My 'where is my name' coordinate is (almost) the same as two great lines of earth!

I was researching for a second 'where is my name' waymark in Australia and found out that it's very close to the tropic of capricorn and thus also the tropic of cancer! The coordinates I'm looking for is 23 25.872 and the tropic of capricorn (or cancer) is 23 26.610. It should be about 1km from the tropics to my coordinates..  is anyone able or planning to visit the tropics soon and willing to cooperate with me on making a new 'where is my name' waymark?

Edited by Becktracker
On 4/13/2022 at 11:42 PM, Becktracker said:

I was researching for a second 'where is my name' waymark in Australia and found out that it's very close to the tropic of capricorn and thus also the tropic of cancer! The coordinates I'm looking for is 23 25.872 and the tropic of capricorn (or cancer) is 23 26.610. It should be about 1km from the tropics to my coordinates..  is anyone able or planning to visit the tropics soon and willing to cooperate with me on making a new 'where is my name' waymark?

Show off. :anitongue: ha ha j/k

IIRC, we were unable to make a waymark with our name, so we visited someone else's Where's In a Name waymark in Oklahoma. :) It's been 10 years since we went there - time flies!

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
add info
21 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Show off. :anitongue: ha ha j/k

IIRC, we were unable to make a waymark with our name, so we visited someone else's Where's In a Name waymark in Oklahoma. :) It's been 10 years since we went there - time flies!

I had trouble finding someone in Florida but I think that's your best option. 

59 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I had trouble finding someone in Florida but I think that's your best option. 

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I got Benchmark Blasterz = 236346275  25278379

From those numbers I got 2 variations:

(1) 23* 6.346 and 25* 27.837

and

(2) 23* 63.462 = 24* 03.462 & 25* 27.837

Flipping between N and S for Latitude and E and W for Longitude, I got for (1):

Egyptian desert

Ocean

Botswana 

Ocean

and for (2)

Egyptian desert

Ocean

Botswana

Ocean

I may flip it around for Blasterz Benchmark and see if I get better results. Hope that's legal!  [fingers crossed]

1 hour ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I got Benchmark Blasterz = 236346275  25278379

From those numbers I got 2 variations:

(1) 23* 6.346 and 25* 27.837

and

(2) 23* 63.462 = 24* 03.462 & 25* 27.837

Flipping between N and S for Latitude and E and W for Longitude, I got for (1):

Egyptian desert

Ocean

Botswana 

Ocean

and for (2)

Egyptian desert

Ocean

Botswana

Ocean

I may flip it around for Blasterz Benchmark and see if I get better results. Hope that's legal!  [fingers crossed]

No, it's 23624627

Am I wrong? Tell me if so! I always tell the person I'm working with to please double check for me.

The 62 becomes an 02 and a 23 becomes 24.

So the converted coordinates are:

24° 02.462

You cannot have 60 or more minutes. If your converted name has 60 or more minutes you subtract 60 from the minutes and add one to the degrees. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
On 4/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Max and 99 said:

No, it's 23624627

Am I wrong? Tell me if so! I always tell the person I'm working with to please double check for me.

The 62 becomes an 02 and a 23 becomes 24.

So the converted coordinates are:

24° 02.462

You cannot have 60 or more minutes. If your converted name has 60 or more minutes you subtract 60 from the minutes and add one to the degrees. 

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Make sure the GPS and converted name are using the correct format. We have recently clarified this in the description.

20 hours ago, Becktracker said:

That is very close to my coordinates indeed, benchmark blasterz! Maybe you could contact a finnish waymarker, that's how i scored my first where is my name waymark

All this is intriguing -- I'll definitely be looking into this after all the Easter hullabaloo ends here this afternoon/evening!  Thanks y'all- and stay tuned . . . 

Well ... if I converted my name "FAMILIEFROHNE" right this would be 3264543376463 => 32° 64.543  37° 64.630 => 33° 04.543 38° 04.630

If I take the full coordinate for north and east I would have a hit in a desert near the Syria / Jordan border. The other three possibilites for the full coordinate pair are in the water.

So the best bet would be to stick to the first part of the coordinate (N 33° 04.543) because this one would cross the United States in a line touching South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Does anyone live near that line and would do me the favor of taking a picture for the "Where's in a name?" waymark?

By the way: Happy Easter to everyone.

Edited by FamilieFrohne

22 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Well ... if I converted my name "FAMILIEFROHNE" right this would be 3264543376463 => 32° 64.543  37° 64.630 => 33° 04.543 38° 04.630

If I take the full coordinate for north and east I would have a hit in a desert near the Syria / Jordan border. The other three possibilites for the full coordinate pair are in the water.

So the best bet would be to stick to the first part of the coordinate (N 33° 04.543) because this one would cross the United States in a line touching South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Does anyone live near that line and would do me the favor of taking a picture for the "Where's in a name?" waymark?

By the way: Happy Easter to everyone.

