What to place in caches?

We are trying to put together some caches to plant. We have been making a bit of a collection of things to place into them but would like to hear what other geocachers use, or perhaps what they might like to find? OK I know what kind of a reply I will get, the winning lotto ticket, etc etc. ha ha. Seriously though, what sort of things are being planted around the place? thanks

i went to crazy clark's and another discount store yesterday and bought a bunch of things to place in caches. you can get quite good things for only a $1 each, such as padlocks, screwdriver set, etc. i would've bought a few cheap games/toys for the kids visiting caches but they didn't have much in that department that would fit inside a cache. aa batteries are great too. i'm not too fussed about what i find in caches - it's about the adventure icon_smile.gif

d.

i went to crazy clark's and another discount store yesterday and bought a bunch of things to place in caches. you can get quite good things for only a $1 each, such as padlocks, screwdriver set, etc. i would've bought a few cheap games/toys for the kids visiting caches but they didn't have much in that department that would fit inside a cache. aa batteries are great too. i'm not too fussed about what i find in caches - it's about the adventure icon_smile.gif

d.

Hit the $2 shops for all your cache requirements.

Make up themed caches.

I just placed a cache (The Bunny) and I have made it a Matchbox car themed cache. It contains 4 brandnew Matchbox cars to be only swapped with Matchbox cars.

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

Here are some ideas:

1. A disposable camera. Geocachers can take a picture of themselves when they find the cache. When the camera is full ask that you be notified and then post the pictures on the internet.

2. Theme'd cache

Declare the theme:

Australian Theme (flag, coin, books)

Footy theme (Scarf, merchandise, etc)

Animal theme (Pictures, models)

Replacements should be made in theme

etc

3. Place a "traveller" in the cache

Place an item in the cache that has to be moved to another cache each time it has been found. Like a travel bug. You could use a disposable camera as a traveller. You'd have to be notified of each place the camera has been moved to.

4. An Empty Cache

If you run out of ideas, start with a null cache and request that items with or without a theme be placed in the cache. Must have the "must haves" (see below)

5. A uni cache

Have a cache with a single item. This cache cannot be changed. Some worthwhile item in it. Must also have the must haves.

MUST HAVE:

Notebook & Pen to record visits

Cover all items in zip lock bags

THe geocache intro page

I like to put at least 6 NEW items in my caches. They could be anything from a packet of M+Ms or Jilas, key rings, candles, watches, soap, whatever the nearest $2 shop has. I rarely come out under $40 when I go there. Just find some caches and take note of the contents especially if they are reasonably new ones. Sometimes if you are lucky Ideology will have been to the cache just before you and have left a piece of Ideogear. It is what your pocket can afford remembering that a well placed cache with a good hunt is worth a bit more than a drive by one.(Thats my opinion)

Remember that families visit caches and sometimes it is nice for the kids to get something.

I have a wonderful collection of plastic spiders and bugs that I have found along the way. You soon get to know what the regular cachers like.

A themed cached is great fun eg Purple.

Use your imagination.

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

I like to put at least 6 NEW items in my caches. They could be anything from a packet of M+Ms or Jilas, key rings, candles, watches, soap, whatever the nearest $2 shop has. I rarely come out under $40 when I go there. Just find some caches and take note of the contents especially if they are reasonably new ones. Sometimes if you are lucky Ideology will have been to the cache just before you and have left a piece of Ideogear. It is what your pocket can afford remembering that a well placed cache with a good hunt is worth a bit more than a drive by one.(Thats my opinion)

Remember that families visit caches and sometimes it is nice for the kids to get something.

I have a wonderful collection of plastic spiders and bugs that I have found along the way. You soon get to know what the regular cachers like.

A themed cached is great fun eg Purple.

Use your imagination.

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's worth giving a little thought to what sorts of conditions the contents of a cache will have to survive. If the summer temperature's likely to hit the forties at some stage then things like M&Ms are likely to melt. If the winter temperature drops below zero then things like bottles of water might freeze and burst. Neither will do much good to the rest of the cache contents.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I am from the United States and in my hometown of Maryland, I have hidden the most caches to date. I have hidden 20 of them. I have found that most people really don't care as to what the contents are. They are just in it for the thrill of the hunt. Although there are a few that really enjoy the contents in my caches. I just hid one called "Klause's Collector's Cache" and inside were all collectors items in mint condition. The contents were: 1st edition U.K. comics, porcelain doll, gold dollar, antique glass, vhs movies, sports hall of fame photos, trading cards, pic. frame, State quarters, etc.. For caches like this, I make the difficulty and terrain rather tough.