benchmark

utedude

hey this would be good, after reading about benchmarks it would be very helpful to someone just like me-just signed on-newbie.like maybe the local post office or um pub ahem!

I am drunk and you are ugly, but tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly

We have survey marks, which are similar. I think they serve a similar purpose.

Cachers in Australia sometimes use them as part of a multi cache. They are a round brass disk around 10cm and can sometimes be found on concrete gutters. They don’t have any lat/long info.

You can use a trig to test your GPS. Trigs are often found on hilltops and are often in the shape of a concrete white pillar or a pile of stones with a pole topped off with black marker. Some trigs have the lat/long some don’t but all are marked on topographical maps.

We have a Survey Mark with the Lat and Long on it out at the Zoo - Western Plains Zoo that is. Can't wait till I get my new GPSr and test it out. See how close it is out there.

Great site for a new cache for here too!

Bronze.

ICQ me 153415991

Stevesallychandler@yahoo.com

You can find official Survey Marks on most street corners. Usually one per intersection around 2m in from the corner. They are not allways there and are sometimes overgrown or have a cover on them. The cover is normally like a small manhole with Survey Mark written on it.