Mapping archived caches in lists

GeoElmo6000

It used to be that when I created a list and a cache was archived, if I mapped the list it should show up in grey (almost like it was disabled).  But now they don't show up at all.  Is there a way to map archived caches through lists?  I need to be able to map archived caches for something I'm working on.  Thanks!

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

It used to be that when I created a list and a cache was archived, if I mapped the list it should show up in grey (almost like it was disabled).  But now they don't show up at all.  Is there a way to map archived caches through lists?  I need to be able to map archived caches for something I'm working on.  Thanks!

If you make a PQ from the list, preview the PQ and map that, you'll see the archived caches as greyed circles as you describe.

• Helpful 5

The reason: The PQ is a collection of data per the search parameters, and once compiled you can download and view however you like, or use the map preview link which does the same (though the PQ doesn't need to be run to view the map preview).  The List still uses the Advanced Search engine to produce results that plot on the map - which in one way makes sense that archived doesn't show up, but on the other hand, it's plotting a list of specific GCs so you'd think it should.

I any case. On gc.com, yeah, now the only way to see archived on a map other than your own is the PQ map, afaik.

Edited by thebruce0
typo

Although I'm happy to see that this works, it is another annoying inconsistency. If archived caches have been deliberately excluded from mapping in one situation (presumably for a reason), then why would they be mappable in another situation? Kind of like that warning popup you get when you click on a link in the cache description, for some reason not neccessary if you right-click and choose "open in new tab"?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, ChriBli said:

Although I'm happy to see that this works, it is another annoying inconsistency. If archived caches have been deliberately excluded from mapping in one situation (presumably for a reason), then why would they be mappable in another situation? Kind of like that warning popup you get when you click on a link in the cache description, for some reason not neccessary if you right-click and choose "open in new tab"?

I think you have it backwards, archived caches in lists should show up when lists are mapped like they do in PQs, but because the search map is so terrible compared to the browse map, they don't show up there when they should.

To add to my prior comment, it's still kind of pseudo-mappable. You can view another user's owned geocaches on the map, and archived icons appear greyed out, but still if you tap on one you get the "Can't display" popup message, and the endless loop of canceling it so that you can't get back to the functional map without reloading the page.

At least that's what happened to me last night. 

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I think you have it backwards, archived caches in lists should show up when lists are mapped like they do in PQs, but because the search map is so terrible compared to the browse map, they don't show up there when they should.

Backwards or forwards, my point was just that it is inconsistent. Of course I would like archived caches to show up in both cases, and I sincerely hope that the answer to the question of why they don't is not "We don't know how to do that". Implementation details should not be allowed to leak into the user experience.