How did you learn about geocaching?

Sigrun

I'll be honest, and say I learned about it from a comic book... The Knights of the Dinner Table, to be exact.

I didn't even have a clue that a hobby like geocaching existed, until it was mentionned in an editorial in the comic book. Since then, I've logged two caches within 2 weeks of getting a GPS, and I've assembled the items for a cache I'll be hiding tomorrow.... that's filled with Tim Horton's collectible stuff, for all you coffee junkies out there.

So how did everyone else here find out about geocaching?

Sigrun.

An article in the Toronto Star last May/June. It got my interest immediately and once accessing the website and discussion forum I was hooked. Bought a Mag315 less than a week later and haven't looked back.

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, take it!"

First saw it in a newspaper article in the Edmonton Journal online last May. Article tagline caught my attention, and then I recognized one of the individuals in the picture as a co-worker.

Couldn't convince my wife that we "needed" to buy a GPS, so I had to wait until that summer to log a couple caches with a friend and his GPS. Got my eTrex in August, and have been happily addicted ever since (and my wife is now a fellow geocaching advocate...).

I actually had my first GPSr before I ever knew about used it as a travel computer for my car...

Then I stumbled across www.geocaching.com last summer. Had fun caching with my old GPSr but decided I needed a better unit so I purchased a e-trex Vista.

Only recently have I been browsing the Forums.

I have not lost my mind...........

I left it in a Geo-Cache somewhere..........

My wife spotted the last 5mins on discovery channel. She then told me about it . Soon after i was on the net checking it out. Not long after that i was out loging the only cache in my area. Now geocaching as grown so much it had to be split up by provinces.

I too read the article in the Toronto Star. We had an old GPSr (Eagle AccuNav Sport) that we use on the boat for our fishing trips. Took that out with us for our first cache hunt but it was really bad in the thick cover. Didn't find it but we had such a hoot that we went out and bought a Vista. Came back the next weekend to try again and while walking and looking at the GPSr (like a newbie) and noticing that I was within a few feet of it, I actually kicked the cache.

**If you get up on the wrong side of the bed, go back to sleep!

I occasionally chat online with a guy originally from here, who now lives in Ontario. I think he read about geocaching somewhere and told me about it a few weeks ago. He also pointed me to geocaching.com, where I was surprised to see there was a cache about an hour away. I haven't found it yet, but decided to increase the number of caches in the area for anyone else who stumbles across the sport here, or wants to visit. I already had a GPSr for boating, but now I will be able to get much more use and enjoyment out of it.

Peter

Peter Haliburton

Lewisporte Area Geocaching Club

For Wheres In A Name I'm looking for 57 42.542' (57 42' 32.5")

44060_200.jpg

I saw that article in the Hamilton Spectator too, and I am hooked. Been searching sites to find a GPS unit. We were in Sherbrooke on Good Friday and drove out to Black Cherry #1 just to look around (minus a GPS..my husband grew up there and recognized the place just by the map).

So what GPS unit do I buy with a limited budget?

capjap

From my companies Intranet icon_smile.gif

One day I noticed a message announcing to the company that one of our own was in the Toronto Star(March 2001) an article about Geocaching. So I read it and I was hooked. My wife and I enjoy going out for a few hours.

But that's now on the back bunner for a few months, my wife is expecting in June.

From my companies Intranet icon_smile.gif

One day I noticed a message announcing to the company that one of our own was in the Toronto Star(March 2001) an article about Geocaching. So I read it and I was hooked. My wife and I enjoy going out for a few hours.

But that's now on the back bunner for a few months, my wife is expecting in June.