‘View Profile > View All Geocache Hides’ now lists with Oldest first rather than Newest

Lostboy1966

If you’re looking up a Player that has a large number of Hides, you can expect the oldest ones to have more Archived than the newer, Active ones. The site used to list newest Hides first, but that seems to have been reversed. I understand that we can re-sort by clicking on the Placed On column twice, but this seems counter-intuitive for what would be the most useful default view for players. The 'View all Finds' for a player still lists from most recent down.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
25 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

If you’re looking up a Player that has a large number of Hides, you can expect the oldest ones to have more Archived than the newer, Active ones. The site used to list newest Hides first, but that seems to have been reversed. I understand that we can re-sort by clicking on the Placed On column twice, but this seems counter-intuitive for what would be the most useful default view for players. The 'View all Finds' for a player still lists from most recent down.

I see that!

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

Good, so I'm not crazy. On this point anyway. :bad:

I also see it. It's the change that is crazy. I don't understand how this kind of things happen. I refuse to believe that someone decided to change the default order. By the way, I had to click twice to order it correctly. On the first click, a circumflex appeared but it was still sorted oldest on top.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Hi.

Using the web based link, when I click on the 'newest cache' option  it now lists caches in reverse order starting at 2002 and only listing 50 caches. Also the list that comes up includes caches that have had many finds. I have tried changing options for the search but it makes no difference. Is it a universal glitch or some thing to do with my settings. It had been working perfectly till today and no changes have been made.

Regards

Adrian

Hi there,

the "New Caches" filter hasn't been correct for a few days.
If I click the button, I get the oldest caches displayed.
I then have to click on the hiding date so that the latest caches are displayed to me.
Anyone else have this bug?
Greetings SAMAKA
1 hour ago, SAMAKA said:

Hi there,

the "New Caches" filter hasn't been correct for a few days.
If I click the button, I get the oldest caches displayed.
I then have to click on the hiding date so that the latest caches are displayed to me.
Anyone else have this bug?
Greetings SAMAKA

Sept. 25, 2001 is the date of the newest cache in my area. 

• Funny 3

I think the issue is someone being strict about parameter value case sensitivity.

Here's weirdness I've found:

1. I have a bookmark for an old search which the website forwards to the new formatting. In that bookmark, I have the old parameters "...asc=False&sort=PlaceDate..."

2. It eventually redirects (annoyingly removing the personal note option, but that's another topic) with the parameters "...asc=true&sort=placedate...".  To note, there is no directional arrow on the "Placed Date" column, but it defaults to ascending.

3. I click "Placed Date" and the URL parameters become "...asc=true&sort=placeDate..." with the directional arrow now appearing - the only difference a capital D.

4. I click again and it becomes "...asc=false&sort=placeDate..."

If I change it to "asc=False", it resets to the default "asc=true&sort=placeDate"

Honestly, those values should not be case sensitive for one. There's no reason for them to be. If there is an incorrect case for one letter, the entire combination of relevant parameters may reset to something entirely different or not result in consistent interface.

Final observations:

* It looks like the direction arrow is case sensitive on the 'sort' value, and the list being returned as sorted relies only the lowercase value of "asc" (true/false) otherwise it resets both fields to the default sort.

* Redirections from the prior search result url (/play/search?...) alter the URL twice - a redirect to /play/results?ot... and then a url rewrite to /play/results/?ct... and during these two url alterations the parameters are getting tossed around. It's messy. If my cursory analysis is accurate... If there are url rewrites happening elsewhere, this could be a cause for some of the sorting weirdness if case sensitivity of values/parameters isn't consistent across the board, or case sensitivity isn't removed.

cc @Bl4ckH4wkGER

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Two weeks in and if anything it is now more broken than before.

I now get to see  5 pages of 200 future events from all over the world, no sign of the 30 mile radius from home that there used to be.

At least the sort order seems to be correct 2023! is the first cache on the list, though it is over 10000 miles away.

I can go in and add or correct all the parameters myself, but then that would be classed as a 'Premium' feature.

5 hours ago, gjhimages said:

Today (2021-04-21), when I search for the newest Geocache it shows caches 7000 miles away!  Now it is not the oldest, but it appears to be the furtherest away.

310735455_ScreenShot2022-04-21at9_39_37AM.thumb.png.23b37e286f685e0f7ae2c409157fc021.png

I had the same issue, and like others here have been having issues with the "Newest" filter for weeks now.  Showing oldest first, events, furthest first, etc.  Is there an anticipated date by which this will be resolved?

• Funny 1
On 4/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, Lostboy1966 said:

Totally agree, it drives me NUTS.