m, that is pretty good. Things like trees and buildings can interfere, so even if it never gets that clear, settling it down is a good idea, and multiple readings essential. 
  • Google is decent for extra intel on urban caches with clear overhead views and landmarks one can use as references, but if there's woods / tree cover over your cache, it's tough to use Google  for that, maybe even impossible.  Do not rely on Google alone (so my cache reviewers always warn me). 

What you need to do is take multiple readings on multiple days, preferably with multiple apps, record them, and calculate the average readings.

In the field, I only make quick notes of these raw readings. Later at home, I add up and average the readings from each app, then I average the averages, so to speak, to get a final average of GPS readings.

I'll also go onto the computer and input what I calculate into Google Maps and see if it checks out. If I can see my cache spot on Google maps, I compare what Google says that spot's coordinates are. That may show a discrepancy, so just consider that Google can be another "source". Mix it into your averaging however much you wish. Whatever gives you confidence that the searchers will be able to go where you want them to go, and see what you want them to see, should be what you submit to the reviewers.

Anyways, that's what I've been doing, and so far no complaints about accuracy.

Edited by mysterion604
Redundant info deletion.
  • Surprised 1
On 4/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, donnaandsteve said:

Checking out a spot to hide our first cache. GPS coordinates when using Google maps are quite different than the ones when using the Geocaching App coordinates. Which should we use?

Hubby and I usually cache together, and when putting out a new cache, we both use our phones and the official app in compass mode to see what our current coordinates are.  Typically they are similar, but not always.  We note those coordinates, then come back another day and navigate using those coordinates to see how close it gets us.  I also have a Garmin Etrex 30x that I use to check and see what current position is.  Lastly, we plug the coordinates in to Google maps as a backup check to see if it's close - at least int he neighborhood.  But we don't adjust using Google maps because it doesn't seem to be as good as our GPS and phones.

Multiple readings, multiple days, average the results.... and navigate using your resolved coordinates with a couple of different devices.  That's the method we've used, and we get no complaints on coordinates being off, and sometimes even kudos for "spot on" coordinates.

2 hours ago, WRASTRO said:

Excellent comments from everyone so far. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you MUST use a GPS if you expect to obtain decent coordinates. Modern cell phones and apps are indeed up to the task as long as you follow the advice already given.

Yep. The last time I took coordinates for a new cache listing, I used both an Android app that averaged readings over the course of several minutes, and a handheld GPS receiver that also averaged readings over the course of several minutes. The results were virtually identical for all my waypoints.

20 hours ago, WRASTRO said:

Excellent comments from everyone so far. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you MUST use a GPS if you expect to obtain decent coordinates. Modern cell phones and apps are indeed up to the task as long as you follow the advice already given.

Nowadays, most smartphones are GPS receivers (with a GPS chip). I didn't even consider the OP was taking about a dedicated GPS receiver. :lol:

On 4/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, lee737 said:

You are best off using the app coordinates (even better a GPS unit), preferably averaged over more than one visit to the site. Google maps/caching map is OK to verify it looks ok, but not to get coordinates.....

Yes, EVERYONE should check their coordinates (obtained in the field) on Google maps. This stops people's coordinates being 400 metres out, and still saying they are correct. (Real example.) I find for where I live, that  the coordinates obtained in the field are usually a very close match to where they appear on Google maps. But this might not be the case everywhere in the world.

4 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I find for where I live, that  the coordinates obtained in the field are usually a very close match to where they appear on Google maps.

Same around here..... its a pity geocaching don't let you see your prospective hide on the full satellite map when editing a hide.... only the tiny postage stamp street map afterthought - very little use for non-urban hides.

9 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I've gone so far as to 'correct' the coordinates of an existing cache, so I can see where my new hide will be on the map, same for multi waypoints....

I plug my coordinates into the NSW government's SIX Maps site as its satellite images are much higher resolution than the blurry useless ones Google now uses for the Central Coast, but their alignment between tiles isn't too good and I take their accuracy with a grain of salt.

SIXMapsAlignment.jpg.73c5f42b739a6cfb2d4ad1cbba78f996.jpg

If I see a discrepancy with my field measurements, I'd take more measurements and stick with those.

• Helpful 1