Ontario Topo Maps

3marketeer

Fedpubs has pretty well every map, while MEC only has a few for southern Ontario. Also the Fedpubs maps are on Tyvek while the only ones I've seen at MEC recently (last week) were paper.

Fedpubs also carries a wide range of mapping software including Softmaps. Softmaps is cheap and pretty good excpet for the lack of any way to import and plot waypoints. You can manually create each waypoint but it's tedious for more then a couple.

Softmap does do a really nice printing job though!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

One thing to check when buying a topo map. Check the datum at the bottom of the map as there is still a lot of them floating around with the 1927 datum instead of the newer 1984. I caught this because when i ploted the co-ords on the map it was about 10 clicks NW of my position.

If anyone is unsure as to where to find the Datum on a topo map look at bottom centre of map below the map name and scale you will see a few lines below that. They will reads as follows...NORTH AMERICAN DATUM 1984(or other years) also to the right of the map name at the bottom centre will be the year printed, this is also a big one to look for. icon_smile.gif

If anyone is unsure as to where to find the Datum on a topo map look at bottom centre of map below the map name and scale you will see a few lines below that. They will reads as follows...NORTH AMERICAN DATUM 1984(or other years) also to the right of the map name at the bottom centre will be the year printed, this is also a big one to look for. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Oddball:

I caught this because when i ploted the co-ords on the map it was about 10 clicks NW of my position.

If you are 10 Km off in your position, then you have a much bigger problem than the datum. As you did not say where you are, I will generalize and state that the maximum difference between NAD27 and NAD83 is about 100m. In Vancouver it is 96m. In Toronto it is 20m. In Halifax it is 61m. Also, in ALL cases, the shift is almost in a true east-west direction.

If you are 10 clicks North West, then the problem is not with the datum.

Also, to my knowledge, there is no recognized datum called NAD84. There is a NAD83 in widespread use and for all intents and purposes, is identical to WGS84.

12077_700.gif

I just found out that World of Maps in Ottawa won't honour a gift certificate that I received with the intention of purchasing Ontario Southern Vol. 1 CD-ROM by SoftMap. Their website advertizes that product, but when I arrived at the store they said that the product no longer exists. Try as I might they just would not refund the certificate.

binthair (and sorry I went!) icon_mad.gif

I just found out that World of Maps in Ottawa won't honour a gift certificate that I received with the intention of purchasing Ontario Southern Vol. 1 CD-ROM by SoftMap. Their website advertizes that product, but when I arrived at the store they said that the product no longer exists. Try as I might they just would not refund the certificate.

binthair (and sorry I went!) icon_mad.gif

I got an email from Softmaps the other day. They are back in business. I've also been bugging the guy to support GPX format in their regular version and not as part of some GPS add on.

Email them, bug them and see if you can get them to support GPX too!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command