We'll give it a shot -- N 33* 04 543 I think that's between FW and Denton TX, and we are in Garland, so only 1 county over. According to Google Earth, that coord is on the SB I-35  shoulder. If GE is off, I hope it's off to the west because if it's not, that coord is in the highway lanes. 

info

I tried my name also, but I don't think I have a chance.

PISA-caching -> 74 72 222 44 64 -> 75 12 222 45 04 -> N/S75° 12.222 E/W45° 04.xxx

Both N75 and S75 are much too close to the poles. So, I would have to find a helpful icebear or penguin for this, no? Or is there another solution?

Edited by PISA-caching
5 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I tried my name also, but I don't think I have a chance.

PISA-caching -> 74 72 222 44 64 -> 75 12 222 45 04 -> N/S75° 12.222 E/W45° 04.xxx

Both N75 and S75 are much too close to the poles. So, I would have to find a helpful icebear or penguin for this, no? Or is there another solution?

West 75 should give you plenty of options!

What I don't understand: The category description tells us, what we have to do, if the username is 5 letters or shorter, but not exactly what to do, if it is longer (or maybe I just don't see/understand it). So, I could use N45° 04.xxx W75° 12.222 (hing & PISA-cac [?]) or just W75° 12.222 and no matter where the N-coordinates are. But then it wouldn't be my full name, but just "PISA-cac". I don't understand it.

PS: N 39 57.220 W 075 12.222 would be in Philadelphia. And N 45 04.999 W 075 12.222 is 52 km southeast of Ottawa.

PPS: The category says: "Convert your entire Geocaching handle". That's what confuses me. Do I have to use the "hing" at the end of my name or not?

Edited by PISA-caching
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

PPS: The category says: "Convert your entire Geocaching handle". That's what confuses me. Do I have to use the "hing" at the end of my name or not?

No, because your name is long enough to fill all the coordinate digits. What the category does not want you to do is stop after Pisa and then just make up your own numbers after that. 

• Helpful 1

Thanks a lot.  Right now, I busy preparing for a trip to Greece, but one day I will look for someone in Philadelphia or (even better) in Ottawa.
Somehow, I would prefer W 75° 12.222 N 45° 04.xxx, because that represents my entire username. :)

BTW: I used https://miniwebtool.com/word-to-phone-number-converter/ to convert my name to numbers. Might be helpful for others, if the category description would contain a link to that converter or something similar.

Edited by PISA-caching
18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What I don't understand: The category description tells us, what we have to do, if the username is 5 letters or shorter, but not exactly what to do, if it is longer (or maybe I just don't see/understand it).

16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:
18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

No, because your name is long enough to fill all the coordinate digits. What the category does not want you to do is stop after Pisa and then just make up your own numbers after that. 

OK. this confused me as well.  So, I just use enough of my name to fill the digits, and converting the 6+ digits to degree and decimal as needed, giving me:

23° 24.664

I can use that for N/S or E/W which gives me a lot of possibilities.  Besides those following this forum and seeing those coordinates, how do I find a partner??

On a side note, hubby's name converts to 73° 28.537 and it turns out I had found a cache a couple years ago very near there - GC39N2J with a W of 73° 28.208!!!

On 4/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, Becktracker said:

That is very close to my coordinates indeed, benchmark blasterz! Maybe you could contact a finnish waymarker, that's how i scored my first where is my name waymark

Anyone (Perky) need a Finnish Waymarker/Geocacher, give me a shout. I happen to know one!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
On 4/20/2022 at 1:19 AM, PISA-caching said:

Thanks a lot.  Right now, I busy preparing for a trip to Greece, but one day I will look for someone in Philadelphia or (even better) in Ottawa.
Somehow, I would prefer W 75° 12.222 N 45° 04.xxx, because that represents my entire username. :)

BTW: I used https://miniwebtool.com/word-to-phone-number-converter/ to convert my name to numbers. Might be helpful for others, if the category description would contain a link to that converter or something similar.

This is an awesome tool - would be great of the category owner/officers added it to the description :)

Took 2 seconds :)

11 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I sent 5 photos in 2 messages through the geocaching message site. Please check that you got those :) - if the files are too large drop your waymark into uncategorized waymarks and I can grab it and upload the photos, then put it back for you.

I really like vulture's suggestion for this category:

He takes the photos and creates the waymark. When he's done adding the information, the person whose name is at the coordinates then categorizes the waymark and submits it. I think this is a great way to do it. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/22/2022 at 6:19 PM, ScroogieII said:

Anyone (Perky) need a Finnish Waymarker/Geocacher, give me a shout. I happen to know one!

Keith

Keith - Ping! 

I need a Finnish waymarker/cacher. :) My required E longitude lines:

24* 02.462 crosses the E4 south of Haparanda (I think).

25* 27.887 is in the town of Sinetta near the K-Mart

Coordinates are: 

Benchmark = 23.6246275 = 24* 02.462 <--                          

Blasterz = 25.278379 = 25* 27.837

19 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I really like vulture's suggestion for this category:

He takes the photos and creates the waymark. When he's done adding the information, the person whose name is at the coordinates then categorizes the waymark and submits it. I think this is a great way to do it. 

