Cache Pages Have No Logs, No Small Map, On Win 11

kunarion

I'm setting up a new Windows 11 PC.  On Geocaching.com web pages, there are no logs displayed, and if I click "View All Logs" there are "no logs found" (despite the log icon count showing a number).  That is, if I click the "View all logs" link above where I expected to see the logs, the page states that there are no logs.

And there's no small map on the cache page, although "View Larger Map" works.  I've seen reports of maps not showing on Mac computers, but I haven't seen this kind of thing before on any device.

The issues all happen the same way in Edge, Chrome, and Brave web browsers.  I dropped all shields in Brave.

I checked caches on my Droid tablet (on my wifi), and the pages are fine.  I don't have another PC hooked up at the moment to test them.

Screenshot 2022-04-14 144629 (Copy).jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Nevermind, it cleared up in all 3 browsers.  It hadn't worked for over a half hour.  It was very consistent in not working until now.  And now a re-load in all of them caused the important stuff to appear.  So, some piece of web code was slowly loading, and has now loaded.  I guess?

Seems OK for now.

Edited by kunarion

Same thing has happened to me - except it has not corrected itself.  Cannot decrypt hint, no small map, show I have found the cache, and indicated 3 logs, but no logs show up.  Been this way since  getting new computer running Windows 11.  Any ideas

6 hours ago, Be-con said:

Same thing has happened to me - except it has not corrected itself.  Cannot decrypt hint, no small map, show I have found the cache, and indicated 3 logs, but no logs show up.  Been this way since  getting new computer running Windows 11.  Any ideas

Wild guess, there’s a component that needs to load into the new browsers, and it is slow to load (or stalls) for some reason.  Either that, or something on the server needs time to recognize the browsers.  Or could it be a web security thing…?

Try refresh, and closing/opening browsers, which is pretty much all I did to fix it.  I saw the issue in Brave and Edge, then to be sure, I installed Chrome.  And a half hour later, the issue remained.  So I posted the details, and then all 3 browsers started waking up.   As if it would have started working regardless.  Now all my browsers are fine.  Weird.

Which web browser(s) are affected for you?  How long have you had them running?

Are there similar display anomalies on other web sites you visit?  Mine cleared up before I ventured to other sites.

I might try uninstalling/reinstalling a browser or two, just to see what happens.

Edited by kunarion

Spring is here!  In the northern hemisphere, everyone wants to go outside, do something, find some caches finally after a long winter. Servers are overloaded. 

If only this could be predicted somehow... 

I called up the Search Map today.  Got up, walked around the house, refilled the coffee, looked out the window, went back to the computer.  Still loading...  Ah!  It arrived.  (Bad example maybe, picking on that map, but the site in general is... sluggish.) 

• Helpful 1
44 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Spring is here!  In the northern hemisphere, everyone wants to go outside, do something, find some caches finally after a long winter. Servers are overloaded. 

If only this could be predicted somehow... 

I called up the Search Map today.  Got up, walked around the house, refilled the coffee, looked out the window, went back to the computer.  Still loading...  Ah!  It arrived.  (Bad example maybe, picking on that map, but the site in general is... sluggish.) 

Yes, I may have happened to have the OP's issue during the 45 minutes that I first loaded Geocaching.com on Brave and Edge (and Chrome), while setting up Win 11, and attributed the errors to issues with Win 11 software.  I admit it may have simply been bad luck.

But then how did it only happen once and never before or since?  ...Even when there's a post by someone who later developed the same thing?  When the site was slow, it was slow all over, not just for logs, maps and hints (OK, those 3 seem to be the last to load on a cache page).  There's still something strange about all this.

Edited by kunarion
23 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Dunno.  From observed behaviour, I have a sneaking suspicion all the web-facing servers aren't configured identically. You never know which server you're gonna get, and it shouldn't matter if the config management is tight. 

Your theory that Spring is here has merit.  Eventually the site will get better, and the problems lessen. 

As to why it affects a new Win 11 PC, one important thing is, Windows is gonna start to load huge blocks of "Updates" silently and automatically and drag down everything one tries to do online.  And my connection was slooow on my old PC for the past couple months and then my new one.  And there was recently a major outage and issue with transmission cables in my neighborhood (Internet was down for 3 days a couple weeks ago while large cables were replaced on telephone lines).  Lots of factors.

Yesterday I downloaded Photoshop Elements and it took 3 hours.  Last night I downloaded Premiere Elements and it took 20 minutes.  An unscientific test, sure.  But now cache pages are loading in 10 seconds when they were taking 5 minutes or more.  It's still noticeable, so I'm sure my connection needs work.  But an additional complication is, ATT emailed me last week to say my "account has changed" and I have not been able to tell what it was changed to.  Maybe, faster?  Slower?  What was the expected data rate before and after the change?  Looks like mine is "3 Mbps", the slowest they offer.  But that was probably what I've had all along.  I don't want to "upgrade" to a speed that I'm already paying for.

Lots of factors.

Edited by kunarion

My Internet download speed slowed to 0.50Mbps this morning.  At that speed, cache pages load everything except hints, map inset, and the logs, which arrive later or it seems, not at all.  Now my connection speed is the typical 3.7Mbps for a basic connection, and the cache pages are fine.

Other factors are at work when the downloads stall.  For example, devices on the same connection using the bandwidth.  When Map/Log/Hint vanishesI can't guarantee that it's a slow Internet issue in every case.  But it seems like that's what is going on when I encounter it.

I left the browser (Chrome) running for several hours, restarted it a few times and no luck. Today it started the same, but then started working - so who knows what is going on, but never had this problem before using Windows 11?  Time to get off the computer with - it's frustrations - and get out on the trail.

• Helpful 1