Time to subdivide Canadian caches?

Guest cro

Guest cro

It is very encouraging to see the proliferation of caches in Canada!! I wonder if the time is approaching to regionalize the Canadian caches in similar fashion to the US caches. While I'm pleased to see new caches in BC and Nova Scotia, I'm not likely to be in either province in the immediate future. I think it would be nice to zoom into new caches placed in my own province first, then perhaps broaden my review of caches to other areas. Any thoughts?

Guest 300mag

Hello CRO

I have been thinking about this for a while.Now that the sport is really growing we will have to subdivise like you say.I think if the caches would be in alphabetical order this would help.But even with this one the day will come to split it up.I think there is still room for a few more caches but it's getting pretty crowded in the cache section.Maybe have a split western Canada and eastern Canada and if it grows more well split it up again?? What do you think out there?????

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest cliffy

I think it's only a matter of time till they break it down by province. Just look at the amout of caches placed in recent weeks. Seeing as the sport is getting more and more media coverage not to mention word of mouth, it won't be long till there's a whole bunch in most provinces. I think most people (including myself)heard about Geocaching over the winter months and were just waiting for the nice weather. At least we have a Canadian map of caches now......

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/canada.shtml

I'm sure ultimately they'll break that down by province too seeing as the caches in concentrated areas cover each other up.

Oh and thanks 300mag for the "ugraded" coordinates for my cache. I've currently got a new unit on back-order at Lebaron's and will be back at it as soon as it comes in.

Cheers.....cliffy icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

I think it's only a matter of time till they break it down by province. Just look at the amout of caches placed in recent weeks. Seeing as the sport is getting more and more media coverage not to mention word of mouth, it won't be long till there's a whole bunch in most provinces. I think most people (including myself)heard about Geocaching over the winter months and were just waiting for the nice weather. At least we have a Canadian map of caches now......

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/canada.shtml

I'm sure ultimately they'll break that down by province too seeing as the caches in concentrated areas cover each other up.

Oh and thanks 300mag for the "ugraded" coordinates for my cache. I've currently got a new unit on back-order at Lebaron's and will be back at it as soon as it comes in.

Guest 300mag

Like i said as time goes by and the game evolves here we will have to split it up.The way the game is getting known so far it's going to be faster than we think.For now i think a W/E split would be enough.No prob Cliffy.I am happy to hear youre getting a new unit.Can you let me know what you will be getting now? I am just a bit curious since you where asking about diff units.I am wondering what choice you made.

Ps:I am going to Le Baron tomorrow too.Hopefully my 300mag wont be back ordered icon_smile.gif Anyway someone found my cache Mountain King.I think you will enjoy this one with your new unit.It is quite a hike through the bush but worth it.

Pss:This time your wife will really want to kill you icon_biggrin.gif

Guest 300mag

Like i said as time goes by and the game evolves here we will have to split it up.The way the game is getting known so far it's going to be faster than we think.For now i think a W/E split would be enough.No prob Cliffy.I am happy to hear youre getting a new unit.Can you let me know what you will be getting now? I am just a bit curious since you where asking about diff units.I am wondering what choice you made.

Ps:I am going to Le Baron tomorrow too.Hopefully my 300mag wont be back ordered icon_smile.gif Anyway someone found my cache Mountain King.I think you will enjoy this one with your new unit.It is quite a hike through the bush but worth it.

Guest MaasNeotek

Here here!

Indeed, there are a number of caches in Canada now, so a provincial (territorial) breakdown should probably be offered.

I'll send jeremy my support for the effort.

Greg

------------------

http://www.building42.com/geocaching[/url]

Building42 is at 55°32'182" N 113°29'49" W

Guest gpblair

I am fairly new to the "Geocaching world", but have had a great time so far. I agree that the Canadian list should soon be sub-divided. I think that it should be done by province to keep things simple and well organized. I would suspect and hope that many more caches will pop up in Canada during the upcoming summer months. I have planted two recently in Nova Scotia and eagerly await more to go out and track down.

Guest cliffy

etting now? I am just a bit curious since you where asking about diff units.I am wondering what choice you made.

LOL!!!!!! like I said, She's a sucker for punishment (and stubborn)so I'm sure she'll wanna come along.