TOTALLY AGREE - I'll do it now.

The idea is great, but just to get it right:

Benchmark Blasterz creates the waymark, puts the pictures and some text in and saves this unassigned waymark, then I'll assign the category and send it to publish.

Or is it working the other way round - I create the waymark and Benchmark Blasterz send it to publish?

I'm a little bit confused ...

Erik.

6 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

The idea is great, but just to get it right:

Benchmark Blasterz creates the waymark, puts the pictures and some text in and saves this unassigned waymark, then I'll assign the category and send it to publish.

Or is it working the other way round - I create the waymark and Benchmark Blasterz send it to publish?

I'm a little bit confused ...

Erik.

You can only get a where's in a name waymark published for your own name. You are the only person who could categorize that waymark.

4 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

We were at the eastern coordinate at the Kukkulaforsen Conference center (nice description for a campsite with a small hotel nearby) nearly 15km north of Haparanda (Sweden) in 2014 ...

Your coordinate at this place would be where the arrow points to in the image - N65° 57.783 E024° 02.462:Kukulaforsen.jpg.17f4f871112bde8ac8bab7188e83bf2f.jpg

Unfortunatly we have no picture with the coordinate ...

7 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Keith - Ping! 

25* 27.887 is in the town of Sinetta near the K-Mart

Coordinates are: 

Unfortunately my guy (my 5th and 6th cousin actually) is in Turku, about 176 km (110 mi) straight west. 

The way he complains about his high taxes you'd probably have to pay him to get him to motor that far. (That was a joke, Kai! :D)

OHHH Hang On. I used the Blasterz coord - 25.278379. Using the Benchmark coord, 23.6246275, it's only 75 km (47 mi) to Turku.

He might be willing to go those "Extra Miles" for you. I'll ask him and see what he sez. Who knows, he might be planning a jaunt in that direction as we speak?

Tell you what - I'll direct him to this thread and you may be able to ask him yourself.

The nearest likely and easily accessible spot is at 60.380618, 23.6246275, on a westbound exit ramp on E18.

Keith

Edit: I just wrote him, but I imagine he'll be sawing logs for a few hours yet.

A-Map.jpg.5ac05887e11388c3d4104f6746682d8f.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

We were at the eastern coordinate at the Kukkulaforsen Conference center (nice description for a campsite with a small hotel nearby) nearly 15km north of Haparanda (Sweden) in 2014 ...

Your coordinate at this place would be where the arrow points to in the image - N65° 57.783 E024° 02.462:Kukulaforsen.jpg.17f4f871112bde8ac8bab7188e83bf2f.jpg

Unfortunatly we have no picture with the coordinate ...

soooo close and yet so far!! Looks pretty and also pretty muddy!!! That would be a hoot if your Where’s-In-a-Name coordinate was near me, and my coordinate was near you!! 😂

8 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

OHHH Hang On. I used the Blasterz coord - 25.278379. Using the Benchmark coord, 23.6246275, it's only 75 km (47 mi) to Turku.

Uh ... I think there went something wrong with your interpretation:

15 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

The first numbers are the transcription, and not the degrees:

23.6246275 -> 23° 62.462" -> 24° 02.462

So the coordinate would be west of Helsinki or a little bit east of Tampere - see image

temp.jpg.6b79ce2e5002b24cf82c5c8a627fb657.jpg

• Helpful 1
On 5/11/2022 at 11:31 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

Yup! I was just having that realization myself so I decided to actually look at the requirements, only to find that the conversion MUST BE in the Degrees & Minutes format. Time to dispense with all mention of Decimal Degrees, as it only sends old farts like myself off on the wrong track. :wacko:

So, beginning with 24° 02.462, we find that 60°23'19.5"N 24°02'27.7"E, which equals 60° 23.325'N 24° 02.462'E, puts us at the side of Highway 110, but now we're more like 98 km (61 mi) east of Turku.

Staying on E18 doesn't work, as the coords just happen to put us in a tunnel running through a pesky hill which got in the way of the highway.

That's a pretty loooooooong tunnel - 2.26 km (1.40 mi).

Those Finns seem to be over achievers, if nothing else. That hill is nothing compared to what we have to deal with here. We would have just had the highway climb that piddling little hill, saving the cost of the 2.25 mile tunnel. :D

Edited by ScroogieII
On 5/12/2022 at 1:31 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

Uh ... I think there went something wrong with your interpretation:

So the coordinate would be west of Helsinki or a little bit east of Tampere - see image

temp.jpg.6b79ce2e5002b24cf82c5c8a627fb657.jpg

I’m shocked - SHOCKED I TELL YOU! that this word chick screwed up the math 

😂🤣😂

thanks for catching that guys 💕

1 hour ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I’m shocked - SHOCKED I TELL YOU! that this word chick screwed up the math 

😂🤣😂

thanks for catching that guys 💕

Ackchelly, I don't think the math was screwed up so much as I initially wasn't aware that Decimal Degrees were irrelevant here and that was what I first used. All's well, now.