Ok Aussies....What do we want, need, for our maps??

Guest embi

Jeremy has removed the maps from the Aussie cache pages.

Do we want maps in the future?

What info do we want on these maps?

Very basic info?

Detailed? (I think that was sorted out).

I personally think that a map of the state with a pin in the general area of the cache would suffice. Just a quick glance would let you see if it was within your local vicinity.

Any ideas? comments?

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Guest SNIFTER

Hi Mark

A pin in the area is ok, at least if we are in Sydney and you place a new cache we are not going to do a midnight ride to the boarder.I know that I have got excited at a new cache untill I have found that it is 600kms away.

Guest SNIFTER

A pin in the area is ok, at least if we are in Sydney and you place a new cache we are not going to do a midnight ride to the boarder.I know that I have got excited at a new cache untill I have found that it is 600kms away.

I'm not sure if maps are required on the main page, after all you have the option of clicking on the Map Quest or MapBlast links if you want to see the general area. I think you should leave it up to us to decide if we want to see a map or not, the same as we get the choice to decrypt the additional hints if we want.

For me researching the cache is just as much fun as actually getting out there and looking for it.

Having said that I can see what SNIFTER is getting at, but we don't have the problem of caches being 600kms away in Tasmania - anything that far away is a Victorian cache icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 12 February 2002).]

I'm not sure if maps are required on the main page, after all you have the option of clicking on the Map Quest or MapBlast links if you want to see the general area. I think you should leave it up to us to decide if we want to see a map or not, the same as we get the choice to decrypt the additional hints if we want.

For me researching the cache is just as much fun as actually getting out there and looking for it.

Having said that I can see what SNIFTER is getting at, but we don't have the problem of caches being 600kms away in Tasmania - anything that far away is a Victorian cache icon_smile.gif

I am of the same thinking as SNIFTER. I have often got excited about a new cache to find its a few hours away. A quick look at a pin on a map of Victoria would be great! icon_smile.gif

------------------

I am of the same thinking as SNIFTER. I have often got excited about a new cache to find its a few hours away. A quick look at a pin on a map of Victoria would be great! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Guest LazyLeopard

I guess it depends how big the state is, and what sort of reference marks (towns, roads, rivers, coastlines) show on the map. For Western Australia, a map of the whole state will cover too much area to be of much use (unless it fills half the screen), except for the broadest possible hint as to location. A box 5 degrees on a side is going to give a better indication, but only if there are some good reference marks within it. Such maps as I saw of WA caches (and I only peeked at a few, as I'm currently 9000 miles away) actually gave a good enough indication of location for a casual check, I thought....

When I was cache hunting in WA over Xmas I found I had to plot positions onto a paper map anyway, as none of the web-accessible map-sites gave much useful information, and the Garmin Worldmap CD was rather poor on detail...

Links to _local_ (and therefore hopefully more detailed) map sites from geocaching.com would be good, if any exist. Are there any good Australian map sites?

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Guest SNIFTER

How excited was I when the Planet of the apes cache came to NSW. Problem was it was at least an 8 hour drive. Yes I would have gone for it but by the time Peter got out of bed it had been found.

We will stick to our little weapon. I know it cost us but thats why we got it. The best maps we have found. Magellen CD. You can get them for all states.

Guest hgmonaro

the couple I saw before they were turned of I thought were ok. The little pic of the state was useless (and unnessary) but I thought the bigger 'detailed' version was fine.. Enough info to save doing some mental gymnastics with latitudes and longitudes but just a pin marker in the state would be fine too.