My 'where is my name' coordinate is (almost) the same as two great lines of earth!

On 5/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

No worries - the earth isn’t going anywhere :) 

Again Perky, not quite accurate...

It's actually "going" at quite a clip as it speeds around our galaxy. It zips around the sun at no less than 67,000 mph (107,000 km/h), while it, along with the rest of our solar system, careens around the Milky way at about 448,000 mph (720,000 km/h). Fortunately, our planet has the good sense to take us along with it, resulting in our collective perception that "the earth isn’t going anywhere". We won't get into the speed/velocity of the Milky Way, as that can be viewed as more or less a relative velocity (relative to what?), and we no longer have a fixed reference point from/to/about which we travel.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

It's actually "going" at quite a clip as it speeds around our galaxy. It zips around the sun at no less than 67,000 mph (107,000 km/h), while it, along with the rest of our solar system, careens around the Milky way at about 448,000 mph (720,000 km/h). Fortunately, our planet has the good sense to take us along with it, resulting in our collective perception that "the earth isn’t going anywhere". We won't get into the speed/velocity of the Milky Way, as that can be viewed as more or less a relative velocity (relative to what?), and we no longer have a fixed reference point from/to/about which we travel.

Compared in an astronomical sense you are right - using an absolute position Earth is moving pretty fast through space. Against the background radiation (Cosmic Microwave Background) generated by the Big Bang, the Milky Way is also moving at a speed that is around 2.1 million kilometers per hour - that would put us at a speed of nearly 500km per second. I hope nobody uses the breaks to force a sudden stop ...

But in a relative sense we are all moving veeeeery slow on earth and stay nearly on the same spot - and that was probably meant with it :).

• Helpful 1
On 5/31/2022 at 8:53 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

Compared in an astronomical sense you are right - using an absolute position Earth is moving pretty fast through space. Against the background radiation (Cosmic Microwave Background) generated by the Big Bang, the Milky Way is also moving at a speed that is around 2.1 million kilometers per hour - that would put us at a speed of nearly 500km per second. I hope nobody uses the breaks to force a sudden stop ...

But in a relative sense we are all moving veeeeery slow on earth and stay nearly on the same spot - and that was probably meant with it :).

Well done, Erik! :D How did I know it would be you who would correct me before I got back here to correct myself?

After I wrote that (can be viewed as more or less a relative velocity (relative to what?), and we no longer have a fixed reference point from/to/about which we travel I realized it was wrong, but didn't know at the time just what our velocity within the Cosmic Background Radiation (CBR) was, so I went to find out then got distracted. Thanks for bringing me back here!

It is the CBR which affords a frame of reference by which one, anywhere in the universe, can calculate their own velocity through the universe. Note that that must be done indirectly, by first subtracting, in Earthlings' case, our velocity as the earth rotates, orbits the sun and travels around the Milky Way Galaxy.

Here's a good article on the subject, for those who need to brush up on their cosmology.

(For the Americans, our speed through the CBR is about 1.3 million miles per hour.)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Finally I had day to spend with coordinate hunting. Today I headed into highway between Turku and Helsinki to find Suomusjärvi named town of Finland. There was old 110-road I used to drive when highway was not completed. Old saw mill of Vehanen was my first stop. My father bought some 30+ years ago their sauna cabin from that company. I was suprised they still have same model on production. Left my car into saw mill yard and phoned it is ok to park there. No problem. There was small hike on side of 110-road to get CAVinoGal coords. Thanks, big thanks to ScroogieII that I had working app on my phone! It chased perfectly all GPS-satellites and gave me very accurate position data. It was a bit risky place to stand, but I had my well visible gear with me, so none of trucks passing-by didn't hit me.

CAVinoGal had coordinates 23° 24.664.

But those converted as 23° 25.064, cause I simply was not able to have 664 with my app. And wow, there was even one geocache quite near! GC5AY8A Opposite side of the road.

Next goal was a bit further. Near city of Lohja. The area was unknown for me, but I had done some search with google streetview. So the target was quite easy, there will be safe pedestrian lane to walk. Drove too fast and almost passed right place, had to stop into yard of abanned old factory kind of building. Police patrol car came to check me, but when I just rose up from my car, they left. Once again, my gear was so professional looking. :) Selfie-stick and phone.

After some walk, reached destination easily. Now I nailed perfectly: 

Benchmark Blasterz 24° 02.462.

Scared one cat pretty well when I returned back to the car. Really sorry. This was a nice day. About 240 km driving. Mostly sunny weather. Few geocaches to score.

2402462selfie.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 6/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, Smurffaaja said:

CAVinoGal had coordinates 23° 24.664.

And Smurffaaja came through with photos for me!  Thanks!

On 6/14/2022 at 4:55 AM, Smurffaaja said:

Well, atleast I know where to drive & park next time. Location is pretty near of that geocache. Some lumber yard.

Screenshot_20220614-145026.jpg

Waymark has been submitted for review...