And as for the unit I ordered (and finally got this Thursday), I went for the Garmin E-trex Legend. I had narrowed down my choice to either that one OR the Lowrance GM 100...Both had excellent mapping capabilties (which I DEFINETLY wanted) but essentially the unit's physical size sold me on the Garmin. It's TINY!! I wanted something I could easily stuff in a small pocket. I also considered the newer Lowrance I-finder ( but found it more or less similar but a few bucks more)

At any rate I FINALLY got a new GPS and I'm frothing at the mouth to try it out. So far I LOVE the new unit. No comparison to my old Magellan which is now being inherited by my 7 year old to carry along on cache hunts...lol

Guest cliffy

etting now? I am just a bit curious since you where asking about diff units.I am wondering what choice you made.

LOL!!!!!! like I said, She's a sucker for punishment (and stubborn)so I'm sure she'll wanna come along.

And as for the unit I ordered (and finally got this Thursday), I went for the Garmin E-trex Legend. I had narrowed down my choice to either that one OR the Lowrance GM 100...Both had excellent mapping capabilties (which I DEFINETLY wanted) but essentially the unit's physical size sold me on the Garmin. It's TINY!! I wanted something I could easily stuff in a small pocket. I also considered the newer Lowrance I-finder ( but found it more or less similar but a few bucks more)

At any rate I FINALLY got a new GPS and I'm frothing at the mouth to try it out. So far I LOVE the new unit. No comparison to my old Magellan which is now being inherited by my 7 year old to carry along on cache hunts...lol

Guest Johnny Cache

I agree that they should divide the Canada list by province now.

I was thinking about different types of subdivision as well. Would things such as "highway caches" or "airport caches" be useful ideas? As auto GPS units become more prevalent, hunting for caches near highway rest-stops could be a new family travel game. The caches could contain colouring books, puzzle books, CDs and things that families could pick up and drop off as they travel down the road.

I also thought about caches near airport terminals for travellers who spend a lot of time cooling their heels between connections. If someone has a few hours to kill, has a GPS PDA plug-in or unit in their carry-on, and knows that a cache is within a 5-minute walk from the terminal, that could be an interesting diversion. Travellers often have interesting swag from conferences and sales meetings that they could swap. A problem with this idea is that airport authorities could treat a cache as a suspicious package...

Guest 300mag

Nice idea but like you say airport security wouldn't like it.And yes it is starting to be a pretty long list when you are looking for a cache.There is more than 25 caches listed for Ontario only.

Guest KenJamin

I support the idea of dividing the Canadian caches up by Province/Territory.

I almost missed the existence of a new cache in my province. The search page doesn't offer to search by Province/Territory. Clicking "See nearby caches" doesn't always help because the distances are so vast.

It seems to me that another type of division will end up having to be redone by Province/Territory in six months to one year anyway. Might as well save the extra work. :-)

Thanks

Guest cyber-hunter

I have only been geocaching for about 2 or 3 weeks now. The number of caches in Canada has gone out by at least 10 in that time maybe more. I think that by mid summer we will need to do some subdividing. My don and I found our first cache this past week and both enjoyed it very much. We will be placing one cache each of our own very soon so that will add two more.

------------------

Ken

Make it so.

I think it is safe to say it will be sometime before Canada's Geocaches get divided up by province. At 8:00 PM EDT, Canada had 111 caches, more than any other country that I noticed. BUT the US had 2,277 at 8:00 PM EDT. (I added up each state.) California alone had 363.

So, don't hold your breath for caches listed by province.

I wish they would do something. Or even if Ed Hall divided up Canada by province.

The searching capabilities on this site are extremely difficult.

There is only one cache in my area so I figured it would be nice to easily search for Ontarion ones so that I could find out all the cache's on my way down to Toronto. That way when I drive down in a few weeks I can make several stops along the way.

However the limitations of this site right now make that extremely difficult.

Guest Stompntom

Either subdivide by province or by BC, Prairies, Ontario, Southern Ontario, Quebec, MAritimes and North.

We need more caches out here on the prairies... well I am off Thrusday AM to go place the first cache in ******* (you will have to go looking to find it) Check back next week