Hazards and pitfalls for hiding caches?

Guest LazyLeopard

Guest LazyLeopard

What are the hazards and pitfalls a visiting pommie neo-cacher might fall into when trying to hide a cache Down Under? A few I could think of were:

* You'd want to put it somewhere it's not too likely to get destroyed by a fire, even a cool-burn.

* You'd want to avoid putting it somewhere where some of Australia's more lethal critters might decide to take up residence.

* You wouldn't want to upset the Authorities in the area. (Which probably rules out planting caches in National and Regional Parks?)

* It could be kinda difficult to get back to check on caches...

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

I am a Ranger with NSW National Parks, and I can tell you that it certainly is a problem planting caches in National Parks.

There are very strict laws inplace concerning disturbing anything in a National Park. Even if you are planning to hide a cache under a rock or under some leaves how can you be sure that you are not causing some damage or disturbance to a threatened or endangered plant or animal, or disturbing some significant cultural artefact?

I was very unset to find that there had been a cache planted in Mungo National Park, a place of not only regional but world significance. A place that is so fragile that any amount of damage can be wrought by just a few people consentrating more on finding a few trinkets rather than being aware of their own actions in such a place.

I'm not saying don't go there, on the contrary, go and experience this totally unique place, but in a land of 1.5 million square kilometres, surley you can find a few square metres out side the 2.5 odd percent of the continent that is National Park.

I will be passing on the co-ordinates for the Mungo cache to my collegues there, and any others that I find in National Parks and removing any that I find in the areas that I manage.

I am sure that you would not like to leave such a place with a minimum $300.00 fine (three times that for subsequant offences) for something so easily avoided.

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited 06 December 2001).]

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
I am a Ranger with NSW National Parks, and I can tell you that it certainly is a problem planting caches in National Parks.

Thanks for the information.

quote:

I am sure that you would not like to leave such a place with a minimum $300.00 fine

I'd be more concerned with leaving something that could cause damage, trouble, danger etc. both to those trying to look after an area, and to those who might try to find a cache, which is why I asked...

I presume the same restrictions would apply to regional parks, or do the rules vary from place to place? (Clearly the rule-of-thumb "if in doubt, err on the side of caution" applies.)

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest GeoMonkeys

to pick up on another of your points...

losing a cache to fire!, in over a year of geocaching in Sydney NSW australia we can only note one cache that has been lost to a fire, it was called "!!Fathers Day!!", and when we visited, prevoius to the hazard reduction burn that took this cache from us, we commented on how thick the "Fuel" was in this area. So a guide to cache "fire proofing" would be to see how much leaf and branch litter the area you have in mind has on it, otr the potential for "fuel" to collect over time. avoid this, and your safe.

There are plenty of nice coastal areas that could do with a cache or two, and they are mostly rocky,sandy, and lush perenial plants, so little risk of fire there!

all the best on you trip.

If you're going to be in Sydney, give us a hoy and we can take you on some cool cache hunts!

Geomonkeys!

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
If you're going to be in Sydney,

Thanks for the thoughts on fire-proofing. I'm heading for Perth, so I don't expect I'll be dropping by this time... icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
If you're going to be in Sydney,

Thanks for the thoughts on fire-proofing. I'm heading for Perth, so I don't expect I'll be dropping by this time... icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest LynPatNat

even if its illegal to place caches in National Park it may not stop some from doing it.So if you plan to place one in a park make it reachable without disturbance of the enviroment.That is use tracks and place the cache without removing things.A virtual cache where the details could only be known by someone that had walked the trail.As someone else said..Think outside the box.and to the ranger that plans stomping all over the place to find the cache in the park..does that make you any better?.Maybe get clever and contact the papers and see if you can educate the public of how to do it rather than punish after the fact.It may be $ 300 well spent..hmmmm. LynPatNat

------------------

Lyn Pat and Nathan

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

What are the hazards and pitfalls a visiting pommie neo-cacher might fall into when trying to hide a cache Down Under? A few I could think of were:

* You'd want to put it somewhere it's not too likely to get destroyed by a fire, even a cool-burn.

* You'd want to avoid putting it somewhere where some of Australia's more lethal critters might decide to take up residence.

* You wouldn't want to upset the Authorities in the area. (Which probably rules out planting caches in National and Regional Parks?)

* It could be kinda difficult to get back to check on caches...

first of all i would say you should go find caches before you plant one. once youve found about 10 or more youll have a good idea of were other ppl have placed caches and how to do it yourself

Guest LazyLeopard

I'm now back in UK, but I've left three new caches and two travel bugs in WA. I hope you enjoy finding them, now that I've corrected the positional typos in two of them... :/

Next time I'll download the positions from geocaching.com and double-check them sooner.

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest LynPatNat

its good to see we can even attract the english to our shores...wasnt it just 200 years ago all you needed to do was take a loaf of bread and they sent you here for a bit or R and R. we hope you enjoyed the best that perth has to offer you LazyLeapord...cheers and have a pint of the best for us !!!!

------------------

Lyn Pat and Nathan

Guest SNIFTER

For the overseas people may I say that our National Parks are everywhere. Almost every bit of green around our cities is owned by National Parks and Wildlife Service. If we want to go for a walk, hike, etc you can almost bet that you will be in a NPWS area. These areas are absolutetly beautiful, just have a look on some of our logs of the scenery our geocachers have taken. We love our country and we do not place our caches where we are going to do ecological damage.

We place our caches so we can share our experiences with others. This might be the views, flora or fauna.

Guest Team Canyonero

Whilst I agree that the Flora and Fauna should be protected, I believe you should be able to put a cache wherever you like.

The bottom line is that if you are hiding a cache in a National Park and you hide it properly, nobody will know about it except Geocachers. And those Geocachers *should* respect the area...

However, the cache should not be placed in an area which will increase the foot traffic and damage that area. When placing a cache, stop and think about the location. If there is a high probability that people may damage the area whilst looking for a cache, re-think the location.

Also think about the clues. If the cache is hidden too well it can increase the damage to the surrounding areas.

Use your common sense and people are less likely to get upset and/or condemn Geocaching.

If you are really worried, make it a virtual cache...

Just my 2c worth...

------------------