Sad when there are creeps around like this.

Last night they called themselves something else, a lot ruder.  Something to do with a 'boner'.

Meet the locals Event Cache GC9Q6KJ

"I am going to make sure its the worst event ever im going around taking every single geo cache in the area and throwing them away"

I clicked on their cache 'finds'.

"i stole it and put it in the bin f*** ur cache😖"

i took it home! pretty hard find but overall fun for my first time geocaching!

stole the f***ing s***ty thing i hate thid s***ty geocaching ... its in the bin now! woops spoiler alert!

i stole the f***ing s***ty geocache lol

i stole it and i took it away now lol!

I'm surprised that none of the COs have checked yet and commented. Horrible!

(I have reported this to HQ.)

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Surprised 3

I see that Geocaching HQ has locked this account.  I love it when an inappropriate username is changed by HQ to something yummy.

Excuse me while I go heat up a bagel.

People do things like this in order to attract attention and to get a rise out of people.  The less reaction there is, the faster they get bored and move on to trying to ruin something else.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 3
8 hours ago, Keystone said:

People do things like this in order to attract attention and to get a rise out of people.  The less reaction there is, the faster they get bored and move on to trying to ruin something else.

6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

However, if one of those was my cache, I would have checked and made an OM log.

Probably best to just report them, silently delete their log and replace the cache..... and make it premium.....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Now looking how widespread the claimed caches are, I'm wondering if this is just an armchair 'nutter', and they haven't visited any of those caches.

That guy would have been driving all day to hunt just those few caches.  Not an efficient plan for "going around taking every single geo cache in the area".

But in my area, muggles do the exact same thing without all the fanfare.  Maybe not on that scale.  Just a cache or two, at times.

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I'm surprised that none of the COs have checked yet and commented. Horrible!

11 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

... However, if one of those was my cache, I would have checked and made an OM log.

It looks like all logs are written with today's date.   IIRC you guys are a day ahead.

If I checked my email twice a day faithfully, I'd notice that day.   I don't...   Everyone else does?

• Helpful 1
17 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I'm wondering if this is just an armchair 'nutter', and they haven't visited any of those caches.

However, if one of those was my cache, I would have checked and made an OM log.

If one of them was my cache I would check it out and if it was missing would replace it, and either way log an OM with a dead-pan message along the lines of "owner visit - cache OK". Perhaps a day or two later, but before a weekend or any bank holidays. Best not to give the troll any satisfaction.

Anyway hope you have a bonza event.

• Helpful 2
On 4/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, Keystone said:

^^^This!^^^

On 4/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I'm wondering if this is just an armchair 'nutter', and they haven't visited any of those caches.

I'm sure that's the case. I regularly see DNF logs from 0/0 players saying things like, "Someone stole it". It's just somebody sitting at home, using the free app, pranking us. My usual response is to make the cache PMO and watch the logs for any legit DNFs. 

The sad thing is, I went from saying I'd never make any of my caches premium to someone who makes almost all their caches premium. :mellow:

I'm curious if you've seen anything similar from a different user name. While HQ banned them, they can easily create another free account and keep going. 

9 minutes ago, MtnGoat50 said:

I regularly see DNF logs from 0/0 players saying things like, "Someone stole it". It's just somebody sitting at home, using the free app, pranking us.

I see that a lot, but mostly from very new cachers who don't yet know what they're doing, when they're assuming if The App isn't pinpointing a nice, big, easily found box, that "someone stole it".  Or "It's Gone" or whatever.  It's often not a prank, they made an assumption.  The same people who will ever so helpfully spoil the search for everybody when they do find a cache.  "Look In The Stump!"

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

:laughing: Oh I do love those beginners sometimes, especially when travelling and have some distance to drive, and I want quick finds and on my way again. 'Thank you," I think, and make a note.

I do use those spoilers to help me find caches.  I need all the help I can get. ^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1