Why has Geocaching Slowed down

boreal jeff & sons

I guess people are too busy doing other things to even post a reply to your question. With the weather being warmer for us "Northern" folks, we have to get out and do the yard work and other activities we did before geocaching entered our lives. The summer is just too short and there are not enough hours in the day, etc. Hopefully, things will pick up as the summer wears on. Did the same thing happen last year, or is the novelty wearing off?

quote:
Originally posted by Galago:

Did the same thing happen last year, or is the novelty wearing off?

I can't say for sure if the same thing happenned last year. There was no active cachers in my area last spring.

I should of put a selection for poor weather. Our weather this spring has been cool and wet.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

I mean this is 5 weekends out of 6 that the Wx has crapped out. If I'm not on my boat or doing yardwork in the nice weather, then I'm Geocaching. I've only been on my boat once this year yet my last hunt was probably close to a month ago. So, I guess I just have better things to do or am losing interest.

Seriously, my enthusiasm for the sport has almost disappeared. I've noticed this as it has happened and even felt bad about it. I was looking forward to taking a lot of time and effort this summer placing marine caches and caches further north. The response to my quilt cache in St. Catherine’s ( my first cache ) is quite possibly the only thing that has kept me interested this far. I was surprised to see how quickly the squares were taken and how much most appreciated where it was placed. Ironically. the only reason it was placed there was because I was having a real bad day and I needed to stop and relax. The detours and traffic jams took me to that location.

I've just noticed so many changes to Geocaching since I started. I don't think it was 6 months ago I heard about this site and if I recall, there were less than 3000 members. What are we at now, 11,000 plus? Everyone is welcome to the sport, and I do not hold any type of aristocracy towards newbies. But it seems you can barely venture out your front door now without stepping on a cache. This has certainly removed much of the novelty for me.

By far the most disappointing turn that has occurred since I became involved has been the forums themselves. Reading the daily posts and contributing to the boards was as enjoying for me as the hunt itself. It's now a full time job just to sort through the interesting ones worth reading and avoiding the posts that are a repeat of a topic covered a week ago and each week preceding that simply because few will bother to do a search. There used to be a level of, call it maturity, that separated Geocaching from other forums and NGs. Many, including myself, used to post that they observed the same thing. Sadly this is no longer the case. Now, there are more whining about virtual caches and avatar bandwidth or flame wars over GPSrs brands and redundant posts than there is anything else. There's little difference now between Geocaching than any other aspect of the net.

I think May 22 was the last time I logged in here or checked for new caches. I just can't be bothered sorting through the gripes or lame caches placed by people who have never even been on a hunt or even own a GPSr. I have been meaning for a long time to add to the thread about a desire to see a Canadian website. Fortunately, the density of caches in Canada is no where near as thick as in the U.S. and because there are so fewer Canuck Geocachers, it's still nice to log in and read the posts from home without having to make an entire day out of it.

As much as I wanted to many months ago, I haven't supported Groundspeak with a member donation. I have no desire to do so any longer. I would gladly do this for a Cdn. website however, even if it were attached in some way to Groundspeak. I would actually prefer to see it as a member’s only website, just to filter out those who are not serious or familiar with Geocaching and to keep the growth of caches less than exponential.

The Geoquilt project is really the only hot item left for me in Geocaching. I still can’t praise Dx enough for all the work that she has done that certainly must be involved. I can’t wait to see ( and own – Ha Ha) the finished product. Once that project has ended though, I cannot say if I’ll still be around. Hope my enthusiasm gets revived, because it sure was fun while it lasted.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I for one have certainly slowed down over the last couple of weeks. The lousy weather here in Ontario combined with the fact that I've recently switched positions at Canada Post have really cramped my style. (Getting up at 3:30am really hurts..lol) But that aside, there certainly seem to be quite a few new caches popping up around here.......Just as soon as the dust settles at work and the sun shines I'll be back at it with a vengeance icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

I for one have certainly slowed down over the last couple of weeks. The lousy weather here in Ontario combined with the fact that I've recently switched positions at Canada Post have really cramped my style. (Getting up at 3:30am really hurts..lol) But that aside, there certainly seem to be quite a few new caches popping up around here.......Just as soon as the dust settles at work and the sun shines I'll be back at it with a vengeance icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

This was our first weekend geocaching.

Managed to locate 2 in the Edmonton area. The 2nd one we went to had 3 logged finds yesterday. So lots of activity out here.

Weather out here has been great (hot) for the last week. Weather changing since last night -- maybe much needed rain.

My vote is that it's a busy time of the year. End of school, activities, weddings, etc.

Slowed down? I'm speeding up! What's a little rain! As for cliffy, apparently he's now getting up at 3:30, one hour earlier than last reported! Losing that cache-mobile must really be cramping his style, since he won't be able to cache (or sleep in the back) during working hours...LOL!!!

(Only about 32 years to retirement cliffy...hehehe!)

Cheers,

binthair

I fing myself a little out of touch with geocaching latley... I don't know if it is the weather or just me being a little bored with it???

I have been thinking about cache hunting alot in the past two weeks,, so who knows maybe I will pick it back up soon... It is still a great way to see the outdoors! Just a little bored with the caches in my area I guess??

Happy caching !

Sliver&Lucy-Logo-a1b.JPG

I fing myself a little out of touch with geocaching latley... I don't know if it is the weather or just me being a little bored with it??? icon_frown.gif

I have been thinking about cache hunting alot in the past two weeks,, so who knows maybe I will pick it back up soon... icon_wink.gif It is still a great way to see the outdoors! Just a little bored with the caches in my area I guess??

Happy caching ! icon_biggrin.gif

Sliver&Lucy-Logo-a1b.JPG

I fing myself a little out of touch with geocaching latley... I don't know if it is the weather or just me being a little bored with it??? icon_frown.gif

I have been thinking about cache hunting alot in the past two weeks,, so who knows maybe I will pick it back up soon... icon_wink.gif It is still a great way to see the outdoors! Just a little bored with the caches in my area I guess??

Happy caching ! icon_biggrin.gif

Sliver&Lucy-Logo-a1b.JPG