Mag315 deal in Canada

GeoBee

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie and after spending ALOT of time at this site and these forums I decided on my starter unit being a Mag 315. Looking forward to my families first cache this weekend. Anyway, just thought I'd share the deal I found in Canada. Wal-Mart had the Mag 315 for 198, CanadianTire had it for 224. So, going to CT and getting them to match Wal-Mart, they also give you 10% in CT money (so I got $22 in CT Money) Then you mix that with the cash back offer from Magellan directy ($20 US=$35 CDN) All of a sudden you're down to around $140CDN for a great first unit. Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Happy Caching!

Geobee you made a good choice and I'm jealous of the deal you got. The 315 was my starter unit and remains in my backpack as a trusty stand-by. One bit of advice is to be sure and download the latest firmware version (3.15 I think) from Magellan's website. It made a major fix in the way the "auto-averaging" works. In fact if I had known the upgrade was coming I would not have replaced it.

Good luck and happy caching,

Olar

wavey.gif

Cheers! Great news for the Rig-meister! Bee saving the Rigster good dollars! Peace in Castle Rigatola with news to the Queen that King Rigalino has recouped funds spent on GPS that Queen felt would have been better spent on paint for the hall! Kudos to the Bee-man!

quote:
Originally posted by GeoBee:

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie and after spending ALOT of time at this site and these forums I decided on my starter unit being a Mag 315. Looking forward to my families first cache this weekend. Anyway, just thought I'd share the deal I found in Canada. Wal-Mart had the Mag 315 for 198, CanadianTire had it for 224. So, going to CT and getting them to match Wal-Mart, they also give you 10% in CT money (so I got $22 in CT Money) Then you mix that with the cash back offer from Magellan directy ($20 US=$35 CDN) All of a sudden you're down to around $140CDN for a great first unit. Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Happy Caching!

Excellent! Now you can take the money you saved right back down to Wal-mart and buy the data/power cable!!! (My wife hates it when I buy something because she's come to a realization that the ACCESSORIES are what kills you!)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I have borrowed a GPS 12 to use and still looking for my first unit. Didn't you need an ad or something for CT to price match? I know Walmart in Hamilton only sells the E-trex line. Where are you? And those in the know...how does that Mag 315 compare to the GPS 12 that I'm using now? I find it is pretty good but takes a long time to lock on to the satellites and doesn't hold very well when first starting it up. Once it has locked on after the initial start up it's pretty good.

Nope, didn't need one, just got CT to call the Wal-Mart and get their price, they always do, I've done that a few times and they never have a problem with it at the customer service desk. I'm in Calgary. I used the Garmin 12 about a week or so ago and found the two similar in use, except the 315 seems to lock and hold better in my opinion anyway, I think that's because of the quadrifler antenna and it being exposed. I also like the fact that the buttons on the 315 are at the bottom of the unit, easier to use.

This stuff is great, my son and I found our first cache this weekend and I think we're officially hooked...

FYI, I bought a Mag315 from Canadian Tire, and got the same deal as GeoBee. $200, with $20 in Canadian Tire Money (would have been $22, but I paid with Visa). It took some arm-twisting to get the CT money, though - the clerk didn't think I should get _any_ CT money if paying through Visa. Normally, you only get CT money if you pay cash, debit, or with a CT mastercard. With the price-match, I got the 10% CT money, but not the other CT money you'd normally get with a purchase.

Either way, a great deal. I'll be mailing for my rebate shortly.

I've found my first cache (Tuppertub) with the Mag315; seems to work well so far. It came with the 3.14 firmware; I'm wondering if anybody else bought one recently in Canada and whether it had the newest (3.15) firmware? If so, I might bring mine back and swap it for one with the newer firmware.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoBee:

Nope, didn't need one, just got CT to call the Wal-Mart and get their price, they always do, I've done that a few times and they never have a problem with it at the customer service desk. I'm in Calgary. I used the Garmin 12 about a week or so ago and found the two similar in use, except the 315 seems to lock and hold better in my opinion anyway, I think that's because of the quadrifler antenna and it being exposed. I also like the fact that the buttons on the 315 are at the bottom of the unit, easier to use.

This stuff is great, my son and I found our first cache this weekend and I think we're officially hooked...

i have a mag 315 that came with 2.07 3 years ago and yesterday i upgraded the software to 3.15. it took 10 mins and i even downloaded datum to my desktop and uploaded it today dad dropped of his mag 315 with 3.04 software to be upgraded.

you can get latest firmware at magellan home page and geocities.com/gormikk/conexione.htm gives a diagram of how to use an old db9 mouse cable as a subsitute for the cable(use vmm and not the colour codings to determine correct wire placement and tape the wires down with electrical tape) and the software to download datum is available at easygps.com.

its a very easy process.

Update:

Canadian Tire price is still $174.99 CAD as of Sep 22

Thanks to everyone who has posted this info, it has been very helpful. I am looking to but a GPS ASAP, and have posted a 'new topic' regarding the functionality of various models within the VANCOUVER area.

Anyone with specific feelings on the 315? I would appreciate some response.

Thanks,

Keith

Yep, my CT purchase had version 3.15 on it already. You could make sure it does at the store of course, just bring batteries. As soon as you turn it on, it'll say what version.

BTW, I'm super impressed with the unit. I really only use 1 screen otf the 9 98% of the time (other than to toggle back and see what reception is like), but that's okay! It works.

zuuuuuuuuuuk