First "no find" and I'm down.....

boreal jeff & sons

Up until a couple of weekends ago, I have found every cache I went after. Several of the caches even had "no find" logs.

Well that all changed two weekends ago and its been bugging me. I went looking for a cache but even though my GPS said we were right at the spot and I had the Cache page with me, I couldn't find the cache. Others had found it before me and someone has found it after my attempt.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7303

The cache is on a rocky knoll of a hill. I know this type of rocky terrain can cause a GPS to read eratically and the GPS was giving eratic readings. First it said 1 meter distance from cache then it would jump to 9 meters, then to 6, etc. So I knew the cache was not right at my feet but assumed it should be in a 10 to 15 meter radius. It was not.

How much can the signals, bouncing off of the rock, throw the readings out by? Why was my GPS effected and others apparently not? I had a similar thing happen while trying to navigate to a cave in a rocky hill. Is there some way to compensate for this?

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I too tend to get funny readings under certain conditions be it a rock face, heavy coniferous forests (Especially in the rain) or in ravines. Whenever I've encountered this situation I've always backed up into a clearer view of of the sky, obtained a bearing to the cache then pulled out my compass and shot a sightline......A few times this has led me to a find where I'd otherwise of failed. Now I generally use the compass regardless on the last 20-30m to a cache as walking slowly always seems to induce the dreaded here/there/everywhere pointer syndrome. lol

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

quote:
Originally posted by cliffy:

.... Whenever I've encountered this situation I've always backed up into a clearer view of of the sky, obtained a bearing to the cache then pulled out my compass and shot a sightline......A few times this has led me to a find where I'd otherwise of failed. Now I generally use the compass regardless on the last 20-30m to a cache as walking slowly always seems to induce the dreaded here/there/everywhere pointer syndrome. lol

Cliffy's got it. His method should be automatic on all cache hunts. I personally start looking for a clear spot at the 50 metre point, get a compass sight-line, walk 30-50 metres beyond suspected cache site and repeat. Then I put the GPSR away and let the "force" take over. Failing that I pull out my Palm PDA and read the hint.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Hey, Now some cachers use "GPS" fritzing to make the cache more difficult....

Not that we would...but did place a cache on the side of a hill...many cachers have reported "abnormal readings" and then when they find it they all seem to smile (all be it a few have had mud in their teeth while they smiled)

So yeah a compass is a great backup and response to devious cachers....

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

quote:
Originally posted by cliffy:

Whenever I've encountered this situation I've always backed up into a clearer view of of the sky, obtained a bearing to the cache then pulled out my compass and shot a sightline......

I find that to be the hard way. I just use my 'Spidey Sense'.

spiderman.gif

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif