Paper maps for caching

Stuey

I'm travelling to Sydney in a few weeks and need paper maps of the area which show paths, tracks etc. I intend to plot the caches on it so I can see the easiest way of finding them. I am used to using Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps over here, so something similar would be great.

I'll also be in the Culburra/Jervis Bay area and will probably benefit from a map of that area too. Any suggestions of manufacturers and suppliers please?

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Stuey

Sorry for the delay in replying.

If your going to be in Sydney, just pickup a Sydway Street directory. It covers a large part of the Sydney basin. It uses an UTM grid with a AUS66 map datum, it will get you within cooeee of most caches.

They cost around $19.95 at most petrol stations, RRP is around $34 but never pay that!!! Of course thats in Australian dollars so that would be half a Euro for you.

Hope you have a good trip, give us a yell if you need more info.

Topomaps are fairly easily available from outdoors supply stockists and cover the Jervis Bay area. Cost is about $8 a pop.

Cheers

Odlid Dave

Edited by odlids

"Odlids".. there's a name that's been cropping up in my GPX files for the past week or so :D. Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to be in Caringbah, Culburra, Sydney central area, then down to Eden for a few days (it's a bit cache-sparse down there!). I fly over Friday morning arriving 20 minutes before the World Cup Final kicks off at 8pm your time. Fingers crossed I make it for the game, and double fingers crossed us pommies do well... if not, I'll just have to have fun caching when I get a chance.

Thanks for the map tip. That's really useful! I hadn't thought of changing Datum... silly me. I was looking for S35 12.345 E150 56.789 co-ords on maps. UTM and AUS66 it is then. Cheers!

Stuey :)

Stuey,

We live at Jannali about 6 to 7 kilometres away from Caringbah, and our latest cache "Foldalong the dotted line" is not all that far away from Jervis Bay.

NSW topographic maps are available on line from

http://topoweb.lpi.nsw.gov.au/LPIdisclaim.htm

they use a map datum that is close enough to WGS84 to make no difference.

As a matter of interest current temp here @ 12 noon is 31degrees C at approx 75% humidity. Although they are forecasting cooler weather for Saturday.

We have our own local site and forum at

http://geocaching.com.au/

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Odlid Dave

Hi Dave,

Well, I've been to Australia and back now, and what a wonderful trip it was! I landed in time to watch the majority of the Rugby World Cup Final at the airport (great atmosphere, better result :o) , and then we had 4 days of rain :lol:, oh well... you needed it for your gardens, hehe, so that was okay :P.

It got warm after that, and sunny too. I only managed to get one cache done from 7 attempts initially, initiating me thinking that all Aussie cache's were impossible. I was successful finding Wreck Sight! and deposited my own TB, "Back from Down Under" there, who wants to come back home to England. I had a few email exchanges with some previous finders of my failed attempts and had some more clues as to where to look. I then managed to find Tunnel of Doom (an amazing cache, simply incredible! and my best ever!), then had a final day on my own in Sydney caching by foot. I walked 11 miles to get 4 from 7 attempted caches. It was a good day out, followed by a long and weary flight home.

A great trip was had by all, and I can't wait to return. I went through Jannali a few times I think, but didn't get off the train.

In return for your assistance with my requests before my trip, I had really intended to do one of your caches. Saddleback wasn't too far away from where I was staying, but I needed my sister to be able to drive me up there. There was no way I was going to cycle all the way up there! I had intended to do it, then cycle down to Seven Mile Secrets. This day plan was scuppered when my niece was ill, and we were all housebound for the day (well, I went out to the beach, but couldn't get to the Saddleback). Next time B)

Great to hear you had a good time down under.

It was good that you managed to eventually find some caches. The "Tunnel of Doom" is a fantastic location, I've been there a few times ( long before the cache was placed) it is a great section of coast line.

Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Cheers

Odlid Dave

Well, I've been to Australia and back now, and what a wonderful trip it was! I was successful finding Wreck Sight! and deposited my own TB, "Back from Down Under" there, who wants to come back home to England.

If anyone is ever in the vicinity of the Wreck Site or Tunnel of Doom caches, could someone be so kind as to move my Travel Bug to a busier cache please :blink:

It's been there since December, right through your summer holidays. I had hoped that there would be some traffic to that part of the world (Jervis Bay), but I was the last visitor.

I wanted to post this in the Aussie Geocaching site, but it won't allow me to log on for some reason <_<.