Is it legal to place a dead animal in a geocache container?

Is it legal to place a dead animal in a geocache container? I have plans to hide a cache with a creepy theme. Maybe I could make it even creepier if the cache container contains a real stuffed tarantula. Is that legal? I don't want to break any geocaching rules, so I have to make sure it's legal before I place a dead tarantula in a cache container. Is it legal to place dead animals inside a geocache container or is that against the rules? Could my geocaching account get banned for doing so?

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 4
2 hours ago, MachoCacher2012 said:

Is it legal to place a dead animal in a geocache container? I have plans to hide a cache with a creepy theme. Maybe I could make it even creepier if the cache container contains a real stuffed tarantula. Is that legal? I don't want to break any geocaching rules, so I have to make sure it's legal before I place a dead tarantula in a cache container. Is it legal to place dead animals inside a geocache container or is that against the rules? Could my geocaching account get banned for doing so?

Just don't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Dead things will rot. Go to a joke store and find imitation spiders, etc. Some imitation spiders are VERY realistic looking. I get a good reaction from some people for a couple of my caches. And this from plastic creatures. Reported screams, needing a stick to test the creatures, some not being able to touch them. All this from plastic spiders, on the cache, swinging in the air, etc. Plus is, is that they don't rot and need replacement.

Although, something once pinched a realistic looking plastic cockroach and attached bison tube. I suspect a bird, so no longer use cockroaches.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2

One of my favourite memories is caching with my son on a multi; one stage being named "Shelob's Lair".  Having read "Lord of the Rings", I stood back and watched as he lifted some camouflage to expose a huge hairy spider.  This being Australia, his reaction was  to grab the nearest stick and beat the thing to death until it bounced up, turned over and exposed an embedded bison tube.

Yes, by all means put scary things in a cache, but not real ones, even if stuffed and mounted.

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

I'm in complete agreement with all the replies so far - there are very realistic FAKE critters if you want to spook someone, and they will hold us better than any organic material (ie, dead critters).  We've come across fake rats, spiders, mice, birds, all very realistic but not attracting other predators or scavengers.

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Found a cache called Ben under a footbridge.  From theme I suspected a fake rat (remember  Michael Jackson's song). It was so realistic I had to poke it with my hiking stick until I got it out in the open.

I wonder if it was the fake rat I found? I too had to poke it... trying to remember where I was now... 

Edit: I was in Canada! (and sadly no one has found it since my visit) https://coord.info/GC2H50H

Edited by CCFwasG

When we thought we'd have a critter series (large bison inside...), in product test I used my dove n duck decoys and picked up some plastic reptiles.

The snakes n stuff held up okay, but my dove and duck decoys had a few redtail hawks ripping them to pieces.  Two sets on different days.

Agree with the others, if hawks will continue attacking a plastic thing, it'll look realistic to us.  :)

Fake animals can easily look realistic enough to get you any "creepy" effect you like. I've seen lots of them - inside cache boxes, glued to them on the outside, or with the container inside them.

It's not uncommon here to decorate cache containers with glued-on stuff like fake critters etc.. Just don't assume too much as a cacher ;). Once I found a cache at the base of a tree, a typical "small" Lock&Lock with what appeared to be a fake toad glued to the lid. I thought "Nice 'camo'", and wanted to grab the whole cache at the "fake" toad ... I think you can guess, what happened next :wacko:.

• Upvote 1

Oh. My. God. This is far and away the funniest Subject Title I have ever seen in these forums! 👍

My first thought was 'Well, is the cache refrigerated at least?' 🤣

But seriously, if the spider is dried, clean, and odor-free it probably wouldn't be much different than sticking a plastic spider prop in your cache. I've placed a few caches, and honestly I think if you put this into your hide it will probably end up being stolen. I'd go with a replica spider myself. Best of luck with your new hide!

Edited by Lostboy1966
Typos
  • Upvote 1

I’m gonna do this one day.  “Puzzle box” in a bigger box (so it stays dry).  It’s a pretty easy puzzle, but slide that panel open and it pulls a fake spider out.  I’m sure it would be plenty creepy!  Needs extra boxes on hand, because I’m also sure it gets dropped a lot.

356D885F-DE1C-4B5D-B073-4837147786EE.jpeg

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, kunarion said:

I’m gonna do this one day.  “Puzzle box” in a bigger box (so it stays dry).  It’s a pretty easy puzzle, but slide that panel open and it pulls a fake spider out.  I’m sure it would be plenty creepy!

That looks pretty awesome. There's one of mine hidden in a dark rock cavity, where all the inquisitive cacher can see is something black with two beady little eyes looking out at them:

Lurking.jpg.51d97b6ff76fd64ecea854b9f35aff6f.jpg

Pulling it out, if they're game, reveals this, the biggest red-back spider they'll ever see and with a zipper in its belly for the logbook and pencil:

Cache.jpg.76a440b8a112b345dd59c3cb18ab45ae.jpg

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 4/16/2022 at 6:08 AM, Lostboy1966 said:

But seriously, if the spider is dried, clean, and odor-free it probably wouldn't be much different than sticking a plastic spider prop in your cache.

I'd disagree, unless the spider was properly preserved and/or rendered "uneatable" in some way. Just because I can't smell something, doesn't mean other critters can't. I've had what I thought were 100% clean plastic containers still attracting bugs and things trying to find remnants to nibble on. If I had a lovely spider to show off, I'd prefer to seal it up in epoxy resin or something similar instead. Lose that "oh, it's real" factor, but it would last a lot longer.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:08 AM, Lostboy1966 said:

...it will probably end up being stolen.

Oh wait, yup - almost guaranteed to get stolen. The ones kunarion and barefootjeff posted are good examples, and have pretty much the same effect.

• Helpful 1

Stolen?  I think it's much more likely that it would be broken to pieces.  I had a scorpion that I caught in my house, sprayed with Raid.  I put the corpse in a glass jar to show family or friends.   After a few months the legs came off the body etc.   This was a glass jar just sitting on a shelf, not being disturbed really.

In a cache that people handle, or dig through, or drop when they are surprised - I doubt it would stay intact for long.

• Helpful 1
On 4/14/2022 at 5:19 PM, MachoCacher2012 said:

I have plans to hide a cache with a creepy theme. 

Even though the cache might creep some out, when we picked up a couple gross of "real bug" keychains for smaller caches, they were a hit.

Kids actually asked the other 2/3rds if we had any with us at events.   Go figure...       

Knowing earlier, I wouldn't have wasted all that dinero on break-your-own-geodes, train whistles, and other stuff that didn't pan out.

Apparently "creepy" works.  Good luck.   :)

On 4/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Dead things will rot. Go to a joke store and find imitation spiders, etc. Some imitation spiders are VERY realistic looking. I get a good reaction from some people for a couple of my caches. And this from plastic creatures. Reported screams, needing a stick to test the creatures, some not being able to touch them. All this from plastic spiders, on the cache, swinging in the air, etc. Plus is, is that they don't rot and need replacement.

Although, something once pinched a realistic looking plastic cockroach and attached bison tube. I suspect a bird, so no longer use cockroaches.

+1.   I have seen plastic insects secured to the top and bottom of a hinged container on elastic string in such a way that the spider "jumps out" at the finder when opening the container. 

• Upvote 1

The picture is of two of my caches before I put them out north of Gilchrist Oregon. The top one has a 16 oz. container calked into the back and is placed in a pine tree about 4 feet off the ground. It is called "Limping Hitchhiker" I put it out for halloween.

The other one I named "Ankle Monitor" with the container hooked to the ankle with zip ties. So far no one has stolen them.

DSCN1685.JPG