Finding geocaches in my area up for adoption

geotracters

I've been looking for a while in my area for caches that I can adopt but its very hard to find any. Is there a website or something that can show/notify me of any caches up for adoption in my area? If there are none, how do I increase my chances of finding one up for adoption or get asked if I want to adopt one?

Edited by geotracters
Added extra sentence incase first question does not have an answer
  • Funny 1
26 minutes ago, geotracters said:

I've been looking for a while in my area for caches that I can adopt but its very hard to find any. Is there a website or something that can show/notify me of any caches up for adoption in my area?

Except for maybe Facebook, I don't know of any place one would announce they have geocaches to adopt. Individual caches pages may have a note about the option, for example if the owner is moving away. All of the geocaches I adopted were after the cache owner asked me to,  because they were moving away or unable to maintain them.

Why do you want to adopt one?

Edited by Max and 99

Just hide you own cache(s) and take care of them. You can also set up a Notification for Needs Archived logs, and maybe contact those Cache Owners about adopting their cache with issues. Be ready for a lot of No Thank Yous when you ask.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
20 minutes ago, geotracters said:

I've been looking for a while in my area for caches that I can adopt but its very hard to find any. Is there a website or something that can show/notify me of any caches up for adoption in my area? If there are none, how do I increase my chances of finding one up for adoption or get asked if I want to adopt one?

I would suggest that you get to know the local geocaching community, attend events, communicate with local cache owners, and make your willingness to adopt be known in the local community.  The cache "adoptions" we have seen have generally been on a personal, one to one basis among our local group - when our son moved out of the area he asked us and a few other locals to adopt some of his caches.

You've only hidden 9 - hide a few more, and show that you can maintain them adequately.  Become known as a competent, quality cache owner; get to know the local community, and offers for adoption may come to you.  Adoption is not that commonplace anyway - caches are usually archived, abandoned, and new ones take their place.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

I would suggest that you get to know the local geocaching community, attend events, communicate with local cache owners, and make your willingness to adopt be known in the local community.  The cache "adoptions" we have seen have generally been on a personal, one to one basis among our local group - when our son moved out of the area he asked us and a few other locals to adopt some of his caches.

You've only hidden 9 - hide a few more, and show that you can maintain them adequately.  Become known as a competent, quality cache owner; get to know the local community, and offers for adoption may come to you.  Adoption is not that commonplace anyway - caches are usually archived, abandoned, and new ones take their place.

Ok, thank you! I'll use this advice in the future. I have a ton of caches at home so I won't need to worry about that and I've been to a few events, luckily there's a bunch coming up soon. Too bad I can't adopt them from inactive cachers.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:00 PM, Mockingbird559 said:

What about the possibility of a new attribute called "Cache Is Up For Adoption"?

EXTREMELY complicated process, adding attributes. Many factors, among them the fact that there are lots of other vendors that consume that data and not all of them are 'unexpected-data' tolerant, which of course is THEIR problem, but it'll be cachers that pay the price when their devices produce bad results.

There are lots of threads here in the fora about adding attributes; do some searching if you really want to know more.

• Helpful 1