Would this be an acceptable task

Gill & Tony

There is a series of signs along a footpath - the Time Walk - which takes people through the geological history of the area.  I would like to fence the first sign and then say something like "On one of the signs along this path is information regarding Wandrawandian Siltstone.  What is the date on that sign?"  In other words, I want them to explore the walk rather than just grab the answer from one target sign.

The walk would just be one stage in the tour.  I don't want to make the walk the entire adventure.

Edited by Gill & Tony
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I would like to fence the first sign and then say something like "On one of the signs along this path is information regarding Wandrawandian Siltstone.  What is the date on that sign?"  In other words, I want them to explore the walk rather than just grab the answer from one target sign.

The walk would just be one stage in the tour.  I don't want to make the walk the entire adventure.

How long is the walk along the footpath?  To me, your idea would work if the path wasn't overly long - I'd be willing to walk along the path exploring the signs (as you intend).  If the walk was a mile long, I might think twice...up to a half mile or so I'd say it's probably ok.  When I get the geofence buzz on an Adventure Lab, I assume I'm pretty close to the spot I need to be to find the answer to the question.

9 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

There is a series of signs along a footpath - the Time Walk - which takes people through the geological history of the area.  I would like to fence the first sign and then say something like "On one of the signs along this path is information regarding Wandrawandian Siltstone.  What is the date on that sign?"  In other words, I want them to explore the walk rather than just grab the answer from one target sign.

I would expect the answer/target to be close to the coordinates. I think your instructions are good, telling me where to look. I  wouldn't expect the answer to be more than 100 feet from the coordinates for that one location. Just my opinion.

The path is 255m long, and covers 2,000,000 years of geologic history per metre.  That is less than 1/4 mile and I won't be taking them all the way to the end.  I also have an earthcache at one of the stages, so many will be walking there anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely go that route.

22 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

The path is 255m long, and covers 2,000,000 years of geologic history per metre.  That is less than 1/4 mile and I won't be taking them all the way to the end.  I also have an earthcache at one of the stages, so many will be walking there by anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely go that route.

I think that sounds like a fun location for an adventure lab!

2 million years per meter is impressive! 

Edited by Max and 99
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I think that sounds like a fun location for an adventure lab!

2 million years per meter is impressive! 

It was designed so that one child-sized step covered 1,000,000 years.  

Incidentally, it was conceived by Phil Smart who was the CO for the first earthcache in the world, just a few kilometres down the highway from here.

19 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

The path is 255m long, and covers 2,000,000 years of geologic history per metre.  That is less than 1/4 mile and I won't be taking them all the way to the end.  I also have an earthcache at one of the stages, so many will be walking there anyway.

Yes, that sounds entirely doable - I'd love to visit as well.  Who knows when or if that will ever happen, though.